Author Topic: Genos song and multipad volumes  (Read 25755 times)

Offline ugawoga

Genos song and multipad volumes
« on: September 18, 2019, 10:13:24 PM »
Hi
I have quite a strong song going and reached the standard  levels that i use for most songs.
I have not made many multipads  but i am struggling to get the multpad volume up to a good level as the rest of the song.
My style is always around 100 vol , so you know where i work from.
I go into a mulitpad and choose an orchestra's sound and it is under volume even at 127.
Another thing is how do i get all the orchestra's in the home user section for multpads. You only get a cut down version.
Sorry about this as i play everything usually, but my next effort has many sections.
Even I have not gone into the big depths of the Genos yet.
Any help on this appreciated

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 10:16:33 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

Re: Genos song and multipad volumes
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 10:34:56 PM »
Hi John,
Go to Multi pad record section and select the pad you want to look at.
Press Step Record and then look for the volume value. It is sometimes set quite low. Alter it to what you want and then save the Pad Bank as a User.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 11:11:54 PM »
Hi Eileen

Big thanks for your reply Eileen.
I get what you mean, but the choices of instruments are pretty dire for pads and the volume level even at 127 is not the same loudness as 127 on instruments on Right 1,2 or 3.
I am using 127 as an example.
Not to worry as i read  about Mike bedeseems Padmaker midi from this site.
So , I have found out now that if i record the amount of bars in the Genos sequencer and put on usb stick and import that into Padmaker midi, i can have any instrument on the Genos that way and the volume is now matching that of the rest of the balance on tracks. There is life in them pads now
With the padmaker and Genos sequencer you can have all your cake and eat it
A computer comes in handy for these sort of things.
Somehow the volume level is under the rest of the tracks even at the same volume levels and you would have to bring down the style to about 50  and drastically alter all your volume settings to make the pads come to life.
What a game ,you never stop learning.!!! :P ::) I am doing Going Loco down In Acapulco. I think I have already gone!! ;D. Have been there and those Jet boats up the Papagia River is an adrenalin rush and you get a good soaking. :o :P. Can't beat cruisin' 8)
You could beat me there Eileen if you took up wing walking on a Crunchie Bi-Plane.

All the best
John
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 11:20:10 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline acparker

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 11:43:14 AM »
The other thing that I have noticed that can cause the multipads to be low in volume is the velocity or touch setting for each note.  I found, when recording a piano multipad, that I had to either play 'hard', or just turn off the touch velocity entirely.  I opted for the 'hard', as I did want some expression.

Adam

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 11:54:11 AM »
Yes touch can make a difference. I never have a problem with multi pad volume and my style is usually set to 100. After all you don't want a multi Pad to be to prominent in the mix and take away the melody spot as it forms part of the backing.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 12:52:09 PM »
Hi
Do not worry about the volume now as recording a few bars into the sequencer and sticking them in Pad maker midi gets rid of all the problem. Once in Padmake choose the length and thats it
Also any instrument in the Genos works as well , just by simply Genos sequencer to Padmaker and save.
Hail Mike Bedeseem for that great little program.

Anwering Eileen -- I do find on average that the pad volume is down and it maybe because of the choice of instruments that you can only accsess.  Since discovering the Padmaker you have a lot of headroom. Now I have to reduce the volume which is where i want things. My Style are about 100 as well. I wanted an Orchestra sound and it was too low or very reduced.

Answering Adam---- I did look at the actual sounds and upped the velocity and volume but it is not brilliant. Recording in the sequencer and transferring to Padmaker Midi, What a difference.
I suppose when you record what you want in the Genos sequencer then it is around the same volumes that you set your song in the first place.
The difference is amazing and the choice of the Instruments as it should be. I like to have  Max Headroom. ddddddd'!!! 8)

All the Best
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 01:07:47 PM by ugawoga »

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 01:04:28 PM »
All good ideas. John, you know the difference between volume and velocity. You can turn a Multipad up to 127 in volume but if the velocities are down around 35 to 40, you won't get the punch you need. Is that what you're using Michael's program for - adjusting the velocities? That makes a huge difference :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 01:36:25 PM »
Hi Lee

I loaded up the Padmaker midi yesterday and was blown away after a few goes.

What i did was to select an Orchestra sound in Padmaker and the volume of the Instrument was well below the rest of my song.
I did go to the voice section and set about tweaking the volume etc to bring it up to a reasonable level.
I did get the sound nearly where i wanted it but not quite and that was frustrating.
I could obviously reduce everything to compensate but that meant bringing the style down to 60 to 70.
My song has all levels set except the pad .
By recording the pad that I wanted in the Genos sequencer the sound levels were up to standard as the rest of the song level or even louder.

I just put the song into Padmaker Midi and chose the bar length marker and saved to Pad 1 and that was it.
Like you say velocity can make the sound louder or bring how hard or soft you want a particular note.

Just doing what I did made the huge difference in gaining headroom to work with. Also the bonus of having any sound now without restriction.
Hope all is going well Lee.

All the best

Offline Depo1964

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 07:20:53 PM »
Eileen's suggestion works so long as you have the Volume Event checked.
Not one who also doesn't delve into the depths of the Genos SW,
I spent several hours wondering why the volume was not increasing
until I noticed the Event for volume was not checked, hence it was not showing up.
What I was changing was the number value on the Prog line thinking it was for the Volume.
I guess certain events default to not active since I have never changed them before.
Thanks Eileen,  I finally got it to work.
ciao, Dan

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2022, 09:03:32 PM »
Your welcome Dan.