Author Topic: Rotary SP / Assignable  (Read 7193 times)

Offline Colin D

Rotary SP / Assignable
« on: August 20, 2019, 08:07:47 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I cannot seem to find a method of capturing the rotary effect that the Joystick does when moved vertically.  It don't seem to save in the registrations.  I find the organ sounds really poor for such an expensive keyboard.

I really love the Genos, but having been in the Organ and keyboard market for the past 40 years I'm surprised they cannot do better.  I remember buying and using the Technics range of products.  Each one had new real instruments.  Better Strings etc.  But in reality, they did not change too much and improve over the first PCM versions.  And Organ sounds are not rocket science,  is there a really good way to make good organ sounds.  Mine all seem to sound the same?

And I guess Yamaha will release the Genos 2, with all the same rhythms etc and little else new as they did with the Tyros Range. I pondered for months about the  decision to upgrade from a Tyros 5.  The Genos is better, but not really thousands of pounds better. 

Can anyone help here with my two questions please?

Regards

Colin
Previous, Technics E44, E66, U90, G7, GX7 G100, Tyros 2, Tyros 5, now Genos,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNozAL1Whf-t4TJY5wPK57Q

Offline MINKYCATS

Re: Rotary SP / Assignable
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 11:02:33 AM »
Hi Colin,

I’ve never tried to assign the Rotary effect to the joystick and wouldn’t have thought it possible.

It is possible, however, to assign the Rotary effect to the button on the LHS side of the Genos labelled “ROTARY SP/ASSIGNABLE”. This will then allow you to change the setting from Fast to Slow  and vice versa. When you have set this a pop up window appears when you press the button to show whether you have selected Slow or Fast by pressing that button. Also that button lights up on the fast setting and is not lit when you select the slow setting

Make sure you have updated to 1.41 as the pop up window didn’t show up on v1.3 but the button lighting up for the Fast settings did work.

As I am no expert I cannot help or explain further but I’m sure someone will be along shortly to explain further. Hope this is a starting point.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
Yamaha AR100 organ:  Genos
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 11:03:02 AM »
Some organ sounds are assigned to the Rotary Button and another way to do this is to set the rotary speed to a foot pedal and then save to registration. This works very well. All rotary effects are editable to your own liking. Try using the drawbars to give you different sounds. Mine certainly do not all sound the same.

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 11:09:52 AM »
Thanks Eileen for giving Colin that additional information.

I can certainly change the organ sounds with the drawbars as Eileen has explained.

You can certainly find the instructions for changing the drawbar settings in the Operating manual, also how to assign the Slow/Fast setting to the Assignable button is in the manual.

I cannot think how you could assign the Rotary setting to the Joystick though as you seem to want to do.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 11:21:00 AM by MINKYCATS »
Yamaha AR100 organ:  Genos
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 11:19:20 AM »
I think what you are hearing when moving Joy stick is Vibrato which is totally different to rotary.