Author Topic: Comparison Specifications Genos >> SX900  (Read 76513 times)

Offline ton37

Comparison Specifications Genos >> SX900
« on: September 06, 2019, 08:37:27 PM »
Hi, I did a quick scan of the specifications of the Genos vs. the SX900. There are quite a lot of similarities. For your info I have listed the most distinctive differences.
Genos >> SX900

* Polyphony: 256 (128/128) >> 128
* Keys: 76 >> 61
* Aftertouch: Y >> N
* Knobs/Sliders: Y >> N
* SA2: Y >> N
* More Styles/Voices/MP/Ens.: Y >> N
* User Effects: 3 >> 30
* Freeplay: 10 >> 6
* Chord Looper: N >> Y
* Style Reset: N >> Y
* Rec.Format: Wav. >> Wav. + Mp3
* Multi-audio rec.: Y >> N
* Int.Mem.User Drive: 58 GB >> 4 GB
* Exp.Mem.: 1,8 GB >> 1 GB
* Reg.Mem.: 10 >> 8
* Bluetooth: N >> Y
* Footped.: 3 >> 2
* Speakers: N >> Y
* Price: €4200 (with speakers) >> € 2200

« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 09:02:49 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

beykock

Re: Comparison Specifications Genos >> SX900
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 08:57:49 PM »
Thanks, Ton !

Is the SX900 a baby Genos or a different arranger ?
What do you think ?

Babette

Offline ton37

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 09:09:10 PM »
Hi Babette, hard to say. Let me put it this way: at least it's a new baby from the Yamaha family. I just don't know who the father is, although I have a serious suspicion ... And the parents decide if there are more babies to come ..
My best regards,
Ton

beykock

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 10:00:23 PM »
You are right, Ton.
The SX900 is a Yamaha family member, for sure.😀

But ... I would rather call it an " adopted Genos baby "
though.😸

Best regards, Babette

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 10:53:53 AM »
Personally I think if none of the mid range models have SA2, then they can't even be a true baby Tyros (at least from Tyros 3) let alone a Genos. We may see SA2 sounds in the successor to the SX900 eventually but at the moment the Tyros models still hold their own.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 12:00:02 PM »
SX900 may not have SA2 but very good effects can be had by using the joy stick which is much easier than the two wheels we had on Tyros models. Listen to some of the Yamaha demo's and you will see it being used with great effect.
  I don't think you can call the new keyboard a baby anything. It is a keyboard in its own right.
If you think back to the first Tyros models which were 61 note boards and cost around £2000 then you now have the same 61 note keyboard with three right hand voices but much more advanced.

beykock

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 03:08:08 PM »
@Eileen :

Why do you seem to be so negative about the Tyros now ?
Or am I wrong ?

From 2002 to 2017 you always said the Tyros family was the world's best arranger family ever.

The Tyros is a Legend and made Yamaha the Arranger Keyboard Leader of the World.

We may never forget the Tyros, I hope.🙏

Babette
A Tyros5 lover
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 03:10:03 PM by beykock »

Offline ton37

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 03:25:32 PM »
Hi Babette, EileenL is quite capable of 'defending' herself  ;) In a general sense, I think it has to do with 'advancing insight' into the 'time' dimension. I once thought the Technics KN7000 was the best on the market. Yes, at that time and for me .... You should see such statements relatively in time. As far as I'm concerned, if have no problem with the fact that such statement can be done (once): the Genos, the best of the best ... right now!? But don't blame me for it in 5 years …  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 03:33:43 PM »
Hi Babette,
  I had Tyros 1,2,3,4,and5 and loved every one of them as to me they were the best on the market but time dose not stand still and technology improves and operating systems become better and more convenient to use. We all see this in Genos and that is why so many of us have changed and are pleased we did. You will see some music forums where it is nearly all Genos keyboards that are being used where as before it was mainly Tyros 5. The same thing will happen with the SX900. For those wanting a 61 note keyboard and three right hand voices with lots of other additions there dream has come true. The price is around what Tyros 1 and2 was but with lots more content and new features.
  Time moves on and so should we. 

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 03:37:58 PM »
Tyros models may well of been 2 grand back in November 2002 but if the first Tyros or even the second Tyros was released in today's currency or monetary rate it would also have been 3 grand plus, just as if the SX 900 was released in 2002 it would probably been under a grand, so I don't think the price comparison from back then to now has any bearing on quality. I just don't think you can really compare a top model with a mid range model in it's entirety, and it may even be the case that mid range models may never get any of the features from a top line full stop.

beykock

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 06:27:47 PM »
OK, Guys I see what you mean.
I have to admit and agree we cannot stop technology. ;) 

BTW, could it be possible the sales of the Genos will decrease drastically due to the introduction and presence of the SX900 ?
Do Genos owners expect new Genos updates very soon ?
Or ... might Yamaha decide to launch the Genos2 much sooner than we think ?

Regards, Babette

Offline ton37

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 07:26:12 PM »
I assume that such a multinational as Yamaha is, chooses the right time to put its next product on the market. I suspect that the Genos has created a good profit for Yamaha, far most are sold. The Sx900 is also expected to do that. I myself think that the Genos 2 will come onto the market next year (end of 2020). Why not, after the success of the Genos, the shareholders will certainly insist on it? I'm afraid the current Genos will get 1/2 maintenance update. maybe with a small bonus (style reset?), but not to the extent that it will harm the sale of the Genos2. But all of that will prove the future. Enjoy what you have right now ..... Happy keyboarding ..
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 07:27:42 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

beykock

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 09:37:18 PM »
Hi :

I wonder how an arranger keyboard will look like in a couple of years. A music box or a music instrument ?

How far will musicians go ? Where is the limit ?

Will too much computer technology not take away all the fun, the joy, the passion of playing music ?

Maybe then musicians will go back to the traditional piano or the good old Hammond organ, who knows ?

Babette

« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 10:08:30 PM by beykock »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 12:00:41 AM »
Why should Genos become cheaper in price because Yamaha launched a smaller model. They are two different keyboards.
  I don't think we will see a Genos 2 for another two years at least.