Author Topic: I wonder if Tyros 4, Tyros 5 and S975 owners will upgrade for the SX900  (Read 128776 times)

Offline Toril S

Re: I wonder if Tyros 4, Tyros 5 and S975 owners will upgrade for the SX900
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2019, 11:31:27 AM »
Too bad!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline ton37

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2019, 12:04:24 PM »
Hi Ton :

Congratulations with the sales of your S975.
It looks to be a great deal.WOW !😉

I am looking forward to reading your comments after receipt of your new SX900.

Probably you will be one of the first SX900 owners, I guess.

Good luck, Babette
Mmm.. I don't think so, Babette, because I return from caravanning throught Europe on november 1st. Dealer-info here in Holland says that the SXx00 are on 18/19 september in the shop?? So I guess that there are (many) buyers before me  ;). But I will follow with great interest these posts  ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 12:06:29 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2019, 12:32:32 PM »
I hope to get one the moment it's released, it's on order so hopefully I will hear something when they set a release date.

This will be going along with my T4 & S975. I think I will keep the S975 because I think there will be enough differences to warrant keeping both.

beykock

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2019, 12:57:58 PM »
Hi :

Ordering, buying a new arranger always gives me an emotional kick. Almost like buying a new car.  :)

It makes me dream, I feel happy and great to become a proud owner of the latest technology ... I can hardly wait.

Just after receipt I am so excited.
Many days and hours I am installing, listening to the newest sounds and testing the new gadgets.

After 3-4 weeks I am used to it and the thrill is gone ... ;)

Babette

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 02:00:03 PM by beykock »

Offline Enildo

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2019, 02:06:05 PM »
Hi :

Ordering, buying a new arranger always gives me an emotional kick. Almost like buying a new car.  :)

It makes me dream, I feel happy and great to become a proud owner of the latest technology ... I can hardly wait.

Just after receipt I am so excited.
Many days and hours I am installing, listening to the newest sounds and testing the new gadgets.

Babette

That's how I feel, too, Babette, on a new honeymoon, for about 90 days. kkkkk

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2019, 02:39:44 PM »
I totally get the same initial feelings as you both do when I get a new keyboard I get very excited and can't wait.

However I still love my T4 like I did the first day I took it out of the box and still feels fresh to me. I've been happy to experiment with the mid range from the S950 and then changing for each one up with the knowledge that I still have the T4 so that I wouldn't ever miss anything. The SX900 will be a very interesting addition though.

beykock

« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2019, 03:27:47 PM »
Hi Guys :

Glad and funny to hear some other members are sharing my experiences. 😸

Everybody must follow his own heart and personal wish list.
Why not ... if it brings joy and pleasure.🙈

The reason why I have decided not to follow the latest trends is rather simple. It is not a financial issue.

I found out there are so many secrets hidden in my present arranger I do not know yet and never knew they existed or even were possible.

I am learning every day new challenges and new tricks thanks to other members of this forum and my own curiosity.

This learning process made me " love " my arranger and I am not ashamed to say it would hurt to leave it behind.

It might sound silly but :
it feels like my arranger is a real music instrument to me.

Best wishes, Babette

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 03:55:28 PM by beykock »

Offline Telmo

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2019, 04:33:10 PM »
Hello Telmo,

It seems that the "Tecla Center" removed the price of the pre-announcement and the Mercado Livre dealer raised the price from $ 10990 to $ 13990.
Joy of poor lasts a little! ;D ;D ;D

Enildo
Unfortunately, that's true.
Yamaha PSR-SX-900, JBL EON ONE Linear-Array PA System.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Telmo3190
"We are Old Too quick... and Wise too late."

Offline ton37

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2019, 04:59:33 PM »
I partially agree with what @Babette writes. The 'thrill' stays when I play the keyboard and hear how great styles and voices sounds. Each time again when I study a new song. It is not about me because it is new or has the latest technology, but mainly I expect that it has a somewhat qualitatively better sound from the styles and voices. If there are also some new features that appeal to me, I am very satisfied (to name a few important features for me: Touchscreen, Chord-looper and Style-Reset, subwoofer and especially more RAM). I expect to hear that sound quality when I try out the SX900 and that will further increase my pleasure in playing the keyboard. Please note: all my former keyboards offered a lot of quality and diversity !! But because the Yamaha line was unknown to me, it was a journey of discovery to experience the ins and outs. That's why I kept changing keyboard.  Only for personal reasons do I choose the keyboard that suits me ... ;) ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 05:02:32 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

beykock

« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2019, 05:34:19 PM »
Hi Ton :

As I said before ( see my previous message ): one has to go for the arranger keyboard he/she really likes as long as this choice will bring the player fun, pleasure, satisfaction and joy.

It might be the newest, the most expensive, the lowest in price or a second hand keyboard.
The personal choice is important and needs to be respected, IMHO.
Some players are producing great music quality with low priced arrangers.

Babette

The following users thanked this post: Pigletboy

Offline ton37

« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2019, 08:16:37 AM »

Babette
That is right  Babette, but the above sentence trickered me and I want to philosofy about 'how long the enjoyment stays' with  a (new) keyboard  ;) Is it because it is new ... or because it sounds better every time. For me it is the improvement of the soundquality that seduces me to buy a new toy and that ' thrills ' me as long as I play the keyboard  ;)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 08:23:11 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

beykock

« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2019, 09:25:31 AM »
Hi :

There are other tools to improve the sound quality of a voice.  :)
One does not need to upgrade all the time to get a better voice sound, right ? ;)

See free pc programs made by our great programmers or/and DAWS.

Enjoy your weekend !

Babette

Offline EileenL

« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2019, 01:09:53 PM »
Not all of us use Daws and add on's. We produce out music by just sitting and playing, be it for ourselves or others. Great joy is bought by tweaking these lovely voices to sound even better and to our own taste. Also styles. The interest is held by being creative and playing and sharing our favorite songs.

Offline billtracy

« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2019, 02:48:53 PM »
The reason why I have decided not to follow the latest trends is rather simple. It is not a financial issue.

I found out there are so many secrets hidden in my present arranger I do not know yet and never knew they existed or even were possible.

So true!
Current: Korg PA900/JBL 308P/Focusrite Clarett 2Pre/Band in a Box/Reaper/EZdrummer 3. Previously Owned: Yamaha PSR-740/Yamaha PSR-1100/Yamaha PSR-S750.

beykock

« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2019, 03:20:58 PM »
You are absolutely right, Eileen.

Upgrading is absolutely not necessary to sit and play, to have fun, joy and/or sharing songs.

Babette

Offline reya

« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2019, 08:12:21 AM »
I currently have a S770, which I am likely to replace by a SX700.

Main reason is the fact that the new SX's apparently are using the same easy MIDI link feature between registration files and scores in sheet music apps that was introduced on Genos.
You simply load a registration file on the keyboard, load the corresponding music sheet in a compatible sheet music app, press a link button in the app. Done!
After that, loading the sheet, will load the registration file and also the other way around, loading the registration file will load the music sheet.
Simply Brilliant !!

Other reasons are the new keybed and the touchscreen.

All above reasons make that Genos and SX700 will operate much in the same way, which is my goal. And I will then have 2 keyboards that are very compatible in the way they operate and as good as do all I want them to do.

I am not a super great fan of the Genos/PSR voices though (a bit thin and cold to my liking), I prefer clavinova (or Ketron) sounds, but since I found (to my ears) little improvement in voice sounds between Tyros and Genos, I think probably they sound as Yamaha wants them to sound. And so I am not expecting massive changes in that area in the next upgrades to come.

Now as a big change in voice sounds would probably be the only real season left for me to upgrade after switching to the SX700, I am not expecting to upgrade ever again, and so will probably happily be using Genos 1 and SX700 for a long time.

Rudy

« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 08:14:43 AM by reya »
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

beykock

« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2019, 08:15:53 AM »
Good luck, Rudy !😁

Babette

Offline Telmo

« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2019, 10:15:29 AM »
I currently have a S770, which I am likely to replace by a SX700.

Main reason is the fact that the new SX's apparently are using the same easy MIDI link feature between registration files and scores in sheet music apps that was introduced on Genos.
You simply load a registration file on the keyboard, load the corresponding music sheet in a compatible sheet music app, press a link button in the app. Done!
After that, loading the sheet, will load the registration file and also the other way around, loading the registration file will load the music sheet.
Simply Brilliant !!

Other reasons are the new keybed and the touchscreen.

All above reasons make that Genos and SX700 will operate much in the same way, which is my goal. And I will then have 2 keyboards that are very compatible in the way they operate and as good as do all I want them to do.

I am not a super great fan of the Genos/PSR voices though (a bit thin and cold to my liking), I prefer clavinova (or Ketron) sounds, but since I found (to my ears) little improvement in voice sounds between Tyros and Genos, I think probably they sound as Yamaha wants them to sound. And so I am not expecting massive changes in that area in the next upgrades to come.

Now as a big change in voice sounds would probably be the only real season left for me to upgrade after switching to the SX700, I am not expecting to upgrade ever again, and so will probably happily be using Genos 1 and SX700 for a long time.

Rudy
Regarding compatibility between Genos and the newest SX series, I suppose you will be better off upgrading to the SX900 instead of the SX700 considering the number of Mega voices and Art voices  found in the SX900. The size, weight, the keybed  and visual look of these SX series are practically the same but what they have inside, justify, to me, upgrading to the SX900 if you wish to have the best sound and voices available in a portable keyboard, specially if you want to keep it for a "long time" like you pointed it out.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 10:18:12 AM by Telmo »

beykock

« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2019, 10:39:28 AM »
Hi Telmo :

I am not sure but I believe he owns a Genos.

Babette

Offline reya

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2019, 06:49:19 AM »
Regarding compatibility between Genos and the newest SX series, I suppose you will be better off upgrading to the SX900 instead of the SX700 considering the number of Mega voices and Art voices  found in the SX900. The size, weight, the keybed  and visual look of these SX series are practically the same but what they have inside, justify, to me, upgrading to the SX900 if you wish to have the best sound and voices available in a portable keyboard, specially if you want to keep it for a "long time" like you pointed it out.

I 100% agree with you Telmo, and if money were not an issue I would probably go for the SX900,.
But then if money were not an issue, I would probably also go for all new Genos models as well  8)  ;D
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2019, 03:35:14 PM »
Hi Musicians,

I always read here "I love my keyboard". Guys, I like my T5 as a musical instrument. But I can not love a keyboard or a car or whatever plastic or sheet metal part.
Anyway, I do not take my keyboard to bed. I've never even kissed my T5. And I will hug him only to transport.

Siggi

Offline ton37

« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2019, 03:42:03 PM »
Ohh.. @Siggi, consultate Dr. Phil , he can help you ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 03:44:27 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Toril S

« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2019, 04:53:43 PM »
I tuck my keyboards in every night, and give them a lovung pat on the panel. Hush! I hear them coming for me...😀😀😀 I ordered a cover for my T5 on the internet. All the way from Holland. Crazy? Not a bit! 😀😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Enildo

« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2019, 11:24:58 AM »
Hello everybody!

I noticed that the boot time by pushing the power button improved a lot on the sx900 compared to the s975.
On sx900 it takes about 18 seconds to boot, while on s975 it takes about 28 seconds.
For me a very significant difference!

Enildo

beykock

« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2019, 12:40:38 PM »
Hi Enildo :

I honestly believe the SX900 will become a very popular arranger keyboard just like the PSR3000 in the past.

Hopefully the price will not be an obstacle for many potential buyers like S790 and/or S975 owners.
Cross my fingers. 🍀

Best regards, Babette

Offline ton37

« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2019, 01:12:34 PM »
It is just a matter of supply and demand. If a lot of a certain model is traded in or the dealer expects a lot of a certain model to be traded in, then you will have to pay (a lot) extra for a new model. Sometimes it is better to sell your keyboard privately. Of course you can wait for some time until the price of the new model has dropped. That certainly pays off if you have nothing to trade in. If you want to trade in your current keyboard, then waiting doesn't make much sense, because the model to be exchanged will also be worth less. When you trade in, you have to focus on what you have to pay extra! Not what the new keyboard costs or what you get for your old keyboard. But with that I don't tell you anything you probably already know ... Happy trading and hunting…. Accordingly to some dealers it seems in Holland the huntingseason starts at  9-9-2019 !! ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2019, 02:21:32 PM »
Not all of us use Daws and add on's. We produce out music by just sitting and playing, be it for ourselves or others. Great joy is bought by tweaking these lovely voices to sound even better and to our own taste. Also styles. The interest is held by being creative and playing and sharing our favorite songs.

I agree, you can simply sit at your keyboard and create hundreds of custom styles without any extra software. Each week as I start to work on my next song style, the hard part is deciding what song will present a NEW challenge in creating it. 

As I go through the Yamaha styles listening to the styles looking for a particular pattern, I hear many times something I want to come back to that fits another song perfectly. There are so many treasures tucked away in the styles, you just have to take the time to build a new style around that particular riff or beat pattern.

My S950 is now 7 years old and the newness is still there as I find myself working and re-working on a new style in the wee hours of the night. It’s just like when the keyboard first arrived and I just couldn’t turn it off. I want to try just one more thing or tweak it just a little more.

The SX900 keyboard isn’t a “I wish my keyboard would die” so I could justify a new one. At this stage in the evolution of keyboards and the human ear, they all are unbelievable in what they sound like and produce.

Regards
Drake

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2019, 02:36:42 PM »

Simply Brilliant !!

Rudy,

It's not a "midi" link. It's a link without using a midi file.

Your current 770 can do the midi link (what you call "the other way around") -- where the registration, with the appropriate midi file, loads the PDF on your tablet.

Hope this helps,
Fred

Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Enildo

« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2019, 10:29:57 PM »
https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-1291624066-yamaha-psr-sx900-brevemente-aqui-na-brazilmusicstore-_JM
Concordo plenamente Onildo. Infelizmente no Brasil os preços de teclados é um absurdo. E olha que já tem loja postando o anúncio de venda no Mercado Livre do SX900, preçinho salgado de $18.000.

Hello Telmo!

how much did your sx900 cost and where did you buy it?

Enildo

Offline Telmo

« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2019, 11:04:39 PM »
Hello Telmo!

how much did your sx900 cost and where did you buy it?

Enildo

[attachment deleted by admin]

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline Enildo

« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2019, 11:44:20 PM »
Congratulations on your new baby Telmo!
Thanks for the info!

Enildo

blackpool

« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2019, 11:03:39 AM »
In the end Yamaha, like all other companies are going to 'upgrade' models naturally. How often have we bought the same car years down the line and there have been improvements in the same model range....it really is a natural transition, with advances in R&D They are hardly going to keep churning out old tech. if better and newer is available and of course it encourages people to up-grade.

As mentioned earlier in this thread and others, this is really a PSR working now in the way that Genos does. hardly a surprise they have merged the ranges 2 into the same OS.
The very same will occur with the 670 ....well past it's sell by, although it was a winner in it's day and is a cracking PSR
the new SX300/500 models due out next.

I think its a big step up and much better than my 970 was in so many ways and smaller than my Genos - so its just great for my needs!

Just cant wait for mine to come back from the service centre !!!

Keith 

rcpilot

« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2019, 10:06:36 PM »
Tyros 5 to SX900 IMHO is not an upgrade and was never meant to be...the Genos is.
The Genos is awsome!....I love its sounds...and features. But $$ is much more, so since I have not had kbd for years now...I might use SX900 to get back to playing and upgrade to Genos if that goes well.

I just went to store and tested SX900....I had previously checked out 970...to me the Keybed is MUCH nicer, cetainly quieter and feels very nice. No not as good as Genos (FXS) but I can live with it. The Piano sound (Concert Grand) was disappointing...Id there a way to get a better one? Did I hear say we cannot load external sounds? Do any expansion packs have a better Piano?
I must say the SX900 sounded very, very nice with most sounds....I do think a lot better than 970 that I tested. (They had both in the store)

Lee

« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2019, 11:51:32 PM »
Hi Lee,
I’m still learning stuff on mine.  Still got an awful lot to learn. Haha
Wondering if maybe the piano sound could be tweaked a bit more to your liking?

Interested myself in regards to pianos and if there’s options. The more the merrier for me as far as pianos go.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline ton37

« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2019, 07:56:14 AM »
Hi, on the picture of @Telmo, I have noticed that he has stickered some KNOBS above the keybed. It is indeed a pitty that Yamaha has numbered these knobs without any coloured figures, like white on black, as they have done with the assignable knobs.  :( I guess they had a lot of them in stock ;D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 08:03:15 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton