Author Topic: Montage and MODX updates  (Read 49203 times)

Offline pjd

Montage and MODX updates
« on: September 22, 2019, 11:40:40 PM »
Yamaha have been celebrating 45 years of synth development through a Live Stream event.

They announced updates to both the Montage and the MODX, both updates include new features. The Montage update will be available within a few days with the MODX update following about one month later.

I hope the Yamaha arranger folks have adopted a similar strategy/approach to arranger workstations -- taking a "platform" approach with periodic updates. It's clear that updates are popular here. We'll have to see if Some new features appear on both Genos and SX.

All the best -- pj

Offline hans1966

Re: Montage and MODX updates
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 04:40:32 AM »
Hi Pjd, here is a Yamaha Synth link to shows the features of the new MONTAGE and MODX operating system. Regards. Hans

https://www.yamahasynth.com/montage-category/introducing-montage-white-and-os-v3-0
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 04:43:08 AM by hans1966 »
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Online Joe H

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 04:57:17 AM »
... I hope the Yamaha arranger folks have adopted a similar strategy/approach to arranger workstations -- taking a "platform" approach with periodic updates. It's clear that updates are popular here. We'll have to see if Some new features appear on both Genos and SX.

All the best -- pj

I hope so too. Yamaha have the ability with the OS for the Genos and sx900 to add support for arranger/Cubase Integration by adding new screens with controls for remote control for Cubase functions.

Add new keyboard features too. 

When I asked if the S970 could be upgraded to save Live Control settings in registrations and others asked for half-bar Fill-Ins and Breaks and Mono Portamento, we were told it couldn't be done. But they soon released the S975 which had those new features.  So I think the Genos and sx900 now have an OS that allows Yamaha programmers to add new features like their synths.  Just think... they increased the size of the on-board sequencer significantly in a recent OS update.  It appears that they now have the ability to not only do bug fixes, but correct short-comings like they did with the MIDI sequencer.

I hope that I am right about this.  ???

Joe H
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 05:00:34 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Bachus

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 07:29:50 AM »
Its an incredible update
Which puts montage on par again with the new fantom

This makes me wonder why the US based synthesizer part of Yamaha is doing such a great job at this
While the German based Arranger team isn’t doing much at all.

I think i will take the for sale sign away from my modx 8, and see what this new upgrade has to offer..

This also prooves that we will not see a new Montage at the Namm 2020

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 05:13:23 PM »
Thanks for the link, Hans. I'm still posting from a mobile device...

Hi Bachus. I do know that Yamaha USA has a few new marketing managers and we are seeing the fruit of their labors. The Idea Scale portal was an important step.

My outsiders view -- Even USA marketing has had trouble getting development in Japan to recognize user wants. The Idea Scale site makes it possible to argue for features based upon user wants and votes.

Arranger marketing and development need something similar. If Yamaha indeed see the Genos and SX as "platforms," that's a big shift already.

All the best -- pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 05:18:03 PM »
Local network problems, here....

The Genos hardware is waaaaay over-built for the current feature set. You've mentioned that the Genos has a rumored life of five years. That's plausible. Let's hope that future feature updates are chosen and implemented wisely.

A personal note -- We finally have moved to a house and I'm awaiting our stuff. Sandsoftwaresound.net should be back in action soon.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 05:19:39 PM by pjd »

Bachus

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 06:46:38 PM »
Thanks for the link, Hans. I'm still posting from a mobile device...

Hi Bachus. I do know that Yamaha USA has a few new marketing managers and we are seeing the fruit of their labors. The Idea Scale portal was an important step.

My outsiders view -- Even USA marketing has had trouble getting development in Japan to recognize user wants. The Idea Scale site makes it possible to argue for features based upon user wants and votes.

Arranger marketing and development need something similar. If Yamaha indeed see the Genos and SX as "platforms," that's a big shift already.

All the best -- pj

The problem indeed starts with communication..yamah arranger keyboards still fails in communicating directly with customers... let even create a portal for sharing ideas

I think the US depatment with blake andrews, mister-mister (glen) and Don Sigilas does an incredible job... not just with listening to customers, and then upgrading their instruments accordingly..

But also with discussing problems and helping people with questions..

Makes you wonder why Yamaha Japan doesn’t order the European department to do the same, with all the praise these US guys are having on the internet..

Sometimes i think that the arranger people have no clue...
How to bring the arranger keyboards into the 21st century..

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 09:16:00 PM »
Hi Bachus --

I agree with you about communication.

If I understand correctly, arranger marketing and some development are handled in Europe. I'm sure that the European folks are every bit as hip to the ways of high tech electronics and software as the USA cousins. I suspect that the heart of the issue is in Japan. Satellite off-shore offices cannot do much about the corporate culture of the parent company.

Judging from Yamaha's annual report, the current CEO would like to open up the culture more. But, CEOs are not all-powerful when it comes to corporate culture.

Well, I remain optimistic for now.

-- pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 05:34:37 PM »
The new Mini Filter and Mini Booster effects look interesting. The Mini Filter is a Mini Moog-style filter.

The synth and arranger product lines share DSP effects. The T5 guitar amp effects eventually made it to Motif XF, for example. I hope they port the Mini Filter and Mini Booster to Genos!

-- pj

Offline metcam

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 04:49:56 PM »
Hi Pjd, here is a Yamaha Synth link to shows the features of the new MONTAGE and MODX operating system. Regards. Hans

https://www.yamahasynth.com/montage-category/introducing-montage-white-and-os-v3-0

On video at 7:10  he said "This is going to make you happy, YAMAHA LISTEN.

Those kind of video will be nice to se from "Aranger marketing team"

Thanks Pjd for video

regards
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland