Author Topic: Decision about Keyboards for Live and Home Use  (Read 19830 times)

Offline Jay B.

Decision about Keyboards for Live and Home Use
« on: September 27, 2019, 03:39:11 PM »
Hello Fellow Forum Members,

As I did over a year ago, I am seeking input on a decision. All of you were very helpful to me as I was recovering my music and re-entering the realm of live performance. Here's the situation:
  • I am now performing (playing and singing) primarily at my church - both during services and informal public concerts
  • My music is being well-received and I am getting more requests for playing and vocals
  • In April 2018, I purchased a PSR-S970 at a very good price and overall have been very pleased with the sound, features, etc.

I found there are two things about the 970 that have me contemplating a change - the inability to use/record MIDI w/ audio styles and the 61-note keyboard. To be clear, I like to use the arranger's styles to create basic MIDI tracks and then edit them as a quick way to generate backing tracks or MIDIs that I can play and sing with. In certain situations, I also like to use the styles in the more traditional way as live accompaniment, but the former is my preferred way of performing vs. the latter. It does take a lot of adjustment for me to play with styles, as I am a former pro piano player/keyboardist. That last sentence is the reason I am wanting 73-76 keys, as well.

I anticipate that I will be performing more in the coming months/years and want to make sure that my equipment will accommodate what I want to do. So there are some options below and I would like to request any comments thoughts or other ideas:

Sell the 970 and purchase a Genos - $4,300 less proceeds from S970
Pros - 76-keys, TOTL arranger, great sounds, Revo drums, Ensemble mode, one-keyboard convenience
Cons - More than I wanted to spend (as I am not seeking paid work at this time), no built-in speakers (I use these for rehearsal/practice)

Sell the 970 and purchase a PSR-SX900 + a Korg D1 or other ~$600 digital piano - $2,500 less proceeds from S970
Pros - Better version of the 970, eliminates Audio Styles, More memory, better DACs, Genos strings and drum samples, better built-in speakers, very portable (like 970), touchscreen, better keybed, many new features, piano would have 88-keys, lightweight, weighted action, D1 is also a good controller
Cons - Having to handle two keyboards in some situations [big drawback]

Keep the 970 and purchase a Korg D1 or other ~$600 digital piano - $600
Pros - Save $$$, piano would have 88-keys, lightweight, weighted action, D1 is also a good controller
Cons - Having to handle two keyboards in some situations [big drawback], 970 will become less valuable/sellable over time, have to forego the new features, have to work around the audio styles

Very interested to hear your inputs - thank you in advance for taking the time to respond,

Jay B.[/list]

Offline EileenL

Re: Decision about Keyboards for Live and Home Use
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 04:17:06 PM »
Well Audio styles are not being used in the latest keyboards. Genos dose not have them and neither dose the new SX900. The drum sounds have improved a lot. I have just swapped my 970 for the SX900 and am very pleased with it. I has 1Gb of memory and a much better key bed also still very light with improved speakers. If you can you should try one. It also records in MP3 format as well as WAV.

Bachus

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 08:20:20 PM »
Well Audio styles are not being used in the latest keyboards. Genos dose not have them and neither dose the new SX900. The drum sounds have improved a lot. I have just swapped my 970 for the SX900 and am very pleased with it. I has 1Gb of memory and a much better key bed also still very light with improved speakers. If you can you should try one. It also records in MP3 format as well as WAV.

Audio styles are over rated.. they have the least dynamic drums..

But Genos still supports them..  just not has any of them preloaded..

All i can tell the poster is that i love my genos
And that it has some great piano sounds and a keybed that allows to play them quite well..

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 08:48:52 PM »
After nearly 30 plus years as a live performer using an arranger keyboard, you would be hard pressed to find anything better to fit your needs than the SX 900. It will do everything you wish and more.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Jay B.

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 11:24:30 PM »
Eileen, thank you for the input. I wish I could try an SX900, but that will be next to imposible. The state of music stores in the US is quite dire, particularly keyboards. Last year I was fortunate to be traveling to Canada and found an S970 at Long & McQuade to try. If I hadn't liked the sound and the positive reviews on this forum so much, I would not have bought it based on the keybed feel.

Bachus, weren't you trying to find a second keyboard, a MODX or something similar? What is your feedback on using 2 keyboards vs one?

Gary, I am still getting used to an arranger. The OMB concept is new to me. I spent most of my career (musician from 1974-1993, full-time from 1980-93) playing an SY77, DX7, Rhodes Stage, Wurlitzer, Korg M1, etc. OR a grand piano. Hence the two keyboard concepts. I hope you are still doing OK, are you still playing at home?

Offline porterma

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 11:59:26 PM »
Hi Jay,
Myself, I am using the Genos and I love this instrument! Previously I played a Tyros 4 for over 4 years. The upgrade was well worth it.
However, from what I see about the new SX900 and knowing that you want portability (including the built in speakers which the Genos does not have) I think this might be the best route for you to go. The only thing you are giving up is the extra keys (61 as opposed to 76) - how important is this to you really.
Anyway, that is my advice.
By the way I would love to have access to some of your "backing tracks" that you have recorded. Any chance you might be willing to email some to me. If so, please send me a Personal Message (PM) and i will give you my email address.
Thanks,

Mark

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 01:40:09 AM »
Audio styles are over rated.. they have the least dynamic drums..

But Genos still supports them..  just not has any of them preloaded..

Good observation, Bachus. Plus, Yamaha imposed too many use restrictions.

If Yamaha were faster with Audio Phraser and hadn't made such a buggy first release, more people might have made and shared some mad beats. Bernard Purdie funky beats would have created excitement. But, we got blah beats that didn't excite and folks just shrugged.

Oh, well -- pj

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 03:30:27 AM »
Jay, I still spend a couple hours a week at the keyboard at home, but I really miss being on stage and singing to the ladies. :)

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Bachus

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 12:08:00 PM »

Bachus, weren't you trying to find a second keyboard, a MODX or something similar? What is your feedback on using 2 keyboards vs one?

Yes, i own a MODX8...  and a Kronos 88 before that..
Its a complicated answer...

I used the hammer mechanic keyboard for playing piano, and piano lessons..
Somehow my progression over the last year came to a hold on the heavier keyboard..
I found out that because of my orrigin, i sound more dynamic when playing the same piano parts on the Genos..even when using the sounds of the Modx..

So i made a decision.. i will keep training my piano skills, like walking basses and, piano arrangements..
But not on the hammer action keyboard, but on a semi weight keyboard..
Having one type of keybed might give me better results then continously switching between two types..

Thats why my modx is for sale..Or for trade,

So if anyone wants a modx8 and has one of the following keys, just pm me if you live in Holland or near the dutch border..
-montage 6, modx7, roland jupiter 80, Korg kronos 61(2015), nord stage3 compact, ketron sd9 pro, or a roland inegra 7 or ketron sd90 module
I am sure we can come to a financial agreement..