Author Topic: New firmware for Genos, including chord looper, in October 2019?  (Read 265858 times)

Offline EB5AGV

New firmware for Genos, including chord looper, in October 2019?
« on: September 20, 2019, 04:04:26 PM »
According to a reliable source (they should now, as they sell lots of Yamaha gear), there will be a new update to Genos in October, which will include chord looper :)

That for me would be a v2.0 update, bringing new SX900 features (and more) to the Genos.

Will it really happen?. And in October?. Let's see  ;) !!!

Jose
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Plus lots other music toys :-)

Bachus

Re: New firmware for Genos, including chord looper, in October 2019?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 05:21:33 PM »
Maybe, maybe not..

I think we will first see a 1.5 version..

The following users thanked this post: John T4

Offline BartW

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 12:02:07 PM »
Excellent news. The chord looper will be a much appreciated and needed feature! I’m keeping my fingers crossed!

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 01:11:18 PM »
What exactly does a chord looper do? I know it seems obvious but can someone give an example? Don't the styles already do chord looping until we change the chord in the left hand? I'm confused as to the difference.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ton37

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 01:36:53 PM »
Hi Lee, pls. look here? The vid. shows you how e.g. a Chord Looper can be used ..

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,51330.0.html

Maybe this is helpful for you?
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 02:07:07 PM »
Thanks, Ton37. I get it now. Guitar players have this in some of their effects boxes. They play a four-bar riff (for example), which is recorded and the effect box loops the four bars while the guitarist plays along with his or her own riff. Slick! Thanks again...

- Lee
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ton37

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 02:17:57 PM »
Exactly Lee, when one want to play a fast solo with a lot of joystick actions and quick chord changes, then it is a welcome feature. Kind of third hand ..

Explanation in text: As soon as you press the 'Record Chord L.' button, he will record the chord progression that you will then play. Until you press the 'Chord L. stop' button. You have then recorded a piece of music (only the chords). Now you can use the other button 'Chord L. on / off' to play (ON) or stop (loop) that loop. As long as the Chord Looper plays the Loop you have the entire keyboard at your disposal for a solo part. As soon as you set Chord Looper to 'OFF' you will be back to normal status ...
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

Offline terryB

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 03:31:58 PM »
hi What length of sequence can be recorded? I've got a Roland synth guitar pedal and, if I remember correctly, it can record a sequence up to 1min 20 secs.

Cheers
Terry

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 05:51:44 PM »
Hi
What about fills ??

Would you have to do that via footpedal or manual?

It would be usefull if you need an extra pair of hands for different buttons or bend joystick.
I suppose a quick route to a recording, giving you ample time for practicing.
The thing is , would it make you more lazy?? ;D
That's Technology!!! ::)

All the Best
John :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 05:54:19 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline ton37

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 07:07:19 PM »
Hi
What about fills ??

Would you have to do that via footpedal or manual?

It would be usefull if you need an extra pair of hands for different buttons or bend joystick.
I suppose a quick route to a recording, giving you ample time for practicing.
The thing is , would it make you more lazy?? ;D
That's Technology!!! ::)

All the Best
Hi John, In my humble opinion, technology must perform actions that are annoying, unnecessary or too complicated, etc. It must help 'people' to develop. With deployment, the creative boundaries should also be pushed or explored. And a technologically well-designed keyboard can help the musician with that. Not as a goal, but as a means to creative development.  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 08:13:51 PM »
Hi Ton

Is this just a rumour of another update  or fact?
What about the Genos with a missing L button and how could a chord looper be implemented.
It would have to be a seperate little program in the seqencer section probably and a button that is already somewhere on the keyboard. Maybe a registration 10 button. Who knows!!

All the Best
John :) :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 08:21:40 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

The following users thanked this post: ton37

Offline ton37

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 08:27:20 PM »
Hi John, no speculation on my part. ;) Maybe I translated it incorrectly, but I only philosophized on your post what I emphasized in the quote ... nothing more and nothing less  ;).
My best regards,
Ton

Offline pjd

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 09:39:14 PM »
Hi John --

To me, "fact" is an official Yamaha announcement, like the last pre-announcement or the actual drop of the update file.

There are rumors of an October update. The last update appeared to be somewhat delayed -- the reason for the pre-announcement. Maybe Yamaha intended to add more (like chord looper) and missed their release date? Maybe they deciced to hold the chord looper in order to make a bigger splash with the SX900?

Marketing and release timing are always subject to change. I'll bet that the timing was murky even to Yamaha's internal teams until a final decision was taken. Release scheduling is not a science.

All the best -- pj

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2019, 02:34:42 AM »
Is this just a rumour of another update  or fact?
What about the Genos with a missing L button and how could a chord looper be implemented.
It would have to be a seperate little program in the seqencer section probably and a button that is already somewhere on the keyboard. Maybe a registration 10 button. Who knows!!

They could easily implement it by using two of the assignable buttons.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2019, 05:24:11 PM »
Hi Wecome to soapbox Corner, :P ;D

Just been on Yamaha Keyboard Club and E'piano's where i purchased my Genos  here in the UK has a video talk on the  new keyboard.
I had a good listen to what the guy was sayng on the video as he went though the comparisons between this keyboard and the Genos.
He said that there will be a firmware update this October and hopes to see the Chord looper implemented and some other things.
So it looks like another update coming. This is coming from a well known dealer here in the UK. This seems to be solid evidence.

All the best
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 05:26:00 PM by ugawoga »

Bachus

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2019, 06:36:03 PM »
Hi John --

To me, "fact" is an official Yamaha announcement, like the last pre-announcement or the actual drop of the update file.

There are rumors of an October update. The last update appeared to be somewhat delayed -- the reason for the pre-announcement. Maybe Yamaha intended to add more (like chord looper) and missed their release date? Maybe they deciced to hold the chord looper in order to make a bigger splash with the SX900?

Marketing and release timing are always subject to change. I'll bet that the timing was murky even to Yamaha's internal teams until a final decision was taken. Release scheduling is not a science.

All the best -- pj

If so, i guess it was a sx-900 splash thing..
Because it was one of its highlights

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2019, 02:01:40 PM »
I do not know if this information is credible or not.
Because it's been 2 years since the first time Genos appeared.
However, I'm happy that people still hope that Yamaha will continue to exploit Genos hardware through software updates.
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2019, 02:58:59 PM »
I do not know if this information is credible or not.
Because it's been 2 years since the first time Genos appeared.
However, I'm happy that people still hope that Yamaha will continue to exploit Genos hardware through software updates.

The hope is well founded. Every update has brought new features.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Bachus

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2019, 07:17:51 PM »
The hope is well founded. Every update has brought new features.

Cheers,
Fred

True, but so far the new features where kind of minimalistic compared to what Yamaha is doing for montage,modx an the cp88

But then there is allways hope the next update will be really big.

Untill then, i just enjoy my Genos as is...

Online reya

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2019, 09:43:40 AM »
I wonder if Yamaha is going to officially announce the new software version (if there is one coming of course) with a video - same as they did with version 1.4 ....

For the moment it is still the 1.4 video on their website. And if I remember correctly that video was posted almost 3 months before the software version was actually released.

Best Regards
Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2019, 07:58:27 PM »
Hi

I heard from a music shop in UK that in October a new update is coming.
All very tight lipped at the moment.

All the best
john :)

Online reya

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2019, 11:24:13 AM »
I wonder if Yamaha is going to officially announce the new software version (if there is one coming of course) with a video - same as they did with version 1.4 ....

Well, it seems they replied today :D. The video announcement is out.

The update is for Winter 2019, not october, about the same delay as with the announcement of 1.4

Gives a total new feeling to the sentence  'Winter is Coming'  ;D

Best regards
Rudy

Bachus

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2019, 11:33:12 AM »
https://youtu.be/KfrdEbbz1aM

Its official, Yamaha is doing it for the Genos..
Anhuge feature and content update

Kudos Yamaha

Offline acparker

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2019, 11:45:39 AM »
The memory expansion, frankly, has me worried.

1+ Gb memory addition sounds like a physical change to the keyboard to me, not a software update.

Unless of course, they optimized their code and found an 'extra' 1 Gb of space ...
or
The keyboard had that memory on board, but was unable to access it through the software...

I hope it is a software update because I really would like the style reset and chord looper updates.

Adam

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2019, 12:06:31 PM »
I'm curious about the 50 new styles and hope they aren't a bunch of EDM, Hip-Hop, or similar styles that are totally useless to me. I'd be happy if others can use them though :)!

The styles on the Genos are great, however, a lot of them have been re-worked from the Tyros series. It's nice that Yamaha gave us great new voicing and sound processing but putting a fresh coat of paint on old furniture isn't the same as buying new furniture - if you get my analogy. I'm also aware it takes a lot of effort and money for Yamaha to create new styles but new ones would be welcome :)!

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2019, 01:20:16 PM »
All those extras start to look too good to be true. Where is the registered proof this came from Yamaha?

Also see another opinion

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,51887.msg405998.html#msg405998

Grumpy John
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 01:28:45 PM by jwyvern »

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2019, 01:42:50 PM »
Interesting how the V2.0 video is not on the Yamaha website, that I can find. The only one showing is V1.41. Why wouldn't they update their site to show V2.0? Unless they only show versions that are current. V2.0 isn't out yet and may not be uploaded to their site for that reason.

Is it on another website or did I just miss it? John makes a good point.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 01:45:53 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Online reya

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2019, 02:23:10 PM »
The V1.4 introduction video was also spotted by people on this psrtutorioal website, before it appeared on the Yamaha website.

Behaps this will be the same. First on youtube, and a couple of days later on the official Yamaha website.

Best Regards
Rudy
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 02:30:55 PM by reya »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2019, 03:06:51 PM »
This update is not due out until Winter so you will not find it anywhere until then.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2019, 03:51:07 PM »
Quotes:
Astronomical Winter 2019 in Northern Hemisphere will begin on
Sunday, 22 December
and ends on Friday, 20 March 2020
All dates are in United Kingdom Time.

Meteorological Date starts Dec1 to February.

Take your pick  :)

John
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 03:58:42 PM by jwyvern »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2019, 04:27:46 PM »
This update is not due out until Winter so you will not find it anywhere until then.

With comments like that Eileen, I can understand why some folks think you work for Yamaha.  Where do you get your inside information from?

;D

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: valimaties

Offline EileenL

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2019, 04:55:47 PM »
I do not work for Yamaha but have always maintained a good relation ship with them and there Tec Guys.  ;) ;)

Offline valimaties

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2019, 05:07:23 PM »

1+ Gb memory addition sounds like a physical change to the keyboard to me, not a software update.

Adam

Hi Adam...
Look at Korg. They do it in this way, software update, TWO times ;) From 400 to 800 and from 800 to 3 GB ;) So I think memory exists, but they have to manage very well to give that much directly to user. So they give a little first, after that they make tests with more and more and more till they achieve the best performance from their "gadget" :D

Conclusion: A lot of things can be made ONLY with updates. (Especially with Genos)

Regards,
Vali
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 05:08:31 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

tyrosman

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2019, 06:36:34 PM »
let me say this for the last time Eileen does not work for Yamaha we both have a very good Relation ship with Yamaha :) and this update will come what I can say is well done Yamaha :) :)

Offline pjd

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2019, 09:51:30 PM »

Unless of course, they optimized their code and found an 'extra' 1 Gb of space ...
or
The keyboard had that memory on board, but was unable to access it through the software...

I hope it is a software update because I really would like the style reset and chord looper updates.

Adam

Hi Adam --

It's a software-only improvement.

Yamaha have probably taken a page from recent Korg updates. Currently, user samples in waveform memory are not compressed. Only Yamaha have the trade secret algorithms to compress and uncompress. Compressed samples are uncompressed on-the-fly in real time by the tone generator hardware.

Yamaha's proprietary compression algorithm reduces sample space by a factor of 2 to 2.5. A lot depends upon the characteristics of the waveform data itself.

Expansion packs developed by Yamaha typically contain compressed waveforms. So, the increase in effective expansion space may benefit mainly user samples. Unless Yamaha have discovered and implemented a super duper compression algorithm, which is very unlikely.

Hope this helps -- pj
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 09:52:53 PM by pjd »

Offline pjd

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2019, 09:59:09 PM »
Speaking of expansion memory space, I noticed that the video refers to a "Genos 2.0 Superior Pack" with 25 plus new voices.

I have to wonder -- will the Superior Pack be stored in the flash ROM containing the Genos factory samples, or will the samples in the Superior Pack be stored in regular expansion memory, i.e., the flash ROM on the second tone generator IC which is dedicated to user waveforms?

All the best -- pj

P.S. I'm very happy to see the Superior Pack in the announcement and look forward to the details.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 10:00:17 PM by pjd »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2019, 10:09:45 PM »
Hi Adam --

It's a software-only improvement...

... Unless Yamaha have discovered and implemented a super duper compression algorithm, which is very unlikely.

Hope this helps -- pj

Isn't more likely that the memory was there all along... just not allocated?  How did they go from a 400kb sequencer to a 3MB sequencer?

With your technical expertise, you yourself stated awhile back that the S970 had about 1GB of unused memory... then they came out with the S975 with approximately 50% more expansion memory plus preinstalled packs.

Maybe they were planning to use that extra memory in the Genos for Genos 2 but saw that many folks thought that the 1.6GB expansion was kind of skimpy for today's TOTL arranger.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2019, 10:10:20 PM »
Is the Superior Pack free, that is, part of the free update? I assume so.

Offline pjd

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2019, 10:24:30 PM »
Hi Joe --

Please recall that we're talking about two different physical memory units here and each memory unit talks to a different processing unit.

The sequencer memory is in the host computer (an ARM architecture processor running Linux). It shouldn't have been too hard to find 2.5 MEGA bytes to hold more sequencer data.

Expansion memory in Genos communicates with one of the two tone generator integrated circuits. I believe that one tone generator and its attached flash ROM are dedicated to expansion. This is a different architecture than the S970. I expect the Superior Pack to load into this expansion memory. So, if people want to keep their existing user samples AND use the Superior Pack, Yamaha had better provide compression of user waveform samples.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2019, 10:27:51 PM »
Is the Superior Pack free, that is, part of the free update? I assume so.

Hi Lee --

I believe that it's part of the update and is free. Here's hoping that we're not disappointed, of course, because we're all reading between very sketchy lines.  :)

-- pj

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

Offline Joe H

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2019, 05:13:01 AM »
... So, if people want to keep their existing user samples AND use the Superior Pack, Yamaha had better provide compression of user waveform samples.

Hope this helps -- pj

That's an interesting idea.  If that's the case then 3rd party developers will be able to increase the quality of the samples.  And the current 3rd party expansion packs will take up less memory. Is that what you are suggesting? Or are saying the current 3rd party packs will be incompatible with the v2.0 update? Because right now some 3rd party expansion packs are memory hogs.

Joe H

Bachus

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2019, 11:43:54 AM »
That's an interesting idea.  If that's the case then 3rd party developers will be able to increase the quality of the samples.  And the current 3rd party expansion packs will take up less memory. Is that what you are suggesting? Or are saying the current 3rd party packs will be incompatible with the v2.0 update? Because right now some 3rd party expansion packs are memory hogs.

Joe H

I will be adding that Steinway, its almost 1GB in size, finally the memmory is big enough for these exclusive sounds

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2019, 02:17:57 PM »
I will be adding that Steinway, its almost 1GB in size, finally the memmory is big enough for these exclusive sounds
Hello. Could you tell us more détails ? What package do you talk about ?

Bachus

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2019, 03:14:30 PM »
Hello. Could you tell us more détails ? What package do you talk about ?

http://www.cms-sounddesign.de/page13.html

piano 1 is a Steinway..
Piano 3 is a Bosendorfer

The following users thanked this post: soundphase

Offline pjd

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2019, 04:56:45 PM »

Joe H

Hi Joe --

Current expansion packs will remain compatible. The memory hogs will remain memory hogs without compression.

This is all so iffy without real, detailed info from Yamaha. As usual, we'll wait and see.

Take care -- pj

Offline EileenL

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2019, 05:20:08 PM »
Well I think we have all we need to know from Yamaha that the flash memory will be increased to 3Gb.
  It all depends on what packs you use as we all know that Yamaha ones are compressed and don't take up that much memory. Third party ones are not.

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2019, 10:56:09 PM »
I am glad I was right with the 2.0 version and chord looper  ;D

And the other announced improvements are just wonderful!

I don't mind waiting some more weeks  ;)

Jose
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Plus lots other music toys :-)

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2019, 12:51:49 AM »
Hats off to Yamaha and their commitment to improving the Genos. I'm starting to think the first release of Genos was just a teaser. Yamaha was likely thinking, "Wait until they see what's in store for the future Genos I!"

If this is true and all those nice additions are coming in update 2.0, imagine what Genos II will be like :)!! Did I just start another sub-thread??!!

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2019, 09:45:44 AM »
Hi Lee

If all this is true it will be The Genos 2   because of update.
I wonder if this was all a plan to see how the keyboard sells as this could push the price up and sell more
If these updates get all exited then Yamaha can push the price up and sell more keyboards as well.
I think the next Genos will be more like the pro synths that everyone talks about or we may as well plump for the cheaper version.
At £4,500 it should be a pro synth as well as an arranger.
I wonder what the EU will do to UK prices in the future or Mr Trump putting tarriffs on the EU as everything is centralized in Germany.
The Genos could be £10,000 or $12,000. At the moment the world and it's future looks bleak.
So let's have fun whilst fun is to be had!! ;D ;D :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

MUSN' T GRUMBLE!!   :P :-\ ;)

All the best
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 09:58:30 AM by ugawoga »

Bachus

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2019, 09:59:09 AM »
Hi Lee

If all this is true it will be The Genos 2   because of update.
I wonder if this was all a plan to see how the keyboard sells as this could push the price up and sell more
If these updates get all exited then Yamaha can push the price up and sell more keyboards as well.
I think the next Genos will be more like the pro synths that everyone talks about or we may as well plump for the cheaper version.
At £4,500 it should be a pro synth as well as an arranger.
I wonder what the EU will do to UK prices in the future or Mr Trump putting tarriffs on the EU as everything is centralized in Germany.
The Genos could be £10,000 or $12,000. At the moment the world and it's future looks bleak.
So let's have fun whilst fun is to be had!! ;D ;D :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

All the best

Actially there is so many other helpfull features they could add in a 2.5 or 3.0 update..
With this new philosophy, the lifespan of a Genos will be atleast 5 or 6 years before seeing an update
Which is a great thing this way for initial buyers