Author Topic: Connect MIDI equipment via the USB TO DEVICE terminal (new for Montage)  (Read 40581 times)

Offline voodoo

Here are the new features of the firmware update for Montage.

Fixes and Enhancemenets

< V2.50 to V3.00 >

New features;

New effect types have been added.
New Performances have been added.
The Pattern Sequencer function has been added.
The Rhythm Pattern function has been added.
You can now play songs, patterns and audio files from the Live Set display.
Super Knob Link has been added to the data that is recorded in the Scene function.
Keyboard Control has been added to the data that is recorded in the Scene function.
Increased the range of the LFO Speed parameter.
You can now connect MIDI equipment via the USB TO DEVICE terminal.
The Global Micro Tuning settings have been added.
The Audition Loop setting has been added.
Improvements have been made to the user interface.
The Note capacity (total area in Store) has been increased from 130,000 to 520,000 (for Songs) and 520,000 (for Patterns).

So up from now, you can plug in midi devices to the USB port. This is new and totally cool. It allows for many midi controllers that are around.

Usable devices include:

* Yamaha P-125 digital piano (has USB, but no midi ports)
* Line 6 FBV Express MKII Pedal board with 4 switches and 1 expresson pedal (with USB, but without midi ports)
* Korg nanoKONTROL midi controller with 8 sliders (USB only)

I am hoping, that this feature will find its way to MODX and Genos in the next update. That would open up possibilities.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

SeaGtGruff

Re: Connect MIDI equipment via the USB TO DEVICE terminal (new for Montage)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 01:23:56 PM »
That is very cool, very much needed given that many MIDI devices these days do not have standard MIDI DIN connectors, and in some ways long overdue. The interesting thing to me is that this can be done with a firmware update. :)

Bachus

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 02:00:33 PM »
You realise there is allready another post about this upgrade?

By the way, it only supports devices that are true to the most basic standard protocol

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 04:48:44 PM »
Hi Uli --

Thanks for posting the list of features in the updates.

If I read Yamaha's messaging correctly, most if not all new features will be included in the MODX update. That would be terrific!

I don't know if Yamaha are using the native Linux MIDI stack, but surely there was never an OS level reason to NOT support MIDI host for class compliant devices.

This is great news (for me) because I picked up one of those Crumar drawbar kits and wanted to connect it directly to MODX without 5-pin.

All the best -- pj

Offline voodoo

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 11:48:58 AM »
BTW:

The Korg Pa4X got the compatibility for class compliant midi devices with OS 2.0 in 2017. So it would be good for Yamaha to catch up.

Is there an overview, which keyboards do have class compliant usb hosts?

Uli

P.S.: It seems that Korg support for USB midi controllers includes PA-Series (also 700 and 1000) and Kronos and even the entry level arranger EK-50. So my list would be

* Korg Pa700, Pa1000
* Korg Pa4X with OS 2.0 (2017)
* Korg EK-50
* Korg Kronos
* Yamaha Montage with OS 3.0 (2019)
* Yamaha MODX with OS 2.0 (2019)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 01:30:57 PM by voodoo »
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline voodoo

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 01:34:18 PM »
If I read Yamaha's messaging correctly, most if not all new features will be included in the MODX update. That would be terrific!

pj,

it seems you are right: https://www.yamahasynth.com/montage-category/introducing-montage-white-and-os-v3-0

USB MIDI Host
With MONTAGE OS v3.0 and MODX OS v2.0 you can now connect a MIDI controller directly to the USB TO DEVICE Port on the back. This allows you to connect MIDI keyboard controllers, drum pads other alternative controllers with a simple USB MIDI cable.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline markstyles

Montage seizes control in Logic Pro to become the audio interface
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 02:08:25 PM »
I just recently bought a Montage 7. Still have a lot to learn. My first issue to overcome is when I turn on Montage, it decides to change my audio set-up and become the in/out device.   Normally I use an RME Fireface 800.  It has 8 analog inputs, something like 16 digital inputs. So I can monitor a few kids at once. 

I cannot find a switch in eight Logic Pro, OSX, or Montage for this not to happen.  Just had it for a week now, so I am probably overlooking something. But I do not want to use Montage as my audio in/out device. only use it's usb/midi/audio inputs.

Anyone with insight into this, I'd appreciate your advice. Next of course will be a call too Yamaha.

Offline markstyles

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 03:22:00 AM »
I finally figured it out..  I was using the 'USB to Device' jack. That is to allow Montage to become your Audio Set-up..  Although it's buffers can't keep up a lot of DAW tracks, compared to RME device.   

The correct jack on Montage to use it USB to HOST.