Author Topic: Yamaha Launches 3 New PSS Keyboards! PSS-A50 | PSS-E30 | PSS-F30  (Read 45025 times)

Offline voodoo

Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

SeaGtGruff

Re: Yamaha Launches 3 New PSS Keyboards! PSS-A50 | PSS-E30 | PSS-F30
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 10:43:35 AM »
My impression from the videos is that the E30 model is intended for small children, the F30 model is intended for somewhat older children, and the A50 model is intended for adolescents and adults.

Offline hans1966

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 05:02:54 PM »
It is excellent for creating music on the go. Thanks Uli, for the link. Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 12:58:17 AM »
Hi --

Thanks for mentioning these new keyboards.

The E30 is definitely for young kids. Barnyard animals above the keys where you would expect to find percussion instrument icons?  :)

The F30 is targeted for older kids -- maybe 8 years old? It's a mini-arranger with a fair number of entry-level instruments and styles. Might be a fun keyboard for adults on the go, too.

The A50 might be for teenagers. Yamaha has posted Youtube videos demonstrating arpeggio-based song creation, mainly popular musical genres. The arps look familiar - maybe from the old MM synth series? There are 138 built-in arps.

All of them are inexpensive and use the same keybed as Reface. Oddly, the F30 is better spec'ed for instruments than the A50. Probably to aupport the styles.

Take care -- pj
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 12:59:39 AM by pjd »

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 01:06:06 AM »
I noticed that as well, about the number of voices on the F30 versus the A50. I guess they couldn't pack in as many voices on the A50 and still include all the other features. It might be marketed to young adults, but it looks like it could also be a fun "lap toy" to fool around on while you're sitting in your easy chair watching television. I didn't check Yamaha's website to see if the product pages are up yet, but I'm curious whether they have any MIDI capabilities.

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 04:13:34 AM »
Hi Michael --

I found product pages on the asia/latin America site. (Maybe Yamaha USA is off for Labor Day.)

Only the A50 has MIDI over USB. All draw power through a USB B connector in addition to battery power (4x AA). The site had a short MIDI reference.

I agree -- these keyboards could be fun for kids of all ages.  :)

-- pj

Offline SciNote

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 05:50:08 AM »
Very interesting development!  While not exactly what I would buy to replace my PSR-E433, there are some interesting features.  If you go to this site...

https://asia-latinamerica-mea.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/portable_keyboards/pss-a50/index.html

...you can scroll down and see the A50 keyboard.  Click on the photo of the A50, and then keep expanding it so you can see the details of the control panel.  Look at the little round button at the top, just to the left of the digital display, and what do you see?

PORTAMENTO!

Maybe this is a harbinger of things to come in the new E-series replacements, whenever they come out!  The motion effect seems interesting, as it looks like it can be set to filter, pitch, or modulation.  By "motion effect", I wonder if it is something like Roland's "D-BEAM", that alters the sound based on how you wave your hand above a sensor.

EDIT:  I took a look at the other keyboards in this set, and that F30 looks essentially like a miniature version of the PSR-F51.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 08:48:42 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios