Author Topic: Recording 'articulation' buttons with Ensemble into DAW.  (Read 3351 times)

Offline markstyles

Recording 'articulation' buttons with Ensemble into DAW.
« on: August 25, 2019, 10:43:08 PM »
I have been playing with the 'Ensemble' feature. WOW, it is a whole very powerful subsection of Genos. Using this feature sounds like you've taken 2 years of 'voice leading' courses in creating harmony.

I always use Genos with Logic Pro, recording all parts into DAW, then mixing down from there.

If playing just a regular Art 2 voice, the 'articulation buttons' (the Blue I II III buttons) above the lowest notes on Genos KBD.  work, they are recorded as CC event 80, 81, with a value of 127 and 0  (to turn on/off effect). When your DAW is playing back the track, these will duplicate your pressing those buttons.

In ensemble mode however, a DAW cannot duplicate what you play live, (at least I haven't figured out how yet).   In Ensemble mode, the 4 voices are assigned to Right 1, Left, Right 2, Right 3.  So your Daw will record what you play (provided you have set those voices to TRANSMIT MIDI)
When playing back from your DAW, you have to set Genos up to receive SONG MIDI channels to Right 1, Left, Right 2, Right 3 voices instead of normal SONG.   When you do this you select the Ensemble you used (for me Flute and Strings).  So the the KBD already has the right instruments assigned and any effects, that are on the Ensemble.

The Articulation notes CC 80, 81 are only recorded on Channel 2 - which is normally your left hand. So it will duplicate the sound of when you play it LIVE. (the glides, glosses, falls) which really add to the realness of Genos instruments.

Has anyone looked into this aspect of using Genos?.  I thought I'd ask here  before calling Yamaha. I couldn't find any info in manuals.

Also Logic records events that are labelled 'C-Pre' they have a MIDI channel and a number value.  I'm guessing these are somewhat like Sysex.  (which is too complicated for me to figure out).  Sysex events are transmitted out of Genos (if feature turned on in MIDI pages). These will actually duplicate your performance, like you are changing MAINS parts, effects, etc.

Can't find any mention of it it Logic manuals. These CC events are listed as 80 - Decay, 81 - Frequency, 82- General #7, 83 - General #8.  I suspect - that Genos sends out a 'sysex greeting' which, which lets Logic know you are addressing a specific instrument, and the CC events can be used of another purpose in that situation..

There is a PC program, which lets you create Sysex commands, for your DAW to control internal features of Genos, like calling up, assigning DSP's to specific channels and effects. But that is way to 'deep' for me. 

Anyone have any insight into any of this?   Thanks.