Author Topic: Editing Panning Function On A Genos Midi  (Read 62701 times)

Reg

Editing Panning Function On A Genos Midi
« on: September 29, 2019, 01:55:39 AM »
   I recorded a midi file on my Genos. I would like to edit the panning on one of the tracks so that the sound travels from right to left during the playback. I could not do this during recording for obvious reasons (not enough hands).   When I tried to edit
 the track during playback  the panning did respond as required but did not save.
A simple fix surely.  Thanks, Reg

Online EileenL

Re: Editing Panning Function On A Genos Midi
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 12:57:00 PM »
You need to enter the panning instructions into the track or tracks within the song creator events pages. Press Step record and select the track you want to work on.

Reg

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 05:00:57 PM »
   Thank you Eileen.  I can find style creator and multipad  creator but not song creator.  Reg

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 08:14:36 PM »
... I can find style creator and multipad  creator but not song creator.  Reg

Hi Reg,

on GENOS, the "Song Creator" of Tyros- and PSR-S models is "Recording" ---> "MIDI Multi Recording". :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Reg

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 04:55:53 PM »
  I selected step edit (23 pages of options).   Eventually found the panning edit page and checked it.    Have no idea what to do from there.   Do I deselect everything else?  Then what?  Several arrows but I do not see how I can create a panning in live motion from left to right.  To me this should be able to create while re recording the midi with the panning window open on the Genos screen. Not very user friendly . Thanks for the related posts.   Reg

Reg

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 10:31:41 PM »
 I managed to resolve this problem without  the step edit process being necessary.
I recorded the track again while moving the panning knob from left to right and the effect was complete and saved.  Reg

Offline Joe H

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 05:26:29 AM »
If you had a copy of StyleMagic, you could just enter the multieditor (piano roll) and use the mouse to enter the pan messages graphically.  Everything is easier with StyleMagic.

;)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Reg

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 07:59:00 PM »
I will have a look at Style Magic Joe.   Now that I found it could be done via recording
it was reasonably simple.   Thank you.  Reg

Offline Joe H

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 09:03:25 PM »
You can download a demo copy of StyleMagic.  It is fully functional except for SAVE.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Reg

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 02:40:26 AM »
Thanks again Joe. Reg

Offline valimaties

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 02:44:14 PM »
Thanks again Joe. Reg

It is very hard to implement the pan controls in StyleMagic YA. There are a lot of controls to add if you want to make a smooth pan.
The easiest way I think is to open your style in Cubase and use line tool to draw pan controls. Like in this picture.

The only "hard" thing to do is to recreate the CASM for that style.

But if you look in Cubase picture, there are a lot of controls you have to add manually, one by one, in StyleMagic YA.
I have wrote to Thomas about an implementation of the Line tool in its software. I wait for a response.

Regards,Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline valimaties

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 07:57:47 PM »
I have a quickly response from Thomas.
He give me a beta version which has some shortcuts for drawing controls in MultiEditor, only I cannot use it right now, because I don't find my dongle.

So great news about Style Magic YA ;)

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 12:17:36 AM »
Vali,

Open the multieditor.  From the midi messages field at the top of the screen, select Pan message.  Use your mouse to add (any cc) messages
(Left-click to insert Right-click to delete) pan messages at the timing you wish.  For ping-pong effect you will only need to add one at the beginning of the style part loop and at the end of the loop. For smoother panning, you can add pan messages in between.

Now that I think about it... I think you can do this in MixMaster as well.  You can add (insert) filter or Pan sweeps, I think that is done in the List View.

Joe H
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 12:22:13 AM by Joe H »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 11:10:07 PM »
Thanks Joe,
but is very hard to insert 200 or more controls manually one by one. So he did some shortcuts in application. Holding CTRL will appear an pencil icon and let you draw controls. But I tell him is not so accurate, it has to change the function to be able to draw a line (start point - end point) and he must calculate and add controls automatically, a number of "x" controls to be smooth ;)
For deleting them, also, he added a shortcut, using Shift key. But it also is difficult deleting a lot of controls using Shift + left click. He must add an event for drag, to be able to delete all events as long as you press and hold Shift key and press Left mouse click and drag .

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 02:58:00 AM »
Vali,

While adding Filter and Pan sweeps and Expression (for side chain) effects, these all will add dynamics to a style... the problem with a lot of controller messages is that there is a size limit for style files.  Just a few controllers is all we need to get the effect we want.  When there are a lot of controller messages, I use MixMaster to "thin" the controller messages to keep the size of the style file within limits. 

Joe H

Offline valimaties

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2019, 12:35:25 PM »
My "200 or more" controls was an fictive example, you cannot add 200 :D But to create a smooth panning effect you must add a consistent number of controls, you cannot add only 4 or 8 controls in a 4/4 measure, there are too few. Maybe 16, or 32 are enough, but you can accept only after you hear the style playing. That's why the best approach in my opinion is to let user choose if number can be increased or decreased after you draw the line in MultiEditor ;) Or could be a number which take care of base tempo of the style, if it is a fast tempo, it can add fewer control, if it is slow tempo, it can add more ;)

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2019, 04:30:50 PM »
... That's why the best approach in my opinion is to let user choose if number can be increased or decreased after you draw the line in MultiEditor ;) Or could be a number which take care of base tempo of the style, if it is a fast tempo, it can add fewer control, if it is slow tempo, it can add more ;)

Regards,
Vali

I agree completely.

I can hardly wait for the next release of StyleMagic!

Joe H