Author Topic: Stereo vs mono output  (Read 7234 times)

kmspecialties

Stereo vs mono output
« on: August 22, 2019, 03:18:15 PM »
Will I loose any fidelity go mono out to stereo pa system

Offline andyg

Re: Stereo vs mono output
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 05:37:23 PM »
You'll lose the depth and space that stereo gives, of course, and the overall sound will be much less realistic.

Any DSP effects that use stereo effectively, will be less effective. Sorry, that's a triple pun, but I can't think of other words right now. I haven't closely examined the rotary DSP effects, but if they use side to side panning to help recreate the Leslie speaker sound in stereo, they'll usually sound hideous in mono, with the tremolo being at double speed with a non-tremolo sound in the centre. Same thing would apply to chorus and stereo delays.

So if you have a stereo amp, don't feed it with a mono signal from the keyboard. If you have a mono amp, then you have to feed from the mono output and accept the drop in quality.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

kmspecialties

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 07:10:19 PM »
Thank you not what I wanted to hear but that’s what I expected

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 06:33:05 AM »
When I play at home, sitting in front of the stereo monitors or using a headphone, the difference is very audible. But 9 out of 10 times, I'll play or gig with a mono PA or mono keyboard amp. Depending on the venue and accoustic properties, there is no significant difference between stereo and mono. Especially when you're just one part in a larger band, the position of the band members and their (mono) amps creates the stereo depth for the audience.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)