Author Topic: What do you think: buy a 'cheaper' second-hand Yammie or a Xpensive new one?  (Read 37527 times)

Offline ton37

A luxurious problem.
I have tried several Yammie's (bought them and sell them). Usually second-hand, only once a new one. The Tyros 5-76, the S770 and the S975 I bought 2nd hand. I could buy them relatively cheaply and sell them again with a little profit or at the same price for which I bought it. The only keyboard on which I lost was the Yamaha Genos (it was impossible to get second-hand at the time). In other words: it pays to wait a few years until the price drops and you come up against a bargain or take the plunge now and enjoy it a few years earlier. What is 'wisdom'?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 07:35:06 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Toril S

Doesn't work here in Norway! When I bought my S970 two years after it was released, I payed more than when it was new. But I have a used Tyros 5 now, and think I got a fair deal on that. If you can find good deals on used keyboards, why not? But it is a little risky, you don't know how it has been handled. I said I never was going to buy a used keyboard, but I did, and is satisfied with it.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

ekurburski

My main kb is the psr 3000.  I bought it used for $500.00 and am totally happy.  I keep thinking I want a newer updated model but I'm not convinced that the newer models are really that much better sounding and I really think that's the bottom line.  Fact is, I really don't think the 3000 is that much better sounding then my 740.  It has more features that are worth the extra $ but I'm not sure that the newer models have that much more than I have now.

beykock

Some people never buy second hand arrangers and some other people never buy new arrangers.
It is a personal choice.

Much more important is to enjoy the instrument and have a lot of fun, IMHO.

Babette
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 11:21:18 PM by beykock »

Offline andyg

I've not bought a brand new keyboard for almost 20 years. From my PSR2000 onwards, they've all been used or ex-demo stock. All have given faithful service and I've not had one problem with any of them. They've all been around 1/2 to 2/3 the price of a new one.

When the students who I know are going to go far with their playing reach Grade 3, I have that sometimes 'awkward' chat with them or their parents (two of these coming up next week) about why Grade 3 is technically beyond the capabilities of an entry level keyboard. I steer them towards the PSR3000 or a PSR-S9xx. If we haven't got one in stock downstairs at the shop, then they are advised to look at places like ebay etc. I tell them that a PSR-S900, that cost almost £1500 new, can be bought privately for £500, maybe less, and that the S970 can be found for maybe £800 less than a new S975.

In an ideal world, I'd have a brand new keyboard every time and all my students would too. But finances often dictate otherwise.

If you want or need to be up to date, splash the cash. If you want a good keyboard and don't mind being a generation or two behind, save yourself a few bob! :)
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline Toril S

Can the 3000 be found still?
Toril S

and PSR-47.

ekurburski

Toril, I found one on ebay today with starting bid 1200.00!  I don't think they really want to sell it.  I see them from time to time for 6-750 $ asking price.  So yes there are some still around and available.

Pino

I play many keyboards, mainly PSR, perfect for gigging, I don’t hear much difference from the PSR 3000 to the S975, if I record a song on both keyboards you just could not say for sure which is which by listening to the recording. Yes, the 975 has many new sounds but most of the sounds are from the same WAV as past keyboards, with a different EQ/fx, I mean 90 guitars,I only use 3 guitars.

Now there is endless talk about how good the SX900 is, well, from what I’ve heard so far, nothing much has changed in the sound department, you really have to go up to a Genos for better all round sound improvements, if the Genos was available as a Genos 61 then I would have got one a long time ago,

If I just had a PSR 3000 to gig with, I would be ok with it, probably would take 2/3 weeks to get it ‘stage ready’.   just recorded some small clips on the -3000

The drums are probably better on the S975 but to be truthful, I haven’t spent any time to edit the style or anything on the 3000, just recorded it straight.

(apologies RE. the balance of the recording, I have no time to sort that out right now, it’s just a ‘sound check’ clip)

Pino

https://app.box.com/s/zj2275ugztdwcag4qfyiil4gqneuz312   

The following users thanked this post: ton37

beykock

I absolutely agree with your statement, Pino.
Well said ! 👍

Thank you for your piece of music. I like it very much.🎩

As I mentioned before all Yamaha keyboards are good.
Old and new. High or low end.

The audience is not interested in which keyboard a performer is playing on.
The audience does not care at all.
The audience wants to see and to hear a good performer.

The audience is only interested in the quality of the music played by the keyboard musician and her/his entertainment qualities and skills.

In this forum we hear too often from certain members the newest model is always so much better than the previous one due to technical improvements, better sounds and additional computer gadgets.
Salesman chats, maybe ? 😀

Every musician likes technical improvements but it is not her/his priority.

For the home player it is very important he/she is enjoying what he/she is doing. He/she wants to have fun and relax.😀

In a pro recording studio technicians and producers have all the software and equipment available to create the best sounds.
They are only interested in the musical skills of the musician. Time is money there.

Best regards, Babette

« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 08:49:08 AM by beykock »

Offline Toril S

Thanks Pino! Loved to hear you play!! WOW! I like the drums on my 2100 better than the ones on my 975. That is just me, has nothing to do with what drums sound more realistic.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline ton37

Re: What do you think: buy a 'cheaper' second-hand Yammie or a Xpensive new one?
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 10:27:25 AM »
Hi Pino, I sincerely like your soundtrack. Clear, crispy and warm voices with good balance! Thank you for clarifying your statement with this example.
My best regards,
Ton

ekurburski

Re: What do you think: buy a 'cheaper' second-hand Yammie or a Xpensive new one?
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 06:46:20 PM »
Hi Pino.  ou are making it very hard for me to continue to consider moving up to a newer keyboard!  In fact I may just have to get me a backup 3000 for the one I have.  I ned to spend more time playing what I have and less time on the forums.

Pino

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 01:02:49 PM »
This is what is important to me to create good music on my keyboard

Harmony/Echo button on the front panel- use this every song
Audio in 3.5mm for recording YouTube, - perfect for learning new songs
USB Audio player/Recorder - Record your song and listen to what changes you need to make or EQing
Press the style button to go through styles page by page
SFF2 format

The rest is almost identical on all YAMAHA keyboards from the PSR 3000 up if not from PSR 8000 right up to the Genos,
All these features are on the S910, maybe on the 900 also, the S910 is a good choice, I saw one advertised recently, hardly used from new £230/$299, what a real bargain.

Pino

littleComposers

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 01:51:33 AM »
A luxurious problem.

Indeed! :)

On a more serious note, I'd wait a bit to see what shakes later in the fall. If Yamaha announces a successor, then you can save money because several people might trade up. If you have a gig then buy it. It does a lot for what it costs and since the instrument is mostly software-driven, Yamaha could prolong this one much more than previous models. :)