Author Topic: Freeze or parameter lock to always have same voices  (Read 67393 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

Freeze or parameter lock to always have same voices
« on: September 23, 2019, 04:28:21 PM »
I started to ask this question last year, but never followed through.

I have many registrations.. when I get to a gig I never know precisely how the room acoustics are going to resonate with my registration settings.. So I immediately start making adjustments to tone, eq, individual volumes, reverb etc. before I perform.
But then I have to worry that those settings I just set, will be erased the moment I change a new registration ( obviously ).
It finally occurs to me- parameter lock and or freeze function, may well maintain any adjustments I make to the first registration I call up... once those adjustments are made, if I can freeze them or lock them... when I change registrations, the 4 voices, styles , etc,  will remain unchanged.

Am I looking at Freeze or Parameter lock ? And how would I accomplish this task? Remember I have to make eq, and volume adjustments prior to performing.. THEN I wish to make them permanent for that gig only; next gig  will make subtle changes again. Each gig require another adjustment.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 04:33:01 PM by sugarplumsss »
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Freeze or parameter lock to always have same voices
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 06:23:26 PM »
I started to ask this question last year, but never followed through.

I have many registrations.. when I get to a gig I never know precisely how the room acoustics are going to resonate with my registration settings.. So I immediately start making adjustments to tone, eq, individual volumes, reverb etc. before I perform.
But then I have to worry that those settings I just set, will be erased the moment I change a new registration ( obviously ).
It finally occurs to me- parameter lock and or freeze function, may well maintain any adjustments I make to the first registration I call up... once those adjustments are made, if I can freeze them or lock them... when I change registrations, the 4 voices, styles , etc,  will remain unchanged.

Am I looking at Freeze or Parameter lock ? And how would I accomplish this task? Remember I have to make eq, and volume adjustments prior to performing.. THEN I wish to make them permanent for that gig only; next gig  will make subtle changes again. Each gig require another adjustment.

John,

If you want your settings locked permanently, you use Parameter Lock. If you want them locked temporarily, you use Freeze.

It’s up to you how long "permanent" and "temporary" is.

Certainly if you want to unlock settings (ie, allow registrations to change them) during a gig, you want Freeze. But if all you’re doing is locking settings for an entire gig, and changing them next gig, I don’t think it will make any difference which one you use. The deciding factor will be which one supports locking the settings you want, as the groups are different in each.

An alternative is to set up your registrations so they don’t modify settings you want locked. For example, I don't memorize Master Eq in any of my registrations. That way, I know that any changes I make to Eq won’t be affected when I load a registration.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 09:42:39 PM »
I do not like admitting this... but HOW to use Parameter Lock and Freeze is still a mystery. I tried Freeze on the job. and got weird results. 
Is further guidance an option, or is there a section in the lessons?
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 10:16:49 PM »
I do not like admitting this... but HOW to use Parameter Lock and Freeze is still a mystery. I tried Freeze on the job. and got weird results. 
Is further guidance an option, or is there a section in the lessons?

No worries.

Parameter Lock is easiest. Go to Utilities,Parameter Lock and check the boxes (like Split Point, Fingering, Master Eq) that you never want registrations to mess around with. Exit out, and you’re done here. 

For Freeze, first decide what you want to freeze. Let’s say it’s Vocal Harmony  Check that box and exit out. Now when you want to stop a registration from changing VH settings, turn on Freeze (press the Freeze button) BEFORE you load the registration. As long as Freeze is on (button lit), registrations will not modify the frozen settings.

Cheers, Fred 
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 10:24:42 PM »
But I see no option for Voice 1, 2, 3,  left hand  for Parameter Lock!
Maybe I have to use Freeze?   I want the voices 1, 2, 3 and left hand to be frozen, regardless of registration.

Additionally, I thought about Master EQ, If there is a lock for MASTER EQ, that presupposes ( in my mind anyway ) that I can set Master EQ as a registration. I thought I could not do this.   I am looking at Reg Mem Content and see no Master EQ option!!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 10:37:55 PM by sugarplumsss »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 11:24:00 PM »
You’re learning, John. At least you now know what each of them can do.

I can’t believe you want the voices frozen, when by your own admission, you’ve never used Freeze before, but that’s up to you.

Cheers?
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 11:37:24 PM »
i use t4 differently   entirely so.

each gig has different acoustics   
i change voices 1 2 3 and bass and style volume and eq   on whatever registration i happen to open up
in order to have a better sound in that environment. But when I take a chance and switch registrations ( the way t4 was DESIGNED to be used for the majority of users )  All previous tweaks are gone.

To avoid this I make changes to STYLE choice not registration.  but then I lose the advantage of registration

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 08:13:28 AM »
If you really want to freeze voices you can save them as usual in your first registration to initially set them up, then when you make subsequent registrations, save those with voice unticked. That way the RH voices are kept as they were when the regs are activated.
If you are saving with style ticked, as it appears you are then provided you leave the left voice as is on all registrations that will ensure in effect the left voice also stays frozen every time you activate.
Although there are times it might be useful you cannot save Master EQ to registrations. (So the ability to Parameter lock it has always seemed somewhat redundant to me   :))

John
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 08:15:02 AM by jwyvern »

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 11:22:07 AM »
John, my name is John too.

You came up with a solution, that has evaded me. To be frank ( I'm John  :) ) I am going to have to go over
your solutions numerous times until it sinks in.

To focus on a very related issue: some Reg can give one a rude ( too loud in particular ) surprise when I  use them, after first using the "tuned up on the fly registration". If I could start "tuning up" *** AT HOME that would be a boon.
Using your solution works for R1 R2 R 3, but Style and Songs are another matter.

I have never been 100% clear about Songs integrated into a live performance, but I am gradually seeing a A MIDI Song's utility. There are 2 avenues for saving Songs... 1. go to song mode and choose songs there, OR 2. Save a Song into a Registration. I think #2 is the better way, for maximized fun factor. There is potential creative fun taking out some channels of a Song, and you, the user playing the parts!

The problem is using headphones at home; it is difficult to accurately measure volume of a bass, a bass drum, eg of one reg with another, not to mention the 16 parts in MIDI songs.
The best place it seems is to do it is ON THE GIG, (but that breaks the rule I grew up with.. not having too much down time between songs.)

Is there a meter that would be practical for mixing? There are decibel meters, but not sure, 1. their accuracy, 2. how or IF that could be applied to headphone mixes! Seems like I would have to make Reg adjustments in the open air at home. I don't have the luxury of disturbing others though with hours of T4 tuning at home.
The headphones would be a great solution IF they can be used effectively to truly sense how a reg ( which includes Style and MIDI Song ) would sound on a gig.

It seems the T4 demands a great deal of daily attention for optimal results.

*** the volumes,  Eq- Reverb- octave of R 3 in particular -  of the 3 parts, style, AND the parts within a MIDI Song
John has solved half the problem.. the other half is Song and Style "surprises" aka a too loud drum, or MIDI part.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 11:46:56 AM by sugarplumsss »

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 12:23:21 PM »
Re the surprises,
If I had some of those with my own regs it would be because I had not been suspicious enough to go through every reg after making it to check whether it sounds OK.
(I am quite fussy about the realism of sounds and how they mix together so might keep making smallish changes every time I use them at first, sometimes over a few weeks but there is no time pressure since I do not play to audiences).
In your case it might be beneficial as a first step to listen to all your registrations at home and make whatever corrections are necessary to eliminate the surprises. If they are as obvious as you say (as opposed to being subtle) they should be relatively easy to put right including song volumes if I have understood you correctly.
John

Tyros 4 Oldie

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 08:21:05 AM »
I didn’t know you could do this!  I have set up via 'freeze' solely so I can change styles.  Has solved something I have wondered about for years!😀

I don’t suppose there is an instant volume balance freeze setting somewhere as I often find the style is overpowering the right hand sounds.  Although I can set it initially as soon as I change sounds the imbalance is back again.

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2019, 03:16:53 PM »
We likely can talk about our half understood ideas about t4.. and maybe learn something the veterans on psr are trying to help us with.
I do music for my sole living,,, it hasn't been a rose garden ... late for my new church gig;but should be interesting chatting with you about freeze  registration parameter lock; while the pros observe!

I think the way we ask our urgent questions, reveals the incorrect assumptions or hunches we make. Looking at my question below, my incorrect ideas show themselves.

"But then I have to worry that those settings I just set, will be erased the moment I change a new registration ( obviously ).
It finally occurs to me- parameter lock and or freeze function, may well maintain any adjustments I make to the first registration I call up... once those adjustments are made, if I can freeze them or lock them... when I change registrations, the 4 voices, styles , etc,  will remain unchanged"

Fred and jwyvern  showed me my assumptions about freeze and lock would NOT work as I imagined. Neither one deals directly with voices or style.!!

BUT it takes time and patience to finally find ways to use t4 our way.
in my case i freely admit that i am not using t4 as it was designed... that is why I am frequently fighting the design .
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 03:28:50 PM by sugarplumsss »