Author Topic: Do you want to compare: SX900 vs. S970?  (Read 13139 times)

Offline ton37

Do you want to compare: SX900 vs. S970?
« on: September 28, 2019, 09:35:54 AM »
Two song played by Alois Muller (DE) on various KB (S970 and SX900) Song, Missisippi - Pussycat (Dutch tophit ;-))
Just want to share with you:

PSR-SX900 - .... does it sound new? #2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lfaevoxUp8 (Listen from 4:10)

YAMAHA PSR-S970 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5RoNixC7Go&feature=youtu.be (Listen from: 1:25)

Judge yourself  ;)

Besides: everything Alois plays sounds good  ;D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 09:37:06 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Pino

Re: Do you want to compare: SX900 vs. S970?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 11:14:02 AM »
Alois is a very good player, he would make a PSR 3000 sound just as good.

I’ve said this from the launch of the SX900, what your buying is a touch screen, better keyboard, more memory and a few other bits that a few players may use,

90% of the voices are same as S970 if not S910 and all the new styles will work on the S910
As soon as I get some time I will record some songs on my S910, will sound just as good as the SX900, there are so many options to tune a style from the filters to FX to EQ,

And surprisingly, Yamaha has not given us a better sequencer or the ability to edit a Quick recording, like quantising the chords, that would be of real value to a beginner or a student that hasn’t mastered accurate timing for playing the chords on the bar.

But, at the end of the day, it’s a new style of MOR keyboard and I’m sure they will sell many.

Pino

The following users thanked this post: gogo

blackpool

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 11:44:33 AM »
I Think your bang on! Pino

I really feel saturation point is about at its peak for great sound reproduction, well for most of 'Joe Public' 
Most of my family and friends could not tell the difference between my £300 Korg Ek50 V my £3000 Genos !! 10X the price!!!
Although technically they are WORLDS apart.

To me now, its about 'ease of use' and having touch screens and better control layouts, key action, along of course with a good selection of decent factory styles and voicing.
You are quite right, there seems to have been little change in the sound in most of the models in this range over the last 15 years ....well - IMHO. Plus, if your using a great PA that makes a world of difference.

I am an 'out of the box' player and cant be bothered spending half my time tinkering with parameters and like to tweak as little as possible. I do find the later models seem to be more 'plug and play' which is a bonus and that''s what your paying for.

The good thing is the prices now V 15 to 20 years ago are far more realistic and affordable, so I dont mind up-grading. Plus the new PSR with 'some' Genos features is just what I have been waiting for in a 61 note package so it is a decent step up from the s970/5.  In fact the new model is little different in price to the 975 at its peak and if you consider the old s900/10 by today's standards they would now be astronomic!

Looking forward to getting my sx900

Keith   
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 12:38:25 PM by blackpool »

Offline ton37

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 01:14:03 PM »

I’ve said this from the launch of the SX900, what your buying is a touch screen, better keyboard, more memory and a few other bits that a few players may use,

…….. ..
Pino
to be more precisely, the other bits you can use are e.g.:
Chord Looper
Style reset
great speakers
edit a song from the panel and save all changes,
Joy- stick
6 programmable buttons,
3 voices, 3 split points
Real Reverb +
30 various user memories
... ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline gogo

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 04:51:02 AM »

90% of the voices are same as S970 if not S910 and all the new styles will work on the S910
As soon as I get some time I will record some songs on my S910, will sound just as good as the SX900, there are so many options to tune a style from the filters to FX to EQ,

And surprisingly, Yamaha has not given us a better sequencer or the ability to edit a Quick recording, like quantising the chords, that would be of real value to a beginner or a student that hasn’t mastered accurate timing for playing the chords on the bar.

But, at the end of the day, it’s a new style of MOR keyboard and I’m sure they will sell many.

Pino
Of all those new features, the most important is the great amount of internal memory which allows for loading external packs - voices and styles. The rest is, as you say, more or less regurgitated stuff carried on from previous generations.

As I program my songs, the features for live playing are not worth it as far as I’m concerned. For example, I don’t need 3 right-hand voices - with MIDI I may have 16 right hand voices. The thing is that I am probably not the suitable market for such keyboard. I also find the various music synthesisers (Mod, Mox and so on) overly complicated for an at home musician. Chose the PSR line for its simplicity

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 09:09:29 PM »
I am a gigging musician with various arrangers including the S970.  I have, like many, built up many, many registrations and folders through the years. I, of coarse, have them on a pen drive.

If I get an SX900, can I keep the same file structure, as well as registrations that are at least close to what I have now? I know they are compatible, somewhat, but don't know if I can slide the pen drive in and go.

Bernie

blackpool

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 10:14:23 PM »
Only just got my 900 Bernie in last day, so not had chance to try my own files out - still setting up - but I used my 970 stuff on genos and it was fine . the 900 is the same OS as genos so it should be fine. - that's why I got one.
Take your pen drive over to your dealer and give it a try.

Registrations from PSR /Tyros can be quickly converted and re-saved to a registration 'playlist' on Genos / SX which is a great feature for gigging.

Keith 

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 12:23:46 AM »
My 970 registrations played fine in my SX900 also All the tyros and Genos registrations will work to. I was using some I had from Tyros 3 and they sounded really good.

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 09:08:28 AM »
Thank you Eileen and keith. I can go ahead and get one now.

Bernie