Author Topic: korg and roland styles  (Read 960690 times)

Offline chuckeys123

korg and roland styles
« on: August 28, 2019, 02:19:33 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has converted any of the newer roland styles to Yamaha...like the e series roland or korg pa4x?

Offline DrakeM

Re: korg and roland styles
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 03:17:21 AM »
Yea but I bet they are not as good as any of the real Yamaha styles sound.

The following users thanked this post: Mikk

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 07:21:50 AM »
Actually many of them are better.
I consider many of the Yamaha styles very repetitive I have deleted many of them from my Tyros 2 and 4. 

To enlarge:-
Much of the most popular music  that was made in the past,were bands made up of 4 to 6 members.
Many Yamaha styles have far more tracks than that. We have labelled them "brown".   
Mix a lot of lovely colored paints together and what do you get? "Brown"

A lot of true musicians  consider the sound of many of these Yamaha styles makes one think they a playing a lot better than they really are.
Are the styles real or are they an illusion?  We think Yamaha  could do a lot better if they really wanted to.
So I say again   "K.I.S.S."

Hi Mikk,

Interesting topic and opinion of the yamaha styles so called  "over the top busy " compared to korg and roland.
Yes, i do agree that most styles are over accessorized and lately have been deleting some of the channels.
The pad channel track 6?? seems to be the culprit for me and that is the one that gets fired.
Sometimes those phrases 7 & 8 get cancelled or voice substituted.
Never had a korg or roland but have lots of the converted styles and still i find the yamaha styles more suitable.
in many cases and yamaha IMHO excels on those break and variation change buttons.

To address the quote from Drake, he does massive style editing which eliminates that repetitive ingredient.
I will concede that the korg and roland styles are more percussive oriented, but the drums channels can also be played with.

I do thank those who have done style conversions from the G70 and the Korg models.   

Again , it is a matter of personal taste in styles and what one wants to achieve .   Am very pleased that yamaha band tracks
are so easy to modify and I am definitely NOT a style or voice edit maven.

all the best
cheers
elaine

\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

The following users thanked this post: Mikk

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 09:47:07 AM »
Mikk, would you share your conversions on this forum? That would be greatly appreciated! 😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline chuckeys123

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 02:33:36 PM »
yes Mikk.  I too would really appreciate it if you could share your conversions

beykock

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 05:37:42 AM »
Hi Mikk :

Thank you for your interesting explanation.

I understand you cannot share your conversions here.
I am absolutely respecting your decision.🎩

Up to now ( apparantly ) nobody was capable to convert Korg PA4X styles but you did and that is fantastic news !
Congratulations ! 👍

We all know Korg PA4X styles are great styles and I would be very grateful if you could upload here only one PA4X converted Ballad or R&B style, PLEASE ?🙏

I hope and pray you are willing to follow my personal request.💢

I am sure not only me but many members of this forum would be happy and grateful !

I am looking forward to hearing your reaction.

Thank you.💐

Best regards,
Babette
Ty5/76
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 05:52:38 AM by beykock »

beykock

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 09:16:12 AM »
Hi Mikk :

I know this thread very well.

Does that mean you did not convert any PA4X styles at all ?

Cheers, Babette
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 09:59:55 AM by beykock »

beykock

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 10:28:36 AM »
Hi Mikk :

I never said that I did think so. Absolutely not. It was a simple, innocent question due to the fact you referred to a previous topic where we discussed the Korg PA4X styles conversion.

It has never been my intention to offend you. Why should I ?
If I did ... I feel very sorry and plse accept my apologies and forgive me.🙏

It is absolutely great we finally have a member in our forum who is capable to convert these wonderful PA4X styles. WOW ! 🍀

Please I ( and many others ) would be very grateful if you are uploading here some of these conversions !

Thank you and best wishes, Babette

Offline panos

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 01:00:49 PM »
Converions or preset styles, is the combination of midi parts that cound and the equalization of them.
In newer models not "normal" voices add a lot to how the styles sound.
We know that sometimes we have limitations when we create/modify style parts and in specific chords they don't sound correct or nice.
I expect that the same kind of limitations may apply to convertions from other keyboards when they play on a Yamaha keyboard.

So I guess Yamaha is doing their best for they styles to sound correct using specific voices from their models,Korg and Roland are doing the same.

Korg is giving you the "midi to style" option to create new styles.
Yamaha the "assembly" option.

Offline panos

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 04:27:36 PM »
Thank you Mikk,but no way!
I am not interested to convert styles and find out how each company can make a midi part to change accordingly to the chord that is pressed,if that's what you mean  :)
I don't even thave an idea of what program to use for that type of conversion.
It would be easier to buy a Korg Pa and play along with the Yamaha Psr to avoid the.... "trouble".

Also I don't think I am a fun of the "KISS" principle in the arrangement part.
If you can add instruments (midi parts) that fit to a song or change progressively the midi parts to avoid the repetition of the backing organs, do it.
I don't see any limitation to this, from our arrangers.
There is a large row of buttons above the keybed for that reason.
It is your choice of how many times you will press those buttons in 3 and a half minutes.

Babette just asked for an example to listen to a converted style to see if it sounds good and what is that.that it makes it different from the styles she has.
Curiosity killed the cat... I am a hamster :)

beykock

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 06:43:43 PM »
Well I was very excited when I read Mikk is able to convert PA4X styles.
Mikk even said the quality is extremely good.
Many members shared my joy and IMHO everybody wanted to hear Mikk's conversions.
I asked him very friendly to upload one simple converted style.
Then Mikk referred to an older topic where all people said it is not possible to convert PA4X styles.

I was confused and disappointed.

I had a dream that probably never will come true.😦

Best regards, Babette

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2019, 08:29:27 PM »
Like I stated above, all the previous styles that have been converted pale in comparison to Yamaha's pro styles. I have come across a couple packs of converted styles they are not usable styles as is.

Now you can some times take a part or two from a converted style and use it in a Yamaha style, but that is all I have ever used a converted style
for.

Regards
Drake

Offline ikmusic

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 11:06:14 PM »
I've never encountered styles from Korg and Roland playing satisfactorily on Yamaha!  8)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 11:07:26 PM by ikmusic »
Obecnie PSR-SX900 + Roland Ra95. Wcześniej były:
Yamaha: Tyros 5/4/3/2 S970 S770 S750 S710 S670 PSR1500 E413 W7v2 V50
Roland: BK9 BK7m BK5 G800 E35 E70 E50 U20 Ra90 JV50 Mc500
Korg: Pa4x Pa1000 01Wfd
Ketron: SD5

Offline Joe H

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2019, 11:27:57 PM »
I was a part of that thread.  I posted the conversion table as a pdf.  I tried converted a style by changing the markers but the guitar parts didn't play correctly. Korg uses a different convention for their Mega Guitar Voices, I suggested substituting a Yamaha guitar part using Style Creator Assembly.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2019, 11:47:48 PM »
On a personal front, I consider styles a total illusion for performers who want themselves and listeners to think they are good players.
Persons who appreciate well played music and spend time at concerts are usually not impressed with "arranger" music   being played.
There is many a quiet chuckle and the thought "that performer doesn't have enough fingers to play that"

What?!

The PROFESSIONAL artists of TODAY use backing tracks ALL the TIME. I have even called them out on it and it's no big deal TODAY. The Sound Tech explained to me that the drummer listens to the TRACK in his ear piece in order to hold the performance on beat.

In your opinion using an "electric" guitar, "electric" Piano, microphone and Amps by Musicians is also a "total illusion for performers"::)

beykock

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2019, 05:22:01 AM »
Hi Mikk :

I am very disappointed you have decided not to upload one example of your PA4X converted styles.

I wonder why you are refusing to share your work with us.
Whatever ... it looks like we will never know.

For me this thread is closed.
Amen.☝

Babette

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 06:09:33 AM by beykock »

Offline panos

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2019, 09:59:04 AM »
Mikk I don't see anyone trying to "put you down".
People just asked for an example of a converted style
Personally I am not interested about styles unless there is a song I am about to learn and find one ready made for it to start.
I was just curious to hear how the conversions sound and if it is worth the time spend or not for such a task.
I have also read the posts on the other thread but as long as I don't have a Genos,I cannot listen to the style is posted there.It will sound badly on my psr.
So there is one successful conversion? two? three? from all the korg models?

Anyway, there is no need to talk this way about arranger performers.
Yes the audience and the "real" musicians are right.
They don't have enough fingers to play 10 organs simultaneously.
Does the best singer in the world has a "second" and a "third" voice to sing the two and three notes choruses?

Offline Henni

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2019, 12:03:09 PM »
I am very disappointed you have decided not to upload one example of your PA4X converted styles.

Here's one for you to play with.

[attachment deleted by admin]
...Fly Forever!

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, Dave Shively, Ed B, hans1966, sooty8, juketsu, fikke, Aquilauno, pmahl, balcino

beykock

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 12:06:20 PM »
Thank you very much, Henni !😀
Very much appreciated !

Babette

Offline panos

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2019, 01:07:09 PM »
I took a listen to it Henni on my s750.
I have just to use the assembly function to replace the drums.

The style sounds nice indeed.

Not that much different from Yamaha's English waltz.
Organs are pretty similar.(Probably that's why they both name it "English" waltz I guess).
It has 8 pattern length while Yamaha's has 4.
Yamaha is using a mega voice.
Both have different patterns in intros/endings
Listening Intro/ending 2 you can tell that it has the string part from "Ave Maria".
Both have not got effects in the style parts(brightness,EQ high-low etc) except from the panpot(right-left)

Thanks for sharing Henni.  :)

beykock

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2019, 02:18:53 PM »
I also want to thank Hennie for this great result.
Wonderful !💐

Best regards, Babette

Offline Henni

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2019, 02:52:55 PM »
Don't thank me, thank my friend Klaus - I blessed him with 350 euro to be able to do this without so much as breaking a sweat! He is a very talented guy and what he sells is worth many times over the price that he charges.
...Fly Forever!

Offline Henni

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2019, 03:46:53 PM »
I'll share one more - this one is really not bad at all.

...Fly Forever!

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, Dave Shively, hans1966, sooty8, juketsu, fikke, balcino

beykock

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2019, 04:56:36 PM »
S U P E R, Henni ! :)

Many thanks, Babette

beykock

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2019, 05:10:38 PM »
Hi Henni :

PA4X CONVERSIONS you have uploaded.

I just tried both styles on my T5 and I must say the sound is very good. :)

Knowing Korg's original PA4X Styles, their Ballad en R&B styles are very great " Live Band " styles. Completely different sound than Yamaha's. 

Best wishes and THANK YOU VERY MUCH !

Babette

Offline Joe H

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2019, 11:25:12 PM »
Here's the style I converted back in 2014 on my PSR S910.  I had trouble with both the guitar parts and drums.  I substituted a Yamaha guitar part and the drum kits are different on the Korg arranger also.  I went through 7 iterations to get this final version.  Bill G gave me the instructions I posted on that other thread and this style to work with. Since I couldn't listen to the original style on the Korg, it's the best I could do.   It was a lot of work.

Joe H

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 11:27:30 PM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, Dave Shively, poinsot, juketsu, sabios, wersianer, balcino

beykock

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2019, 05:29:51 AM »
Very much appreciated, Joe H !😀
Thank you.🎩

Gonna try your conversion today.

Best wishes, Babette

beykock

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2019, 08:14:10 AM »
Hi Joe H :

I just tried ( T5 ) your converted Korg style : Xasapiko GE v3.

Intro 1,2 = very good
Intro 3 = guitar out of tune.
Variations 1,2,3,4 = very good
Endings 1,2,3 = very good.

Thanks, Joe for all your efforts and work. :)
Enjoy your Sunday.

Babette

Offline Henni

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2019, 08:47:58 AM »
Here's the style I converted back in 2014 on my PSR S910.  I had trouble with both the guitar parts and drums.  I substituted a Yamaha guitar part and the drum kits are different on the Korg arranger also.  I went through 7 iterations to get this final version.  Bill G gave me the instructions I posted on that other thread and this style to work with. Since I couldn't listen to the original style on the Korg, it's the best I could do.   It was a lot of work.

Joe H

Hi Joe H,

This is an untouched conversion direct from the latest version of EMC Styleworks. It takes a lot of effort out of the equation.

Kind regards,

Henni

...Fly Forever!

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, poinsot, juketsu, fikke, sabios, balcino

beykock

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2019, 09:23:34 AM »
Hi Henni :

Surprise. :)

Sound is different than Joe's conversion.

Thanks !

I am looking for only one Ballad - and one R&B converted PA4X style.
I do not know if it is possible for you to convert one of each and upload them here ?

Forgive my personal request, plse.
I really will understand if my request is impossible.  ;) 

Best wishes, Babette

« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 09:28:53 AM by beykock »

Offline Henni

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2019, 10:38:41 AM »
Here are some to try. Make no mistake - not all conversions are perfect or usable, but with EMC StyleWorks V4.998 the majority are either good or at least usable.

I am not one for micro editing styles down do midi level. I ONLY focus on batch conversions. Only on my commercial styles do I spend detailed attention on a one by one basis, but certainly not down to midi editing.

All the best,

Henni

...Fly Forever!

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, Dave Shively, poinsot, juketsu, fikke, ticktock, Aquilauno, wersianer, balcino

beykock

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2019, 10:43:26 AM »
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW !

MANY THANKS, HENNI !

YOU MADE MY DAY !!!!

Babette

beykock

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2019, 01:18:14 PM »
Thanks to Henni, I am having an impression of the PA4X styles.
THANK YOU SO MUCH HENNI !

My first personal impressions ?

I like the Yamaha styles much and much more than the Korg styles.
The Yamaha styles offer me a rich, deep and dynamic sound.
I am missing this feeling when I am listening to these converted PA4X styles.

Maybe I am completely wrong. Sorry !  ::)

Several members here own both flagships : a Genos ( or a Tyros ) and a PA4X.
They can make a correct comparison, not me.

Before jumping to any final conclusion, I am convinced these preset styles will sound a lot better when they are played on a PA4X keyboard.

And ... like Henni explained well : these conversions are not finished products yet.

Bye for now, Babette

Offline Joe H

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2019, 03:02:17 PM »
Hi Joe H,

This is an untouched conversion direct from the latest version of EMC Styleworks. It takes a lot of effort out of the equation.

Kind regards,

Henni

Styleworks uses the GM Voices. I did a quick remix of the style for the S970 and newer keyboards using newer Voices. Changed the Reverb Type and also turned on the DSP1 and tweaked all the channels.  I didn't change the OTS... maybe later.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 04:21:35 PM by Joe H »

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, Dave Shively, Dick Rector, wersianer, balcino

Offline Henni

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2019, 05:00:15 PM »
Fantastic!!! Joe H.

Please do same for other styles uploaded here so we can experience the full potential of those also. If anyone is willing to fully optimize the Pa4X styles like Joe H just did, I'll upload five more over here. As soon as all are fully optimized, I'll load the next five & so on. Don't be overly concerned if intro 2 & ending 2 plays in a minor scale - I'm sure this can be fixed but it is not the end of the world.

Hence I've paid in full for the conversion software (not cheap!) to convert those & you've paid the price of optimizing them. I have too much on my plate for the moment. Let's make the Pa4X styles a community effort, shall we?

Henni
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 05:53:51 PM by Henni »
...Fly Forever!

beykock

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2019, 06:13:14 PM »
Congratulations, Joe H ! :)

Henni is absolutely right.
You made a great PA4X style on your S970. It sounds great.

Babette

Offline Joe H

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2019, 06:37:06 PM »
Like Henni, I regret to say I am also too busy with a full plate.  I really don't have any personal interest in Korg or Roland styles.

My point in doing the remix was to show that back in 2014, I didn't know how the original style sounded, because it used Korg Voices. Bill G also sent me 2 MP3 featuring just the Korg guitar parts... they sound very different from my version which uses Yamaha guitar parts.

These days I have barely got time to play my keyboard, let alone work on a project like this.

Sorry,
Joe H