Author Topic: Crash cymbal note  (Read 38005 times)

Offline Luluc

Crash cymbal note
« on: September 21, 2019, 07:20:54 PM »
Hi all Genosphils,

Just to be curious :
In the MIDI part of the styles, we have , as the very last note of the file, a crash cymbal note Db4 (note# 49).
1 - How this note is used ? Is it for a postfill purpose ?
2 - The note is left shift so it appears at bar#56 in the score display, but the time is 55.04.476. Why don't we have it at time 56.01.000 ? Values are from the preset style LoungeBossa style.
Luluc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yamaha Genos - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 - Behringer FCB1010 - AKG K92

Offline pjd

Re: Crash cymbal note
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 09:29:26 PM »
Hi --

I recommend opening the style file  in a DAW and see what style section (e.g. MAIN, Fill In AA, etc.) actually contains the note. Assuming that the note is potentially audible (non-zero velocity and so forth), it should send during that section.

Stlyle timing seems spot on including section begin and end points as set my the MIDI markers in the style file.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 09:53:02 PM »
The note is in the 'Fill In BA' section, which is the 'Break'. It simply plays a crash cymbal at the end of the break!

Yamaha Breaks and Fills can only be one bar in length, and this note is actually timed very near the end of the bar at beat 4, tick 1900 (of 1920).     It has a length of 8 ticks so is completed by the end of the measure as required.

If the OP doesn't like the note, he can simply delete it and save the edit as a user style.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 09:55:05 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline panos

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 05:12:51 AM »
Ho luluc,
You can see that this note is at the end of the break or fill in as Alan said, but you can hear this note at the start of the next Main.
The same "trick" is used in all styles when a note belongs to a "fill in" but the user must hear it at the next Main.
The difference in time it is so small that our brain cannot understand that the timing is actually wrong.

Offline Luluc

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 08:55:24 AM »
It is not the same for the fill-in's FA, FB, FC and FD because here we have no crash cymbal at the end of the bar, but the cymbal is set on the first beat of the fill-in bar.
When the style is played, the crash cymbal is heared as expected as a post-fill crash cymbal.
Luluc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline panos

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 11:31:09 AM »
Yes you are right Luluc,I am not talking about all cymbals.
Just for those sounds(cymbals,bells,other drum sounds etc) which are written close to 001:4:1900 time.
They will be heard at the next bar(the next Main) whatever that is.

Offline Luluc

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 07:51:43 PM »
That is what I thought.

Hope somebody knows how the postfill crash cymbal work for the Fill-in A B C & D.
Luluc

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 09:44:28 PM »
In the Genos preset style 'LoungeBossa' that you referred to, the crash cymbal is at the same time (beat 4:tick 1900) in all four Fills, which is also the same time that it is in the Break!  This is just before the end of the single measure allowed for these sections.

Are we talking about the same style?  What software are you using to look at the style?

Regards

Ian

Offline Luluc

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 09:52:13 AM »
You're right. It was due to the fact the crash cymbal which is very late in the bar is displayed on the score view in bar+1. Thanks for your help.
Luluc