Author Topic: Genos/DAW studio recording workflow  (Read 26809 times)

melokeyz

Genos/DAW studio recording workflow
« on: September 20, 2019, 04:12:12 PM »
Dear Friends,

Before Genos, I used my midi keyboard and Cuebase to create my music. As you know, I used to record track by track manually.

After Genos, story has changed when it integrates well with Cubase. I can now record a style performance (all 16 channels) as a single huge track in Cubase and then dissolve them into separate tracks. Later, I can edit each track, add VSTi tracks, ...etc.

I dislike using the Genos midi sequencer so I stick with using an existing style or create my own since recording channels in style creator is a lot smoother than inside the sequencer.

My recording workflow:

1) I use an existing style or create my own style to represent my idea.

2) Once I am satisfied with the style after testing it with several different instruments, I start to add basic mixing to each channel using Genos mixer.

3) When all good, I begin to record the entire style performance in Cubase as a single gigantic track that includes all the Genos channels.

4) I use the dissolve/split function in Cubase to split each channel in its own track.

5) I edit, add, remove, ...etc. when necessary.

6) I add advanced mixing inside Cubase for final result.

7) I master the final result.

8) Convert the project to audio (wav) file.

The goal is to fully utilize Genos in your studio recording.With that amazing integration with Cubase, you no longer have to record each track individually as you used to do in the past.

I would like to know if someone else is using similar approach or have different workflows.

Please share your preferred recording workflow in Genos and DAW.

Regards,
A.M.

Offline J. Larry

Re: Genos/DAW studio recording workflow
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 04:24:06 PM »
Two questions:  at step #3, how do you get the Genos signal into the computer?  Any particular type of interface, USB, or what?  Secondly, that “single gigantic track” in Cubase, is that a stereo track, or does that matter?

melokeyz

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 05:36:16 PM »
 It's a simple USB connection. The gigantic track is a MIDI track not audio because it's a MIDI recording.

For a detailed setup, check this video

https://youtu.be/laDCbH7jH7c
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 05:37:59 PM by melokeyz »

The following users thanked this post: Joe H

Offline jugge

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 06:54:53 PM »
Hi,

I have tried the same method that you mention and while it works most of the time, I experienced some issues with this approach. At times, it seams like not all midi control changes get recorded and I also had some midi playback issues.

I now do the basic midi recording of the style and other instrument with the Genos midi sequencer.
I then import the midi file to Cubase for further editing and Mixing.
Finally I export and open the edited midi file back in Genos and use the internal audio recorder.

Both methods have their pros and cons and I am still evaluate witch method will fit my workflow best.

I have a Yamaha AG06 audio interface and plan to use that for my for audio recording instead of Genos, but I haven't tried it yet.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 07:19:42 AM by jugge »
Welcome to Yamaha Beats. Genos and MODX covers on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9yKCzqlOhkulwHFF6P-_Vw

Alfred59

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 08:02:00 AM »
Melokeyz
I have been following your videos and for the first time understand how to record genos onto cubase.
I say a big thank you for your help.
Alfred

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 09:10:48 AM »
Hi
When you say you record  a style track to Cubase in one gigantic track and use disolve, that sounds ok.
But when i have recorded a song in the Genos sequencer and import into Cubase all the style tracks are separated already. Just name them
I normally practice a song until it is in my head and record the whole song in Genos sequencer and import the song to Cubase.
Using VST would be a different story as you would have to record the style first and import that ,then start work.
I have used registrations that means the lead instruments are all on track 1, so i use the scissors to separate the sections and make other midi tacks for them.
if i have two styles of drums, i do the same. Split the drum tracks and move one underneath.
I have got so used to playing a style and lead together and playing with one hand and building track i find odd. I am in harmony with two hands going.
Once I have done all edits i then record each track to wave in Cubase and then work on mixing after gain staging.
Now i mix and do eq, compression and effects if needed and the bounce to wave file.
Stick that back in Cubase and polish.  Do some limiting to bring the song up to where a cd would sound by using the Control room to compare with a song that i want the same sound quality.
I have found also that sound proof panels and Sonaworks have helped me immensly to get a good finnish.Plus my Focal Alpha 50s which are class to me.
I am no means an expert yet ,but having a good go at it.
Having NOT CONNECTED above Genos Workstation in Cubase inspector cuts all the glitches out most people have as it stops a loop situation.

Well, That is my pennies worth.

Any better tips welcome :) as we never stop learning :P

all the Best
john :) :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 09:15:23 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

melokeyz

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 10:24:57 PM »
I now do the basic midi recording of the style and other instrument with the Genos midi sequencer.

Actually, I am in love with creating styles more than a full midi song in Genos sequencer. Why? Because it has two benefits for me: 1- I can use it as it is in my stage performance. 2- I use it to record my idea in Cubase by taking the advantage of that sweet integration. Until now, I am not facing any technical issues with the integration method. You can double check your I/O in Cubase to make sure the connection is okay.

In Genos sequencer (midi multi track recording), you're actually recording a full midi song from A to Z. Why should I bother using Genos multi track recording if I have the king of multi track recording (or Cubase)?

Instead, I create a style much more quicker than a full midi song, record it in Cubase, dissolve into separate tracks, edit the rhythm 1/2 parts to remove the robotic nature of the style, add VST instruments tracks if required, ... etc up until mastering. Voila !!! You got yourself a song.

This whole method takes 3 hours. If I use the Genos sequencer method, will take 5 hours. Maybe because I became fast in creating styles ( been creating styles for 1 year now) and I am pretty slow inside the sequencer.

Bottom line, this integration saves a huge amount of time compared to the traditional track by track recording.

melokeyz

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 10:38:37 PM »
Hi
When you say you record  a style track to Cubase in one gigantic track and use disolve, that sounds ok.
But when i have recorded a song in the Genos sequencer and import into Cubase all the style tracks are separated already. Just name them

John, I am faster in creating styles more than a full song inside the sequencer and If i am going to use a sequencer, it will be a DAW sequencer because of its flexibility and editability. I am pretty slow inside the Genos sequencer because I am not very comfortable with it. It really eats my time. I know it may sound weird but I enjoy creating styles so I am fast in it. I can create a style in 30 mins, max. 1 hour. So I use that style to record a full MIDI song out of it in Cubase. Really love that integration  :)

melokeyz

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 10:39:50 PM »
Melokeyz
I have been following your videos and for the first time understand how to record genos onto cubase.
I say a big thank you for your help.
Alfred

Glad to hear that, Alfred :) :)