Author Topic: Memory Error in style edit after update to 1.4x- A Pro-Workstation? Not Anymore?  (Read 164374 times)

Offline bluali

I updated my Genos to 1.41 and I noticed I got memory problem that I did not have before. this happens whenever I edit a style to create one intro and one ending with 32 measures. the first one for example "Ending2" goes without any problem but creating the second 32 measure for "Intro3" gives this error message "Not enough free space in memory".  I cleaned my User memory but it didn't work.  I also downgraded to 1.40 and it did not resolve the problem. Maybe it is not related to the recent firmware updates. I really appreciate any help in this issue. Thanks, Al

9/21/2019----Today I got a memory error message even when I was making an intro with 16 bars.   ;D  ;D  >:(  >:( it is crazy! and made me so mad. :(  I never expected this error happens on a professional music workstation. I hope Yamaha fix this issue ASAP. I may make a video of these failures if I find enough time in my busy work schedule. Hopefully no need for that.
Dear Yamaha, Please note that this keyboard is supposed to be an "Arranger" not a "midi player".  If Yamaha in fact has minimized the "Style memory space" and has maximized the Midi(Song) play space, it is a very bad and cheap decision.  Yamaha should not sacrifice the "arranging feature" of Genos for midi playing. Everyone can play tons of Midi file via an iPad or PC connected to the Genos.  in FACT Currently Genos has been downgraded to a keyboard equipped with DJ machine , NOT anymore a Professional music workstation!!!!
9/24/2019 ----- I emailed Yamaha Support in USA regarding to this problem.

10/06/2019 ------ Just read the exciting news about the new OS update " Genos Ver2.00" is coming soon. I strongly hope that all this issues will be resolved and Yamaha Genos will Shine again. 8)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 04:37:26 AM by bluali »
Yamaha (since 1977): YC10, PSR500, TYROS 3/4/5, Genos, GENOS2
GM: WK8,
Korg: i5S, Pa80, PA1X, PA800, PA2x, PA4x, PA5X
Technics: KN3000

Online EileenL

Re: memory Problem in style editing after updating to 1.41 OS
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 11:11:07 PM »
This Is not User memory but the memory in the style creator. It has a maximum allowed for each style created and by trying to use 32 bars in Intro 2 and 3 plus ending makes the file to large.

Offline bluali

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 12:30:25 AM »
This Is not User memory but the memory.....
Thanks, I knew that and in the past I were able to create styles that has 32 bars on all the Intros1-3 even with my Tyros keyboards However I still can make styles with more than 32 bars via the software but I am wondering why this can not be done through the Keyboard. we will figure it out.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 12:31:41 AM by bluali »

Online EileenL

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 06:36:15 PM »
I can't see anyone wanting to use a 32 bar intro or ending. Four to eight seems to be the norm unless you are trying to put a whole song in them in which case it is easier to record them in midi.

Offline bluali

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 06:05:18 AM »
Hi bluali,
did you try to create 16 measures with half bpm? Maybe this could be a solution.

Francesco
no I did not try it Thanks for the suggestion but I don't need to do that since currently I can create styles even with 70 to 80 bars with no problem by using computer software. the problem is that I used to create several styles with 32 bars in intros and ending with my keyboard and I can not do it anymore.

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 01:33:36 AM »
I updated my Genos to 1.41 and I noticed I got memory problem that I did not have before. this happens whenever I edit a style to create one intro and one ending with 32 measures. the first one for example "Ending2" goes without any problem but creating the second 32 measure for "Intro3" gives this error message "Not enough free space in memory".  I cleaned my User memory but it didn't work.  I also downgraded to 1.40 and it did not resolve the problem. Maybe it is not related to the recent firmware updates. I really appreciate any help in this issue. Thanks, Al

Hi Al,

from firmware version 1.30 to 1.40, the maximum capacity per file of the internal SONG RAM has been expanded from approx. 300 KB to 3 MB.

Maybe this did slightly affect (decrease) the capacity of the internal STYLE RAM, for some reason.

You might ask the Yamaha Support about this problem.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 01:36:56 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: bluali, KeyboardByBiggs

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 09:43:24 PM »
Al, if you really need those long 32 bar phrases, would one way to reduce the memory requirement be to take out an unnecessary instrument? That is, can you get by with fewer instruments in the style? I wonder if that would do it.

Does the Style Creator have its own dedicated RAM or does it borrow it from the system RAM? Somehow, I think it's the latter.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 12:13:38 PM »
Might as well buy a tape recorder!! ;D
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline bluali

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 10:26:35 PM »
Might as well buy a tape recorder!! ;D
Thank you for sharing your way and your expertise. you are a big asset to the community!

Offline bluali

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 10:32:26 PM »
from firmware version 1.30 to 1.40, the maximum capacity per file of the internal SONG RAM has been expanded from approx. 300 KB to 3 MB.....
Thank you Chris, very helpful explanation. It make senses that Yamaha messed up with the style parts RAM space while increase RAM space for Song.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 11:22:00 AM »
Hi
Like Eileen explains, why would you want a 32 bar start or end.
That is almost 25%to 33% 0f a song for 3 minutes.
Four to eight bars is sufficient for most songs.
I always maintain practice and more practice to make life easier when you play, because it pays off in the end
It is just getting the confidence in yourself.
I practice all the time and recording a song means less lego brick building and only small amounts of edits. I always play my Intros and endings now as it is more fun.
I am learning Going Loco Down In Acapulco and that has about five sections to learn and 4 sharps (E Major). also have to play some sections which are not on the sheet music as I love originality.
I thought i would never get around this , but keeping the old nose to the grindstone pays off.
If you want long compositions , Cubase is the best answer and combining with VST.
You do not want Alan Sugar's comments about oscar winning  Mick Ronson to apply to yourself!! ;D SAUSAGES!!! ::) :P

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 11:25:32 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline bluali

Today I got a memory error message even when I was making an intro with 16 bars.   ;D  ;D  >:(  >:( it is crazy! and made me so mad. :(  I never expected this error happens on a professional music workstation. I hope Yamaha fix this issue ASAP. I may make a video of these failures if I find enough time in my busy work schedule. Hopefully no need for that.
Dear Yamaha, Please note that this keyboard is supposed to be an "Arranger" not a "midi player".  If Yamaha in fact has minimized the "Style memory space" and has maximized the Midi(Song) play space, it is a very bad and cheap decision.  Yamaha should not sacrifice the "arranging feature" of Genos for midi playing. Everyone can play tons of Midi file via an iPad or PC connected to the Genos.  in FACT Currently Genos has been downgraded to a keyboard equipped with DJ machine , NOT anymore a Professional music workstation!!!!

Offline BenoitM

I had the same 'Memory Error' while playing and experimenting with the 'Style Assembly' function (firmware v1.30 at that time)…

Even with a very simple workflow (like 'select multiple parts from one style, copy them, paste them onto the current edited style) caused this error… In fact, the error was not systematically triggered, that's the most annoying part … sometimes it works, sometimes not…

As you said, not very professional from Yamaha…

And there's a bunch of other Bug or intentional but nonsensical limitations on the current Genos Os (1.41 at time of writing)…

The one that bother me the most was reported to Yamaha since v1.02, but nothing has been done to correct it:
- Multiple assigned DSP with customized parameters are not properly saved into a Registration… (only one of the DSPs retain its custom parameters, the others are saved into the registration with their default parameters….)
- In v1.10 they even removed a button on the U.I. that allowed us to easily tweak the parameters of each DSP assigned to the same voice without having to do ugly and time-consuming workaround like today…. (it clearly indicate that they knew that their implementation was buggy and instead of correcting it, they hide it ! )

Such a waste of Dsps power, I hoped that it would be fixed one day or another, as I see it as a big flaw, but Yamaha has a different point of view ...

Ho, and of course the suboptimal (to be gentle) voice customization allowed by 'Yamaha Extension Manager' is another pain point, since the AWM2 specs are way beyond what is exposed on the YEM surface… I don't ask for a 'Montage-like' deep editing software, I knew from day 1 that the Genos is marketed as a 'Pro Arranger Workstation', but it fail to be 'Pro' and 'Workstation' as today… (I saw several people sell their Genos, not because of the sound quality - which is awesome - but because of the lack of DAW integration, or lack of Seamless Sound Transition - a shame for such a price tag - or because they couldn't use it as is in live band play..)

A lot of issues could be corrected by Software update, but strangely Yamaha seems to be lazy and only add minor or very easy to add functionalities (and ignore other really basic things btw: optional alphabetic sort in list, ability to choose the virtual keyboard layout - Azerty/Qwertz... ).

I really hope that with the release of the PSR-SX900/700 things are gonna change, since their OS is based on the Genos one…
The 'Half bar fill' function will likely be added to the Genos (so is the 'Chord Loop'), but while useful to a lot of people, some long-time ago spotted bugs are still here...

I know that my opinion is minority here, a lot of people are perfectly happy with their Genos today, and that's fine, but just as everyone has different musical ability, everyone has different technical ability and just want to go deeper into the more 'technical' aspect of their high price tag instrument :)

The following users thanked this post: bluali

Alfred59

Not quite on topic but again I’ve not been able to upgrade, this time   from 1.4 to 1.4.  As I reported . previously on the forum I couldn’t upgrade from 1.3 to 1.4 until Yamaha uk sent me their upgrade on a usb. I have again  had to resort to this procedure  after not being able to do it myself. I have  implemented   ALL  the correct procedures but only the version I receive from Yamaha works. Yamaha can’t explain why this is happening. I’m waiting to hear whether they’ll take it in and rectify the problem.

Online EileenL

All I can say is that I hope you are telling Yamaha directly about your problems and not thinking they rely on searching through forums. They don't they rely on people telling them direct.

The following users thanked this post: bluali

Eileen, you must be a psychic! I was about to post the same comment.

These are all valid concerns, especially when they are proven bugs and features that fail to deliver as promised in the promotional literature. Start a dialog with Yamaha and please keep us posted. These problems affect a large scope of players.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.