Author Topic: Should I be using a pedal for super articulation voices?  (Read 1819 times)

Offline markchapman1976

Should I be using a pedal for super articulation voices?
« on: August 20, 2019, 12:37:06 AM »
Hi coming across a few videos here and there on the internet people have talked about using a foot pedal to "trigger" the super articulated effects of the SA voices. I do not use a pedal to "trigger" sa voice effects. I use only one pedal which is for sustain. So my question is am I doing it correctly? Can I get get all the intended nuances of SA voices by just using my fingers? Or does the use of a pedal do something magical that I've been missing out on? Thanks
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 12:56:34 AM by markchapman1976 »

Offline Del B

Re: Should I be using a pedal for super articulation voices?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 05:33:44 AM »
Hi Mark
People use pedals for many different reasons, I have 3 pedals 1 for expression (volume control) and two others that I assign to do different things depending on the music I am playing.
You may want to use the pedal for super articulation, fills, selecting voices, intros, outros, variations, the reasoning behind it is so you keep your fingers on the keys so to help you can keep in time.

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 11:50:58 AM »
Same as Del B here.

The Tyros and Genoshave dedicated ART 1 & 2 buttons, so that can help, sometimes. I mostly use S.Art by playing. E.g. you can do a glissando between two notes with a sax, by holding the first note just long enough until you press the second note. And you have to press the second extra hard. Much of this is explained in the Info screen for all S.A. voices.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

Offline markchapman1976

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 12:44:25 PM »
But does the pedal trigger the effects of super articulation that cannot be done otherwise?

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 01:31:01 PM »
But does the pedal trigger the effects of super articulation that cannot be done otherwise?

Hi Mark,

you can only assign the function of ONE of the three "ART." buttons to a particular foot pedal. This pedal (foot switch) then is working exactly like the relevant "ART." button. So you can NOT do more with the pedal than with the corresponding button, but you have your hands free.

Best regards,
Chris

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 06:42:36 PM »
Correct. Stuff under the buttons (or pedals) are more like "SA effects", especially with guitars. Stuff like fret noise, wood tapping etcetera. With woodwinds it triggers a fixed tremolo or glisando. But by playing correctly, you can you can trigger the more "expression"-like SA's, like real glissando's. Or with a sax you can do an octave glide from tone 1 to tone 2.
 I hardly use the buttons/pedals for SA, but I use the playing style to trigger SA quite often, especially with guitars and woodwinds. Combined with aftertouch, you can play these voices so realistic that you can hardly hear a difference with the real instrument.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 06:45:40 PM by Robert van Weersch »
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)