Author Topic: TTT Theatre Organ Universe?  (Read 43670 times)

Tyros 4 Oldie

TTT Theatre Organ Universe?
« on: September 07, 2019, 12:57:33 PM »
When I had my Tyros 2 I added the TTT theatre organ samples and upgraded these when I later changed to the Tyros 4.   I did this quite a few years ago and I think that I currently have the Theatre Diamond pack, also Wizard Compton and Reg Dixon. (I don't think the latter was fully released, but I have an early version).

I am dabbling again with the Tyros and am seriously considering replacing the TTT pack with the 'Theatre Organ Universe' pack which Reg Rawlings says is quite an upgrade.  Obviously additional registrations will be, but I notice from the literature that many of the HDD slots are numbered and named the same.   I understand from Reg via email that these have been improved and obviously I don't have the Fairground Organ registrations.

Don't laugh, but as an ex-semi pro guitarist (up until 30 years ago!) I play by ear using single finger chords and transpose (I do love the key of 'C'!).   

Do forum members conversant with the latest version consider it a worthwhile upgrade?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Offline EileenL

Re: TTT Theatre Organ Universe?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 03:01:33 PM »
I use TTT voices in my Genos. These I originally got for my Tyros 4 as UNV files and they still work very well. You have to load them in on the numbers stated so that the registrations work as they should in Tyros 4.

Tyros 4 Oldie

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 12:54:11 PM »
Hello Eileen - Guru whose articles I have read over many years!

What I wondered is if the new set is a worthwhile sound improvement over the previous ones? 

On the subject of the TTT theatre organ samples, one issue which they have always had is that the accompaniment has a fixed volume.  Reg says that is the most realistic, but I sometimes find that it is too loud in comparison with the registrations.   I do use the Assign slider on the style, but the left hand accompaniment can still be overpowering.    Without making new registrations, can I also reduce the left hand other than manually using the mixer controls, because that setting is lost as soon as I change registration - which of course one frequently does on a Tyros 4 Wurlitzer!! :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 01:01:10 PM by Tyros 4 Oldie »

Tyros 4 Oldie

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 12:54:06 PM »
Well, I took the gamble and ordered the new Theatre Organ Universe and have to say that it is a substantial sound improvement over the Theatre Diamond etc I previously had.  I never thought that the fairground organ sounds would be fun to play along with.

I do have one query which would probably relate to a lot of other software.  The multipads are not linking to the registrations and the advice I have been given is to re-link the multipads and resave those registration sets.   Again I'm afraid I cannot find out how to do this, having researched on-line and watched You-Tube.

The custom multipads are all preceeded by the I:\ suffix - I cannot find I:\ identified on my HDD through the Tyros, or any other letter for that matter.  (I no longer have a laptop to check.)   Obviously if I could copy them to that location they would work!

I have copied them to the User drive but cannot find how to link the registrations to those multipads.   Help would really be appreciated.

On a point of clarification Fred - I just want to play the keyboard and not have to fiddle for hours with these things!   Many people will love playing about with settings etc.  But at my age the joy IS in the playing! :)

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 12:56:04 PM by Tyros 4 Oldie »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 03:50:46 PM »
You will need to save your registrations to USB or Hard Drive. Then you select the bank and select the multi pad you want and re-save into the bank. Then you must resave the bank.
  Also make sure you have Multi Pad ticked in memory.

Tyros 4 Oldie

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 12:42:07 PM »
You will need to save your registrations to USB or Hard Drive. Then you select the bank and select the multi pad you want and re-save into the bank. Then you must resave the bank.
  Also make sure you have Multi Pad ticked in memory.

Thanks for trying to help, but I am still unable to solve the save issue!   I cannot get the registration to automatically connect to the custom multipad either on the HDD or USB (which, after research I now know is drive I:/ if fitted to the top USB port).

I can manually do this both on the HDD and USB.  When I try to save (after ensuring the tick boxes are correct) I allow it to overwrite the original registration bank name but it still has not saved the link to the multipad.    I have also tried resaving the registration bank a second time (assuming that is what you meant) but that does not work either.   Deep frustration!

Any ideas greatfully appreciated?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 12:52:21 PM by Tyros 4 Oldie »

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 02:30:49 PM »
"I can manually do this both on the HDD and USB.  When I try to save (after ensuring the tick boxes are correct) I allow it to overwrite the original registration bank name but it still has not saved the link to the multipad.    I have also tried resaving the registration bank a second time (assuming that is what you meant) but that does not work either.   Deep frustration!"

Hi,  you said you have saved, but before the actual save where you are asked if you want to overwrite, you need to first press the Memory button (which is the point at which it is important to get the ticks correct for what you want) followed by a press of the registration button that you want to memorise those changes to. THEN go to the bank save where you have to give the OK to overwrite.
You may have done all the above correctly in sequence anyway,  but since you did not mention it I thought it worthwhile to point it out.
 :)

John
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 02:33:30 PM by jwyvern »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 04:03:24 PM »
Please make sure you have both multi pads and registrations saved in the same place. ie. Hard Drive or USB. I always prefer Hard Drive for this. Now bring up your first registration and then choose the multi pad from the same media you have registrations on. It is a good idea to pop the freeze button on for this and then your Multi pad will not disappear when pressing other reg. Buttons. Try it out and if happy with it save the registration back to where you are using it from. It will now work OK for you.
  Always remember not to move any of the multi Pads to a different location or the registration bank
will not find them.

Tyros 4 Oldie

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 01:05:40 PM »
Thank you both for your help.  At last I’m getting somewhere.  It seems that because I was assuming when I pressed memory I did not need to press button 1 because the registration was already that set up by TTT which I did not want to corrupt.  After a lot of tinkering I tried button 1 which worked on some and not others only to discover that I had accidently corrupted some of the original registration files in my attempts at trying everything to resolve the issue!

ATM I am steadily working through them with some success, having to reinstall those I had corrupted, but sometimes finding the registration is stored correctly for buttons 2-8, but 1 is incorrect.   

I will report back shortly as I also purchased the 'Supersound Universe' pack so there is quite a lot to sort out (and correct!).   I am hoping that this system works correctly as button 1 seems to have no multipad buttons switched on until moving through the other reg buttons.   TTT are away ATM on a sales/ demo 'bus mans holiday' at St Audries holiday facility so I cannot contact them.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 01:08:08 PM by Tyros 4 Oldie »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 12:35:01 AM »
You usually would not have multi pads playing at the beginning of a song. These you bring in latter to build the song and that is what Reg has done by not putting them on button one. Your registration banks are probably working as they should.

Tyros 4 Oldie

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 11:42:34 AM »
Thank you Eileen for explaining that point.

I have completed and repaired all of the installation and now the multipads and registrations work correctly.  What a really great sounding couple of packages these are!

One thing Reg and Dave have done differently this time (or again I have something incorrect!) is that  although button one will transpose, it always returns to the base key if you have transposed others of the 2 - 8 buttons.  For  example you start of in C and transpose up by 3, all of the other 2 x 8 buttons will be in that new key, but if you press the 1 key again you are back in the key of C.  This happens with every one of the registrations in the new packs, but did not on anything I had previously from TTT.   Is not a major issue but when one is trying to play as a Wurlitzer (;)) one keeps changing the registrations, don’t hit button or you will have a problem!   

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 01:17:04 PM »
"One thing Reg and Dave have done differently this time (or again I have something incorrect!) is that  although button one will transpose, it always returns to the base key if you have transposed others of the 2 - 8 buttons.  For  example you start of in C and transpose up by 3, all of the other 2 x 8 buttons will be in that new key, but if you press the 1 key again you are back in the key of C.  This happens with every one of the registrations in the new packs, but did not on anything I had previously from TTT. "

If I understand correctly this is because registration 1 has a transpose value memorised to it to set it for the song. Transpose was not saved to the other regs 2 to 8 which means you can manually alter transpose to whatever you want without them interfering with your manual setting. But if you go back to reg 1 it will always return the TP to the saved value chosen by the creator of the reg. There are a number of things you could do:

1 Freeze transpose for reg1 (or have Freeze on for whole bank if simpler) and set your own value manually (probably useful as a temporary measure. It can get confusing longer term having some regs with freeze on while others do not).
2  If you always want to play these with a fixed key of your own resave reg1 ensuring the transpose is set to what you need and that Transpose is ticked while memorising (in addition to all the usual ticks for these regs, eg. Tempo, Style, Voice, Harmony, Multipad?)
3  If you want complete freedom to set TP to various values manually without interference from reg1, then carry out 2 but without Transpose ticked.

Note: If you carry out 2 or 3 ensure you save the registration bank to a name that is different from the original. That way  the original will be preserved if you get results you did not want   :)

John
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 01:20:28 PM by jwyvern »

Tyros 4 Oldie

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 04:34:36 AM »
Thank you John.  Your explanation seems clear to me.

I might well try this out and will also check with TTT after their demo week as to whether or not the registraion setting was intentional.   I will report back.