Author Topic: How to import .cpf  (Read 115650 times)

Mendel

How to import .cpf
« on: August 27, 2019, 08:07:30 PM »
Hello,

I recived a .cpf from a friend of mine, i have my own expansion pack and im trying to import the .cpf to my own pack,
is that possible?

thank you
mendel

Offline Joe H

Re: How to import .cpf
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 08:25:38 PM »
No.  When your friend bought the .cpf file it was registered to his keyboard ONLY. It will NOT work with any other keyboard.  It is copy protected.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Mendel

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 08:35:51 PM »
Hi Joe,

i understand, but i want to add some content to the pack or as an alternative; import the pack (.cpf) into my other pack that is targeted for the keyboard that the .cpf is configured to.

What i gain from this is that i on my keyboard i can use 1. my own content 2. the content that the new expansion pack contained simultaneously.

So, what is the solution?

mendel
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 08:41:55 PM by Mendel »

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 08:47:41 PM »
Hi Mendel,

a .cpf file is a encrypted (copy protected) Pack Project file. In principle, this is a .ppf file that was subsequently encrypted.

There are two different types of .cpf files: The first type works only with ONE particular keyboard (only with this particular Instrument ID). The second type of .cpf (to my knowledge it can be generated only directly by Yamaha) works on ALL keyboard of a certain SERIES (e. g. ANY GENOS but NOT on a PSR-S model).

You can TRY to import that .cpf to YEM. But even this should work, it can happen that the YEM reports: "This content cannot be installed on the selected Instrument". (This is the case, for example, when I try to use a .cpf Pack that was programmed for the SX900 series fpr the Genos: Those Packs can be imported to YEM, if you have a SX900 "Install Target" in YEM, but can NOT used for a models other than SX900.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 09:44:14 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Mendel

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 08:56:17 PM »
Hi overover,

I understand that there is no way to import my .cpf into my .ppf, is it possible maybe i can just make my pack to a .cpf and then try (according to logic all should go good)  but then there is a "lock symbol" on the .cpf file i just made, in short dose that mean im trapped and the pack i got will have to be independent and when i want to use it on my keyboard and i have installed my first pack i will have to unload my pack and only then after install the new pack (the .cpf)? if thats how it is then how do ppl manage buying packs on musicsoft etc., that means that when they perform they cannot accses a voice from expansion pack 1 and play with a style containing a voice from expansion pack 2 bc there is no way of merging the 2 bc its .cpf?

Thank you overover for your prompt reply,
mendel

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 09:29:40 PM »
Hi Joe,

i understand, but i want to add some content to the pack or as an alternative; import the pack (.cpf) into my other pack that is targeted for the keyboard that the .cpf is configured to.

What i gain from this is that i on my keyboard i can use 1. my own content 2. the content that the new expansion pack contained simultaneously.

So, what is the solution? ...

Hi Mendel,

you can have (in theory) a maximum of 128 Packs. With normal, unprotected Packs (imported .ppf Packs or self-created Packs) you can do "almost everything" (adding other content, exporting certain content as a NEW .ppf Pack and so on). But a .cpf Pack you have to use "as is". You can NOT make any edits or copy certain content of a .cpf Pack to another Pack.

Of course, you do not need to install the complete PACK, always. You can, also with .cpf packs, select only a certain content to install it on the keyboard, if required.

If a friend of you made that .cpf Pack ITSELF, you could ask him to send you the original .ppf version of the Pack. Then you can do "everything" with this Pack. :)

As mentioned above, you can have installed MANY Packs at the same time. You can install each Pack either completely OR you can select only certain parts of it for installation. So, it is not necessary to copy content of several .cpf Packs into one any other Pack. Simply click on your "Install Target" (Genos) in YEM, then click on each Pack you want to install and make sure each Pack has a "light green" checkmark. Now click "Save as Pack Install File" to make your original .ppi/.cpi Pack Install file on the connected USB stick OR click "Send to Instrument" button, if Genos is connected via Wi-Fi to the PC/YEM.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 12:10:18 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Mendel

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 09:38:38 PM »
Hey overover,

Oh i see, when i would install a new pack it would tell me somthing like "delete current installed pack?" and i would always think that, that means to say
that to be able to install the new pack you need to delete the new pack, from you you were saying i learned that even if i press "no" it will proceed with the
installation just it will appear on a different folder, i dont have my keyboard with me now, can you confirm that?

thank you,
mendel

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 09:56:55 PM »
Hi Mendel,

when you connect a USB stick and start "Pack Installation" on the Genos, this ALWAYS deletes all previous installed Expansion content.

You have to COMBINE your Packs in YEM first (as mentioned in my previous posting), then make a NEW original Pack Install file and then install "all together" on the Genos.

Note: If you use the Wi-Fi connection, Packs you added newly to YEM will be installed WITHOUT deleting the previous installed content from the Genos (in most cases). But you have ALWAYS to mark ALL Packs/Contents in YEM you want to install. Then make your new "Pack Installation" file OR send to instrument via Wi-Fi.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 09:59:04 PM by overover »

Mendel

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 11:33:52 PM »
Thank you very much he is for the clarification, you saved my day :) !!