Author Topic: Normalizing Volume Levels of Mp3s Recorded on Genos  (Read 15563 times)

Reg

Normalizing Volume Levels of Mp3s Recorded on Genos
« on: August 24, 2019, 11:59:52 PM »
     I created some mp3 files on my Genos and want to normalize the volumes so
they are the same level.  I used a program called Mp3 Gain and was able to level
sound without a problem except  I was unable to save  completed mp3s to a folder.
One of Mp3Gain's features is, there is no loss of sound quality when the change is made.   I was able to play the audio when changed and it sounded great.  Just wondering if someone on this forum uses this product. I want to put the mp3s on a CD.   Thank you.  Reg

Offline RoyceM

Re: Normalizing Volume Levels of Mp3s Recorded on Genos
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 01:53:58 AM »
Hi Reg,

I have an OLD purchased program that I use for putting mp3 files on CD, and it contains a option for normalizing so that all the songs will play at about the same in volume.

I don't know if there are any free programs that will do that. Might be worth investigating.

- Royce
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

Offline RoyceM

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 02:07:19 AM »
I found a newer and free copy of the software I use: Nero.

https://softfamous.com/nero-free/

I don't know if it will do what you want, I suspect it will.

- Royce
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 02:33:07 AM »
Hi reg --

Thanks for mentioning mp3gain. I'll have to give it a try as soon as I have a working PC again.

Mp3gain looks interesting. It claims to do statistical analysis to determine how loud the audio should sound to the human ear -- not just audio peak normalization. It adjusts the volume scale factor in each MP3 frame, so I'm wondering if it will be able to virtually "ride the fader" during playback.

Interesting -- pj

Pino

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 03:07:43 AM »
The key word here is ‘auto-leveller’

Auto Levelling will analyse your completed recording and automatically adjust volume levels to try and keep them smooth and even. Quieter sections will be turned up, louder sections will be turned down, and “clipping” will be avoided — it’s like a smart compressor, normaliser and peak limiter all in one.

There are a few programs around that can do this, I’m using ‘Ferrite’ for iPad, it’s an excellent app and easy to use.

https://www.wooji-juice.com/products/ferrite/

Pino

Offline reya

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 07:34:06 AM »
     I created some mp3 files on my Genos and want to normalize the volumes so
they are the same level.  I used a program called Mp3 Gain and was able to level
sound without a problem except  I was unable to save  completed mp3s to a folder.
One of Mp3Gain's features is, there is no loss of sound quality when the change is made.   I was able to play the audio when changed and it sounded great.  Just wondering if someone on this forum uses this product. I want to put the mp3s on a CD.   Thank you.  Reg

I have used MP3gain years ago ....
I also remember the fact that changing volume does not have any effect on sound quality. The reason beeing, that the actual sound information in the file is not changed at all. As I remember reading at the time, mp3 files are made up of short segments, each segment having a number, indication a base volume level for that segment to be played at. All Mp3gain does is changing that volume number in all of the segments to achieve the desired result.

About not being to save the completed mp3s, the changes are automatically applied to the original file (without change of timestamp).
If you like, you can test this by reducing the volume of a loud piece to its minimum, and then playing it back from the folder.

Hope that helps
Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 10:36:46 AM »
HelloReg,

I use Audacity (Free) it allows to manage the levels MP3, Wav, etc,.
This is the Swiss army knife of Audio, it is multitrack and allows to edit audio, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Téléchargeable à l'adresse :  https://www.audacityteam.org/download/

Best Regards

Jean-Pierre 33

Reg

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 02:10:27 PM »
  Thank you all for the helpful relpies.  I'm looking forward to following up on your suggestions.  Regards, Reg

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 04:17:36 PM »
Hi

Why mess with Mp3 . they are so yesterday.
Stick to wave files.
Better for your lug holes. :P

If you must have mp3 go for
FORMAT FACTORY .It is free  and just scan the download with an anti- virus program as sometimes free programs carry viruses.
When loading up Format Factory make sure you untick all the extras as they are adware rubbish.
You can do all sound files including flac and also you can convert movie files from downloads if you have a great VPN.
You can also put sound files in Cubase or any Daw and nomalize and output to whatever output file you want
Audacity also converts normalizes etc and that is a great free program
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 04:26:23 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

henrycar

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 06:10:49 PM »
Can Audacity do more that one MP3 song at the time?

willem7397

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 06:52:25 PM »
I don't think Audacity can normalize multiple audio files at once.
It can handle multiple tracks like a daw and mix down to a final mix.
You will find the normalize function under effects. After applying the effect export the audio to wav or mp3 format.
I use it all the time for making basic adjustments to Genos recordings (wav files) like normalize and other effects and than if needed convert to mp3 to reduce the file size.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 07:23:16 PM »
I also use Audacity for these functions all the time. Great program!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Reg

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 01:58:54 PM »
 Thank you for the additional posts .  Reg

Offline RoyB

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 02:30:38 PM »
I've used MP3Gain for years and it is a great little utility that does what is says on the tin.

As Rudy said, it applies the changes automatically to the original files as soon as you click on 'Track Gain'. It warns you if you apply too much gain that causes clipping, and it can do 3 types of normalisation. As others have said, it causes no loss in sound quality and all changes as reversible with no degradation in quality. If you want the modified files to be saved in a separate folder, you will need to copy the original mp3 files first to that folder and then apply MP3Gain.

I think MP3Gain is a very useful little program that does what it is intended to do very well and very quickly. Why use more complicated and bloated progams when a small dedicated utility like this can do the job simply and quickly?

Regards

Roy
Roy

Tyros 5-76; Roland FA08; Yammex V3; Behringer Q502USB; Arturia BeatStep; Alesis Elevate 3 MkIII;  Yamaha YST-FSW050; Sony MDR 7510; MultiTrackStudio Pro + AAMS.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQu3I6XidcZWOmsl_FM49_Q/videos

Reg

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 06:09:30 PM »
 Thank you Roy. Just the information  I needed as Rudy has also  suggested.
 Regards,  Reg