Author Topic: As good as ?  (Read 15982 times)

Offline Ton Antheunisse

As good as ?
« on: September 05, 2019, 07:07:04 AM »
A simple question to those of you who own or have owned a Tyros 5 and/or PSR 975. Are they compatible as far as quality sound is concerned ? I have owned many Yammies over the years, and the T5 has not overly impressed me
We are downsizing and a psr takes up a little ?? less space because it has not got the speakers.
But which is the better keyboard?
All suggestions welcome,
Ton

Offline Graham UK

Re: As good as ?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 07:18:32 AM »
I recently purchased a T5-76 and find the sound quality very good. Past 12 years I have used a T2 + NP30 Twinset.
My Twinset now has the T5 + NP30.

DGX670

beykock

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 07:34:23 AM »
Hi Ton :

An easy question but a very difficult answer though.😱

I am a Tyros5/76 arranger owner. I am very happy with this great instrument but who am I to tell you which choice you have to make ?😻

I am convinced the new range of keyboards like the Genos and the SX serie are very nice, modern arrangers with a superb sound.

For me there is no reason to upgrade but other members of this forum have a different opinion and they are making an other choice ... that's the way it is and each opinion should be respected, IMHO.

You are the only decision maker.
All depends on your personal needs, taste and budget.

Take care, Babette
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 07:49:26 AM by beykock »

Offline mcbrown

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 08:34:52 AM »
Hi Ton,
I am currently a Genos owner and I  previously had a PSR s910 and then a T5 76. I was initially a bit disappointed with the T5 as it sounded straight out of the box compared to the 910. Following some advice from this forum I managed to set up the T5 where I was more or less happy with it.

I kept the 910 for a while but when I considered the work required to maintain the files for two keyboards I reluctantly decided to sell it. The amazing thing was that when I advertised it a guy from 3,000+ miles away flew to my place to check it out, decided he would take it and flew back to his place with the s910 that day. He had a 900 which had died and he had lots of gig's lined up.

I was considering downsizing the T5 76 as I found it too big and heavy to transport.  My thought was to go for a T5 61 but then along came the Genos. Very happy with the Genos and it has sounds which in general I believe are better than the T5 and I love the touch screen. I only wish it had a tilting screen like the T5.

I have not tried the 975 so cannot comment on that. The problem for us keyboard players is that we have too many options available now to choose from.

Murray
Genos + MS01, TouchMix 30 Dig Mixer, Fender Strat & Tele, Cole Clark FL3, Music Man 210 75 and Behringer: FCB1010, B1200D Subs x 2 & B205D f/b spkrs x4, Boss: GT-1 Guitar Fx, Roland: GR-55 Guitar Synth, MAUI 28 G2 & 5 GO x2, Korg EK-50L Arranger, Zoom L-8

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 09:33:34 AM »
I have both keyboards. The T5 has the scat voices, three right voices and the ensemble function, and the 975 has the arpeggiator. If size matters wait for the Sx900.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline ton37

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 11:12:36 AM »
Hi Ton, in my exploration of the Yammie's I tried out the Tyros 5-76, the Genos, the S770 and the S975. They are all great keyboards, in terms of sound quality. Only the technology progresses and the new keyboards have just a little more possibilities and Yamaha always manages to get the sound a little better. Everything has its price. The T5 and the Genos eventually fell off because they were simply just too big for my home studio, allthought I loved the touchscreen! Occasionally I had to move them and then they were nice to the weight and given the size difficult to handle. The S770 unfortunately had too little expansion memory, hence the switch to the S975. I also wanted to have a guitar input. The keys of the PSR S felt a bit light and make just a little too much noise if you hit them more firmly. Eventually I end up with the new SX900 (luckily with a touchscreen), which I expect to meet all my requirements. Just in time in my search for the final keyboard. In other words: everyone looks for what suits him / her and enjoys it. Good luck with your 'search'. ;)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 11:41:26 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline DerekA

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 12:46:53 PM »
If you are downsizing T5, the natural choice would be the new SX900.

SX900 is pretty much a T5 in a smaller Genos-like wrapper (excepting the keybed and a couple of features like ensemble voice and multitraack audio).
Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 01:18:54 PM »
Yes I was going to say that if you can go for the new SX900. My dealer is going to the Yamaha introduction course tomorrow and will give me some info tomorrow evening. It sounds like it is going to be a great little keyboard.