Yamaha Keyboards (4 Boards) > Yamaha Keyboards - General

What do you think: buy a 'cheaper' second-hand Yammie or a Xpensive new one?

(1/3) > >>

ton37:
A luxurious problem.
I have tried several Yammie's (bought them and sell them). Usually second-hand, only once a new one. The Tyros 5-76, the S770 and the S975 I bought 2nd hand. I could buy them relatively cheaply and sell them again with a little profit or at the same price for which I bought it. The only keyboard on which I lost was the Yamaha Genos (it was impossible to get second-hand at the time). In other words: it pays to wait a few years until the price drops and you come up against a bargain or take the plunge now and enjoy it a few years earlier. What is 'wisdom'?

Toril S:
Doesn't work here in Norway! When I bought my S970 two years after it was released, I payed more than when it was new. But I have a used Tyros 5 now, and think I got a fair deal on that. If you can find good deals on used keyboards, why not? But it is a little risky, you don't know how it has been handled. I said I never was going to buy a used keyboard, but I did, and is satisfied with it.

ekurburski:
My main kb is the psr 3000.  I bought it used for $500.00 and am totally happy.  I keep thinking I want a newer updated model but I'm not convinced that the newer models are really that much better sounding and I really think that's the bottom line.  Fact is, I really don't think the 3000 is that much better sounding then my 740.  It has more features that are worth the extra $ but I'm not sure that the newer models have that much more than I have now.

beykock:
Some people never buy second hand arrangers and some other people never buy new arrangers.
It is a personal choice.

Much more important is to enjoy the instrument and have a lot of fun, IMHO.

Babette

andyg:
I've not bought a brand new keyboard for almost 20 years. From my PSR2000 onwards, they've all been used or ex-demo stock. All have given faithful service and I've not had one problem with any of them. They've all been around 1/2 to 2/3 the price of a new one.

When the students who I know are going to go far with their playing reach Grade 3, I have that sometimes 'awkward' chat with them or their parents (two of these coming up next week) about why Grade 3 is technically beyond the capabilities of an entry level keyboard. I steer them towards the PSR3000 or a PSR-S9xx. If we haven't got one in stock downstairs at the shop, then they are advised to look at places like ebay etc. I tell them that a PSR-S900, that cost almost £1500 new, can be bought privately for £500, maybe less, and that the S970 can be found for maybe £800 less than a new S975.

In an ideal world, I'd have a brand new keyboard every time and all my students would too. But finances often dictate otherwise.

If you want or need to be up to date, splash the cash. If you want a good keyboard and don't mind being a generation or two behind, save yourself a few bob! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version