Author Topic: Backing Tracks -(again)- and Keyboard Instruments  (Read 10337 times)

trecker1247

Backing Tracks -(again)- and Keyboard Instruments
« on: September 13, 2019, 01:05:07 PM »
Hello - again.
I'm really struggling with this one.
I have been scouring the manuals and videos and have found nothing that fully explains what i want to achieve.
Since my last post under "Backing Tracks", I have managed to get all of the tracks onto my USB and have managed to select them and play along with them but they are still on the USB which is always in the top slot
Now the bit i am having trouble with.

I want to save all of the backing tracks with the different  keyboard sounds/instruments that i need for each track so that i can select the backing track either from the USB or the keyboard -(wherever it ends up) - and the instruments that i need to add to play along with the track are automatically brought up at the touch of a button at the same time.
Is this even possible and if so how do i go about this process?
I am going to be playing these tracks on stage with other musicians so it has to be a one stop press to keep the momentum going.
I hope that makes sense.
All help will again be very graciously received.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Backing Tracks -(again)- and Keyboard Instruments
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 01:15:04 PM »
The solution in one word: registrations.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

trecker1247

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 01:41:48 PM »
Thanks Fred - but to someone who isn't really very knowledgable about how the T5 works - that doesn't really help me.
I can't work out where to save the B/Tracks to in order to attach the registrations to them or how to attach them.
I have tried saving the backing track with the registration memory bank but when i turn the T5 off and then on again it doesn't retain the instruments i saved.
Obviously i am as thick as two short planks but i learn something new every day.

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 01:49:16 PM »
A registration bank saves 1 to 8 registrations, matching the buttons. Each time you change a registration (e.g. change the style), you need to save it to the registration bank with the button Memory and then the correct registration button. But that is just a save action into the non-persistent memory, i.e. it loses its state when you shut the T5 down. If you want to save the registration bank, you need to save that one to. That can be done by the Save action in Menu 2 when you're viewing the current folder of banks (button J from the Main screen).

I know this sounds very complex, but it isn't. Just do it a couple of times and you'll see. I prepare all songs with registrations and I''ve done it so many times, that updating a registration (/bank) after a change, takes me no more than a few seconds.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 01:50:41 PM by Robert van Weersch »
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

trecker1247

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 03:07:35 PM »
Thanks Robert.
So my Backing track mp3's i get to via the Audio Recorder/Player by pressing the MODE button and selecting FILE and USB and then the folder where the tracks are.
That bit i get.
So now i want to select and save the instruments that i want to use along with the backing tracks.
Do i just save the instruments in 1 - 8 or do i have to do something with the backing track as well.
Will the instruments be saved in a different file to the backing tracks?
Do you see my dilemma - i don't quite understand the saving logic of the T5 yet.
I have managed to save numerous settings for playing with both a band and just instruments from the T5 and also setting up the style selector and instruments.
However i just can't seem to grasp getting these two items to work together.
Is there an idiots guide to doing this.
I do understand what your saying about the registration memory buttons but i can't seem to get those and the Audio tracks to save together.
I am obviously missing the point here and at this juncture you are probably pulling your hair out.
I thank you for your patience.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 03:44:07 PM »
If you press the memory bank you need to make sure you have a tick in Audio songs. Now set up your registration sounds and select the song you want to be linked and press memory and the bank number you want it stored to.  Now when you press that registration button the song will be loaded and ready to play. Continue to set up all eight buttons how you want them and then save the whole bank. You can have up to eight songs linked in one bank.

trecker1247

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 04:16:10 PM »
Thank you for your help Robert and Eileen.
After much fiddling, i have managed to get it to work.
Basicly i have created a new bank for each mp3 so that i can have up to 8 instrument settings with each tune.
Does that make sense?

trecker1247

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 04:56:40 PM »
OK so maybe i was a bit hasty.
Now when i select a track to play - and press the first reg memory button - the track pays with the instruments i selected for that button.
However, when i select the second reg button with different instruments, the track starts playing again - not quite what i was expecting.
So i am doing something wrong.
Can someone advise please.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 06:23:13 PM »
OK so maybe i was a bit hasty.
Now when i select a track to play - and press the first reg memory button - the track pays with the instruments i selected for that button.
However, when i select the second reg button with different instruments, the track starts playing again - not quite what i was expecting.
So i am doing something wrong.
Can someone advise please.

But you're getting somewhere.

Now you need to tell your subsequent registrations (2-8) not to (re-)load the audio file.

-- Load the second registration.
-- Press Memory
-- Make sure that Audio File is unchecked
-- save the registration

Do the same with the rest of the regs (2-8).

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Afton72

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 04:45:24 AM »
Hello All,     I would STRONGLY recommend anyone learning about Registrations, to view Fred Smith,s   4 or 5 videos on Registrations.  They make it so clear, & they suit most models.           
  See the link at bottom of his posts.

Well done, Fred,
                                   Alan.

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 07:29:55 AM »
I agree. Learn registrations.
But I get that sometimes it is hard to grasp the concept. So in a few words: a registration is a full "snapshot" of the "state" of the total of all settings of the keyboard. Style, voices, split points, effects, volumes, pedals, you name it. Effectively, a registration can hold the state of everything (or less, you can control that). That makes it a very powerfull tool to create song settings. I have one bank per song and mostly several registrations within that bank for the various parts of that song.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 07:31:03 AM by Robert van Weersch »
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)