Author Topic: Why not use the styles to make a song your own?  (Read 7391 times)

Offline dinapoli

Why not use the styles to make a song your own?
« on: September 12, 2019, 01:02:58 AM »
Many times we try to copy a song and try to make it sound like the original, why not use the arranger to make a song your own.
I just recorded this Italian Classic. The first version i used the Orchestral voices second version I used a waltz, the third version I used some kind of modern beat. Recorded live using the Registrations of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBZh60Qx0YI

Offline EileenL

Re: Why not use the styles to make a song your own?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 01:22:28 PM »
Very interesting and something I like to do just to be different. I think this gives many songs a new lease of life.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 01:32:44 PM »
Absolutely!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 05:22:40 PM »
Think of  It as a Re-Mix 2019 8)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 03:58:04 PM »
It's nice to see people talking about music and playing an instrument.

Best Regards.
Abby.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 04:33:30 PM »
Hi Pianoman

I learn't late in life at about 33 years old and it is not the same as someone that started when they were 6 years old.
Now 68 and a magic year awaits!! ;D.
I practice every day and i do not know why, but it helps me gain the confidence that I need.
I want to write my own music as i will never play out at a venue, but i get side tracked when i pick up a new piece of music
I vowed after doing the next three covers  that i would get on with my own songs
I do not know why Dinapoli wants to get a total sound original as putting your own stamp on a song is great
I have just completed Can't let maggie go , an old Honeybus song and I got as close as i can and then a few ideas crept into my brain.
When you make an instrumental song from a song that is sung ,you need to make sure that your song is as interesting as you possibly can make it.
The thing is to keep things simple and give it your trademark.
I would never sing as i would like Ozzie Osbourne says's " I would frighten off all the birds"
 "Sausages to that"!! ;D

All the Best
john :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 04:35:10 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 06:07:28 PM »
A good example is LESS IS MORE. I often mute stile parts if they get too busy, and it's add a nice Multipad to replace style parts.
DGX670

Offline markstyles

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 06:40:37 PM »
I started playing music at 10. I have ok relative pitch. I can pick out a melody, but hearing chords, I get confused and have difficulty figuring the right ones.  So I always preferred to write my own songs.  Later I got better at figuring songs out.  I sometimes do covers, but still prefer to write my own, because they are always experiments in learning.  I try to apply new ideas, and techniques as I go along.

Playing music, and creating music, is very 'soul satisfying'.  I realize I have always used it for excitement, yet it also calms and centers me, when I create something new.  I love to do it, but also realize, it is something I feel compelled to do

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 11:53:07 AM »
Making a song your own is more about how you play it in total than the style. Phrasing, moving the melody around just enough to be individual without losing the song, adding to the harmony, pacing - all these things are what makes a performance individual. It is often quite subtle. Changing the style by itself will not really make it individual unless you add these elements. Essentially you want a listener to feel comfort in the familiarity of the song, and yet still just enough different to be worth listening.
Mike