Author Topic: Registration file name conventions  (Read 12547 times)

apressman

Registration file name conventions
« on: September 27, 2019, 06:39:59 PM »
Hi Folks,

Can anyone tell me what the significance of the registration file names are on the PSR-S970?   I sometimes update files in gig lists (tip o the hat to MBestSoft for Yamaha Registration Manager) and I note the filenames change as well as the dates.

For instance I have:
Story in Your Eyes.S801.RGT
Amazing Grace.T154.RGT
Already Gone.S917.RGT

Any idea what the letters and three digit numbers mean?

Thanks.

The following users thanked this post: murrayb

Offline overover

Re: Registration file name conventions
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 06:57:51 PM »
Hi apressman,

this is the so called "Icon ID" of a filename (one dot, followed by the letter "S" or "T" and a three-digit number).

When you change the ICON of a particular file on the keyboard, that "Icon ID" in the filename will be changed.

But keep in mind: Since changing the ICON also changes the filenname, do NOT change Icons of files linked in Registrations. (Otherwise the Regs can't find the linked files (e. g. styles or MIDI files) anymore.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 09:49:14 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

apressman

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 08:47:19 PM »
Thanks for the quick answer, Chris. 

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 09:57:13 PM »
Hi apressman,

thanks for your feedback!

A little supplement: If the "Icon ID" is missing in a filename, the standard icon for this particular file type will be displayed on the keyboard. And if this file was saved again on the keyboard, the "Icon ID" for the standard icon would automatically be written to the file name.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 10:00:21 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline alanclare

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 08:17:26 AM »
Chris

While you’re “on”, can you explain why it is that when I make a copy of a style to work on it, when I save it under the same name (intending to over-write my original copy), it gets saved as another style but having the same name?

I would expect this to happen if I were working on a pre-set style, the copy appearing in user-memory. But I’m working on a copy on a usb-stick.

Alan

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 01:25:28 PM »
While you’re “on”, can you explain why it is that when I make a copy of a style to work on it, when I save it under the same name (intending to over-write my original copy), it gets saved as another style but having the same name?

I would expect this to happen if I were working on a pre-set style, the copy appearing in user-memory. But I’m working on a copy on a usb-stick.

I have no trouble overwriting the existing user style when saving it. Are you modifying the icon when you save? That would cause it to create a new file with the same name.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: alanclare

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 01:33:46 PM »
I never bother with the icon ID because I do not see them anyway. When I rename a style I just let it be saved without the icon ID number. I am a little curious. Are those icons a help to anyone?
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 01:48:47 PM »
Hi Alan,

Can it be that you are modifying a style with for example a .prs extension? If so once edited and re-saved it gets the .sty extension. So in this case you end up with two styles of the same name. Best way is to rename the newly saved style on your pc after which you can put it back. You could also delete the orginal file and let the edited style where it is but.... if you already made a registration for it you will need to modify that registration too which is more work. Modify your style, save it to usb. Take that USB to your pc and rename the style to its original extension after that you are done and a registration will keep working.

regards,
Peter

Offline alanclare

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 02:23:00 PM »
Thank you to those who responded. I shall do a few experiments to see if I can come up with a standard procedure.

Alan

Offline alanclare

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 02:59:32 PM »
Here’s an example:

I copy a style which has the Style Characteristic “Pro” in small letters above the style name. I paste the copy on to a usb stick. I make changes to the style and save it whence it came. There is no warning to say I’m saving it over an existing style with that name. I examine the contents of the usb stick and there is now another style with the same name, except that the new one doesn’t have a Style Characteristic.

What I do at this point is delete the one designated “Pro’ and work with the new one which contains my changes. The icon-I’d, Toril, has remained the same. When I make further changes to this one, I am warned about the existence of a style with same name.

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 03:31:47 PM »
Alan,

Than the "problem" is what I described earlier on.  The pro in thsi means your style originally has the following format:

1. You copied a style that is for examplke called MyStyle to your usb drive.
2. On your keyboard you can't see the full and actual name of the style but just what is before the first dot.
3. Your copied style's full real name is in this example MyStyle.S000.prs  (the icon numer,S000 and name are as example The .prs as extension is causing the "pro"  to show up).
4. Now you start editing your style and when you re-save it your keyboard will save it (you can't do anything about that it is the default Yamaha way) to: MyStyle.S000.STY
5. See the difference? Now when you take that MyStyle.S00.STY to your pc make sure to rename it back to MyStyle.S000.prs.

As said this is only important when you already have a registration for that style. Since that registration will look for the style with a .prs at the end. It will not find the style if it still has the .sty

please do not mind the typo's  8)

regards,
Peter
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 07:20:57 PM by XeeniX »

Offline alanclare

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2019, 06:09:47 PM »
Peter

Thank you for a full explanation of what has intrigued me for months. I had realised that when I edit a style and saved it that I needed to re-save any registration that referred to it. But I didn’t understand why. Now, thanks for your lucid reply, I feel in control if the process. Thank you again.

Alan

Offline alanclare

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2019, 06:29:49 PM »
P.S.

Peter - I thought that you might like to know that I have printed both your contributions to this thread, and stuck them inside my Owner's Manual.

Alan