Author Topic: S775 - Compatible Sustain Pedal?  (Read 6227 times)

newbert

S775 - Compatible Sustain Pedal?
« on: August 17, 2019, 09:51:52 PM »
Just got my s775  today and have been running thru the manual and various functions this afternoon.  The manual specifies a number of optional Yamaha sustain pedals that work with the s775.  However, I already own a Roland pedal (that supports half-pedaling etc) and was wondering whether its OK to use it.  (I don't want to do any damage by using an incompatible pedal.)

Thanks!

Bert

Offline ikmusic

Re: S775 - Compatible Sustain Pedal?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 10:03:20 PM »
I don't want to do any damage by using an incompatible pedal

Nothing bad will happen.

The S775 has a polarity switch in the menu, so you'll adjust the Roland pedal.
Obecnie PSR-SX900 + Roland Ra95. Wcześniej były:
Yamaha: Tyros 5/4/3/2 S970 S770 S750 S710 S670 PSR1500 E413 W7v2 V50
Roland: BK9 BK7m BK5 G800 E35 E70 E50 U20 Ra90 JV50 Mc500
Korg: Pa4x Pa1000 01Wfd
Ketron: SD5

newbert

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 03:02:43 AM »
Nothing bad will happen.

The S775 has a polarity switch in the menu, so you'll adjust the Roland pedal.

Thanks - I tried it and the polarity did need switching.  The sustain worked - but only sort of.  Letting go of the pedal unfortunately did not end the sustain effect.

Perhaps I need to change another setting somewhere?  Or maybe I should just get Yamaha's pedal?

Thanks!

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 03:58:48 AM »
Hi newbert,

what is the exact TYPE of your Roland pedal?

To my knowledge, ROLAND Half Damper pedals have a different wiring than YAMAHA Half Damper pedals. But the wiring could be changed (internally), of course:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2581636/jefflearman#Post2581636

IF your Pedal has a little SWITCH on the bottom of the Pedal (as it is with the model "DP-10"), try to set it to "Switch" position (NOT to "Continuous").

Then connect the Pedal (always) to the switched off S775. Power on the keyboard now and check if the Pedal is working properly. If the pedal is working "reversed", you can change the Polarity. (To open the "Controller - Foot Pedal" display press "Direct Access" button and press/release the pedal.)

If it is NOT working correctly, I recommend to buy a Yamaha FC4A pedal (or compatible). FC4A and FC5 pedals are "momentary switches", with the electrical contact "normally closed". (Contact OPENS when you PRESS the pedal.)

You can also use a Yamaha FC3A (Half Damper pedal), but with the S775 the Half Damper feature will NOT work.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 04:11:46 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

newbert

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 04:23:06 AM »
Hi newbert,

what is the exact TYPE of your Roland pedal?

To my knowledge, ROLAND Half Damper pedals have a different wiring than YAMAHA Half Damper pedals. But the wiring could be changed (internally), of course:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2581636/jefflearman#Post2581636

IF your Pedal has a little SWITCH on the bottom of the Pedal (as it is with the model "DP-10"), try to set it to "Switch" position (NOT to "Continuous").

Then connect the Pedal (always) to the switched off S775. Power on the keyboard now and check if the Pedal is working properly. If the pedal is working "reversed", you can change the Polarity. (To open the "Controller - Foot Pedal" display press "Direct Access" button and press/release the pedal.)

If it is NOT working correctly, I recommend to buy a Yamaha FC4A pedal (or compatible). FC4A and FC5 pedals are "momentary switches", with the electrical contact "normally closed". (Contact OPENS when you PRESS the pedal.)

You can also use a Yamaha FC3A (Half Damper pedal), but with the S775 the Half Damper feature will NOT work.

Best regards,
Chris

Yes - the pedal is a Roland DP-10.  I'll give your suggestions a try in the morning and report back.....It's getting late for tonight.

Thanks!

Janus

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 06:04:57 AM »
The sustain pedal is a simple switch On and Off or Off and On
You can use every pedal
You need only the mono plug on the cable
You can switch the polarity in the keyboard menu
Or when you switch on the keyboard use the pedal once
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 06:10:58 AM by Janus »

newbert

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 02:25:15 PM »

Best regards,
Chris

That works!  Thanks!

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 02:37:14 PM »
That works!  Thanks!

Hi newbert,

I am glad that I could help you! :)

By the way: Please make sure to always connect the pedal BEFORE powering on the keyboard, and do not press the pedal during the boot process. (Otherwise the pedal could work "in reverse".)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Janus

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 02:47:43 PM »
Hi newbert,

I am glad that I could help you! :)

By the way: Please make sure to always connect the pedal BEFORE powering on the keyboard, and do not press the pedal during the boot process. (Otherwise the pedal could work "in reverse".)

Best regards,
Chris
Press the pedal when the polariteit is wrong it wil correct that
Only use it when the polariteit is wrong
Not all keyboards got the menu to do that
The pedal can also be broken
test it with a ohm meter
you can not broke your keyboard it is a simple on/of switch
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 03:20:58 PM by Janus »