Author Topic: Installing Expansion Pack  (Read 245424 times)

Offline Graham652

Installing Expansion Pack
« on: August 29, 2019, 03:45:10 PM »
I’m a newcomer to the forum having just purchased the PSR975
The difficulty I am having is installing the Colors of Iberia expansion pack which I downloaded free from the Yamaha site as an introductory bonus.  I have it on a USB stick and the pack shows up in the pack install section of the functions area but every time I try to install I get a warning that other data will be deleted if I continue without saving. What I need to know is firstly is the data which will be lost if I continue the pre installed expansion packs (Church and Christmas and Russian Classical )and secondly if this is the case how do I save these and still be able to install the downloaded expansion pack.

Offline EileenL

Re: Installing Expansion Pack
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 04:07:32 PM »
You have to use the YEM and install your PPF packs in there first. You can then create an install pack onto a USB pen that will install all your packs together. If you have not done this already you will need to install your ID from keyboard into the YEM on computer. This will then allow you to select packs on the YEM by making sure they have green ticks in the ones you want to load.

Offline Graham652

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 06:03:17 PM »
Thanks for that. I think I have already installed the keyboards ID into YEM but it only shows the Colors of Iberia pack which I have downloaded.  How do I install the pre loaded packs on the keyboard onto the usb stick to enable me to add them to YEM and then reinstall them along with the Iberia pack.

Offline hans1966

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 06:16:34 PM »
Hello Graham652, if you have downloaded the previous packages of yamahamusicsoft, and you have the files in PPF format inside your computer, just add them to YEM, and create a new expansion package with a different name. Greetings. Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline Graham652

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 06:43:56 PM »
Hi Hans. Thanks for the response. The other expansion packs were pre installed on the keyboard so I have not downloaded them. This seems to be the problem. I have the Iberia pack which was downloaded in YEM but doesn’t seem I can install it without losing the pre installed packs on the keyboard which I do not want to lose.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 07:48:54 PM »
Hi Hans,

As others have already said, the only type of file that you can load into the keyboard is a 'pack install file' with extension '.ppi' or '.cpi' - you can't load '.ppf' or '.cpf' directly.  Purchased packs are usually supplied as project pack files (.ppf/.cpf) and may also include install files too (.ppi/.cpi), but the most important type for most people are the project pack files which can be imported into YEM.

Each time that you load an install file into the keyboard, the expansion memory is formatted and all existing custom voices/styles etc are deleted from the keyboard.

The idea is that you import the project files of all your packs into YEM, and then use it to make a install file containing voices and other content of your choice from different packs, up to the maximum amount of expansion memory in your keyboard (approx. 768 MB on a PSR-S975).  If you want to add extra content later, then you use YEM and select all the currently loaded content plus the new to include in the install file assuming that all the voice wave samples can fit in the available memory).  Note that install files can't be imported into YEM and you can't recover the expansion content currently loaded in the keyboard to any type of file.

I assume that the 'Russian' pack you refer to is the 'Symphonic Music' pack and if so, this only contains styles.  It is available for free from Yamaha so you don't have to worry about loosing that. Here is link to the page on the Yamaha UK website from where it can be downloaded...

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-s975/vse.html#product-tabs

The styles from the pack will probably be in the 'Expansion' folder in the User drive at the moment, and if so, you should be able to 'save' each of the 20 styles from there to USB if you prefer.  They will play directly from USB.   

However the 'Church & Christmas' pack does contain voices and is not free, so unless you were supplied with a copy of the pack to import into YEM (perhaps on a USB stick), you will need to contact the person who sold you the keyboard and request a copy of the .ppf or .cpf version of the pack if you want to continue to use it with other packs.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 07:58:27 PM by tyrosaurus »

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline Graham652

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 08:15:03 PM »
Thanks to all who responded. I think Ian has summed it up insofar as the pre-installed packs did not include a copy and consequently I am unable to import them to YEM. I now must decide whether to lose the pre installed Church and Christmas pack to enable me to import others  or to pay £85 to buy it in a downloadable form from musicsoft. However first port of call is the dealer who sold me the keyboard to see if a downloadable copy is available and should have been provided when I purchased the keyboard. At least this exercise has taught me some of the ways in which Yamaha software works. Thanks again for all your help.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 10:59:32 PM »
I don't think you will loose those pre-installed packs.  They do not use the same expansion memory (I believe).  They are installed in a different memory block. A call to Yamaha should confirm this. You might ask Yamaha Tech Support if this is true for the new SX900 as well.

Joe H
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 11:05:53 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Joe H

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 11:23:07 PM »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: Sharon

Offline hans1966

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 04:26:46 AM »
Hi Ian, thank you very much for the detailed answer. Greetings. Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline Graham652

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 12:20:46 PM »
Thanks to all who have responded to my question.
I also raised the question with Yamaha technical support and they have now provided me with a definitive answer as follows :

Thank you for your email regarding your Yamaha PSRS975.
If you have currently installed  Expansion packs then these will be lost if you install any additional expansion packs, if the packs where purchased from the Musicsoft website by yourself then they will be in your account for you to download again.

So basically as the packs were pre-installed and not acquired from Musicsoft they will be lost completely when I install any other packs from  Musicsoft. Hope this information is of use to others who have bought a new keyboard with pre-installed expansion packs.