Author Topic: Jam session with SX900 and Chord Looper  (Read 35931 times)

Offline ton37

Jam session with SX900 and Chord Looper
« on: August 23, 2019, 06:57:56 PM »
For your info:
Sander Tournier does a jamsession and uses the new feature on the SX900: Chord Looper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEGF438RgLg
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 07:52:28 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline EileenL

Re: Jam session with SX900 and Chord Looper
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 01:17:41 PM »
Thank you Ton,
  Very interesting.

Offline ton37

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 03:13:45 PM »
You're welcome EileenL! Looking at the use of the Chord Looper, as Sander T. does here, it demonstrates that it is a great feature for the keyboardist. For me I had allways the feeling that I miss a 3rd. hand. So with using the Chord Looper one can now handle the knobs and buttons with a free left hand, while the songrythm playes on. Yes indeed, very interesting!
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline valimaties

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 01:08:05 PM »
It is indeed the 3rd hand :D
And the possibility of saving 8 chord sequences, it is greatest thing ;)

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline ton37

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 01:29:18 PM »
I don't know what the meaning is of '8 chord sequences' is. I have to examen that or maybe one knows and is willing to explain this? T.i.a.
My best regards,
Ton

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 01:59:19 PM »
An eight chord sequence means the Eight chords are played in that section. Most songs you can get by with only four that repeat through the song but a bridge in the song may require more so you can set this up ready and use when you need it. It is a very useful feature to have.

The following users thanked this post: ton37, mhack

Offline ton37

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 02:09:54 PM »
I sincerely appreciate your help, EileenL.
Forgive my ignorance: do I make a right conclusion that it has nothing to do with ' max. 8 Beats or Measures' but with the maximum CHORDS one can use in a loop is 8?

Edit: when I try to study the the Yamaha Demo I can see 4 'Loops' (Like verse 1 or bridge 2 ) but I cannot see how many beats/bars one can use each? Maybe it is too early to ask and I have to be patient ;-))
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 02:35:44 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 02:37:27 PM »
I suspect that Vali is actually referring to the fact that chord sequence data is memorised in 8 memory slots in the keyboard's chord looper, and all of these 8 memories can be saved together in a 'Chord Looper Bank' file (file extension '.clb').

You can name Chord Looper Banks, and it looks as if you can have as many different banks as you like, each containing up to 8 sequences.

It also appears that you can even save individual sequence memories as individual files (extension '.cld') making managing chord looper banks more flexible than say Multi Pad or Registration banks.

See the section 'Saving and Calling up Your Custom Chord Sequences (Chord Looper)  (PSR-SX900)' starting on page 15 of the 'PSR-SX900 Reference Manual' for details.

Regards

Ian

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, ton37, mhack

Offline ton37

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 02:58:08 PM »
Thanks @Ian for your very clear explanation. Now I got it! I have overlooked the 'Reference Guide' of the SX900. I'v download it and read it.  Now I understand the power (and creative possibilities?) of this feature I'm more very happy that Yamaha have put it in the SX.  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

beykock

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 03:48:25 PM »
Wonder if the " Chord Looper " will be added in the next Genos update ? I do not know if it is possible. Maybe not.

Would be a great extra tool for this high end kb, I guess.
Wishful thinking ? 😰

Babette
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 03:49:48 PM by beykock »

Offline Wim

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 04:38:51 PM »
If the chord looper is what the video shows almost at the end. Than I think for pro's it is not that wonder thing. If you  play a song almost at every gig and do improvisations like every time, than you could make in the style creator a loop like this and save it in a main. tOr make a pad sequece. In the old Technics KN7000 you could build a sequence like this. Mayby for players who always do (not planned) improvisations the chord looper is an ideal function. So don't respons to me with  not nice comments that I don't understand well the chord looper But instead explain me to understand the real purpose of it. So I can better inderstand the principe and necassary of the chord looper.

Offline Wim

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 04:48:34 PM »
If the chord looper is what the video shows almost at the end. Than I think for pro's it is not that wonder thing. If you  play a song almost at every gig and do improvisations like every time, than you could make in the style creator a loop like this and save it in a main. tOr make a pad sequece. In the old Technics KN7000 you could build a sequence like this. Mayby for players who always do (not planned) improvisations the chord looper is an ideal function. So don't respons to me with  not nice comments that I don't understand well the chord looper But instead explain me to understand the real purpose of it. So I can better inderstand the principe and necassary of the chord looper.

Offline ton37

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 05:02:20 PM »
Hi Wim, in my opinion a practical application would be if you need a 'third' hand in a certain composition. I used the example: a quick succession of chord changes, combined with an intensive use of, for example, the joystick and a quick solo part. Or a counterplay in a piano part. One can use in that case the total keyboard, as shown in the vid. You can do this in a composition / song life or through a recorded chord loop. I think it's a combination of creativity and skill. This feature makes it a bit more flexible for the keyboard player. Note: it is only a feature that a keyboard player CAN use. If you don't like it, just leave it unused. But that applies to many features that the current generation of keyboard arrangers offer.
I hope that when the SX900 is in more hands, we will see various examples when and how it can be enjoyable used  ;)
And for the record: I'm a hobbyist, not a pro  ;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 05:07:00 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline pjd

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 06:35:38 PM »
Finally geting into a house, here, and I hope to get my stuff out of storage in a week or two.

Once I'm up and running, I would be very interested to reverse engineer the CLB format, especially if the chord looper is included in the next Genos update.

All the best -- pj

P.S. Nice playing by Sander!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 06:44:20 PM by pjd »

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2019, 03:24:04 AM »
I suspect that Vali is actually referring to the fact that chord sequence data is memorised in 8 memory slots in the keyboard's chord looper, and all of these 8 memories can be saved together in a 'Chord Looper Bank' file (file extension '.clb').

You can name Chord Looper Banks, and it looks as if you can have as many different banks as you like, each containing up to 8 sequences.

It also appears that you can even save individual sequence memories as individual files (extension '.cld') making managing chord looper banks more flexible than say Multi Pad or Registration banks.

See the section 'Saving and Calling up Your Custom Chord Sequences (Chord Looper)  (PSR-SX900)' starting on page 15 of the 'PSR-SX900 Reference Manual' for details.

Regards

Ian

Sounds like a great new function Far more sophisticated than on the korg. Can’t wait to try it.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline valimaties

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2019, 12:47:30 PM »
Thanks Ian for "translate" my stupidity  ;D ;D ;D Yes, it was about those 8 memory slots ;)

Regards,
Vali
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 12:53:20 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline mikf

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2019, 02:27:38 PM »
Wim - the chord looper is much a simpler and convenient way to do what you say you could already do other ways. I could take my laundry to the nearest river, but like most people I throw it in my automatic washing machine.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2019, 10:26:18 PM »
Wim, is simple.
Think about to a solo part using a distortion guitar. You must use bender to make it more real. In most cases, you must use bender in the same time with changing chords, so what you do first?! You must change chord , but in the same time, if you use the bender lately, it does not sound anymore real and professional. So, in this case, for that solo, you will record a chord loop data and you will starts playing it when the solo must begin. In this way you can make the solo with right hand and you can enjoy the left hand on the bender, singing like Eric Clapton :)

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Pino

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2019, 12:42:56 AM »
The looper has been around for a very long time, I don't know any of my musician friends would use it in a live gig situation, it’s something that is there but very rarely used, I don’t think many members here would be up to that level that they need a looper for improvisation.

The bender/glide works very good when assigned to the foot pedal, then no need a looper for this reason, depends what your doing and what your used to.
Pino

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 01:05:17 AM by Pino »

Offline mikf

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2019, 12:48:47 AM »
Pino - I think a piano player who wants to play two handed improvisation might make use of the looper,
Mike

Pino

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2019, 01:00:30 AM »
Hi Mike, yes I agree with you but most of the real piano players would have a piano under the arranger keyboard, takes very little space with just the keys showing,

Offline mikf

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2019, 01:15:24 AM »
That makes no difference. If you want the accompaniment to play separately while you play two handed improv you still need the looper.

Pino

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2019, 04:15:44 AM »
Yes, I figured that out as soon as I posted it but doesn’t that full keyboard mode pick up on chords, I’ve never tried it as I don’t do much piano work, some piano is ok but some play all night and it gets boring when there is so much more on the keyboards.
The chord looper is a good addition to a mid range keyboard, it’s there if you need it.

Apart from the small print size on the screen this sx900 is a good little keyboard.

Pino

Offline valimaties

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2019, 01:12:03 PM »
Hmmm.. If a function on a keyboard does not seems to fit your needs, that does not mean it does not help others ;) I bet there are a LOT of users which will use it. We are a lot of musicians and different type of playing keyboards, different genres, some of them (genres) does not need Chord Looper, but for some of them CL it will be a gold medal, "the second player with one hand" :D

We need improvements, we need new functions, we need extra content. All of these new functions have been added after studies, users feedback. I don't think Yamaha come with these functions from its own engineers brains. They have analyse users feedback, keyboard testers feedback, and added or improved functions in OS.

Let's ONLY thanks (a BIG thank) to Yamaha for giving us those updates for free.

Thanks Yamaha!

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2019, 07:20:00 PM »
Hmmm.. If a function on a keyboard does not seems to fit your needs, that does not mean it does not help others ;) I bet there are a LOT of users which will use it. We are a lot of musicians and different type of playing keyboards, different genres, some of them (genres) does not need Chord Looper, but for some of them CL it will be a gold medal, "the second player with one hand" :D

Hi,
Haven’t gotten round to using it yet, but I intend to. Had the functio on my Pa4x, except it only recorded one loop, so the 8 sounds  very interesting. On my Pa4x I used it for practice.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022