Author Topic: PSR-S650 USB thumb drive file limits & folder 'nesting'  (Read 29555 times)

Goody2shoes

PSR-S650 USB thumb drive file limits & folder 'nesting'
« on: February 15, 2019, 10:15:29 AM »
Hi to all....I have just acquired a PSR-S650 but cannot find any documentation on how folders should be organised or 'nested' on a USB stick for the S650...nor indeed how many midi files can be placed into 'root' or 'sub folders'.  I have searched...and seen comments about a maximum of 70 folders with a maximum of 250 files per folder.  I have formatted the USB stick as fat32, and placed midi files into various configuration of folders on that stick....but the end result is always the same...only some of the files can be seen by the keyboard, and some folders appear to just be empty, Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I've only just joined this group so my best wishes to all

Offline travlin-easy

Re: PSR-S650 USB thumb drive file limits & folder 'nesting'
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 04:25:44 PM »
Those limits are regulated by the keyboard - not the thumb drive.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline panos

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 07:59:59 PM »
Hi my friend.
Yes don't have too many files on a folder.
The keyboard will display a message that cannot access the folder or something so you will know if there are too many(over 200).
Are these files all in midi format or maybe are wav or mp3 or style files?
You can check what kind of files they are using your PC in case you don't know.
Also sometimes there is a problem with different midi player programs(like the keyboard's midi player) when the extension of a midi song is .midi and not .mid or something like that.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 08:01:14 PM by panos »

Goody2shoes

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 08:02:13 AM »
Thanks for responding guys, much appreciated.  Firstly I do appreciate that 'what can be seen' on the thumb drive is governed by the O/S of the keyboard.....and its those very facts I'm trying to discover, so forgive my poorly worded question.  Perhaps I should have stated......"I have a 2GB USB thumb drive formatted fat32, and I am only placing .mid files within folders on the drive".  My question is does the O/S of the PSR-S650 only permit X number of 'root folders' ? and/or can the O/S only see a nested folder depth of ..say 3 levels ? or is nesting say to a depth of eg 7 levels perfectly acceptable?
My original question, that I tried to ask, was simply because in attempting to place .mid files onto a USB thumb drive I encountered the situation where the Keyboard could not see either all or only part of the files placed into a folder.  I tried restricting the number of files to 40 per folder and with just 6 folders the keyboard failed to read the contents......So does the O/S of the Yamaha PSR-S650 have file / folder limits? (that it can cope with) and if so can someone please state what they are?
Phew!!!

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 09:37:17 AM »
Thanks for responding guys, much appreciated.  Firstly I do appreciate that 'what can be seen' on the thumb drive is governed by the O/S of the keyboard.....and its those very facts I'm trying to discover, so forgive my poorly worded question.  Perhaps I should have stated......"I have a 2GB USB thumb drive formatted fat32, and I am only placing .mid files within folders on the drive".  My question is does the O/S of the PSR-S650 only permit X number of 'root folders' ? and/or can the O/S only see a nested folder depth of ..say 3 levels ? or is nesting say to a depth of eg 7 levels perfectly acceptable?
My original question, that I tried to ask, was simply because in attempting to place .mid files onto a USB thumb drive I encountered the situation where the Keyboard could not see either all or only part of the files placed into a folder.  I tried restricting the number of files to 40 per folder and with just 6 folders the keyboard failed to read the contents......So does the O/S of the Yamaha PSR-S650 have file / folder limits? (that it can cope with) and if so can someone please state what they are?
Phew!!!

The OS has file name length limits. The name can’t be more than 50 characters long.

Hope this helps,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline panos

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 11:37:00 AM »
I tried on my psr s750 and I was able to create several subfolders everyone inside the previous subfolder.
Yamaha recommends usb sticks of 2.0 speed for these models.
I cannot add the URL right now but you can search in google for the list of recommended  USB sticks for Yamaha psr650.
Have you got another USB stick to try?
Have you formated the USB stick on your keyboard first before using it?

I have several older and new USB sticks that don't work smoothly with my model.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 11:38:55 AM by panos »

Goody2shoes

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 12:30:27 PM »
Thanks everyone for responding, very much appreciated.

I have tried different USB sticks, and yep I've performed a format on the keyboard and then populated them with files and folders but alas the keyboard still fails to see all the files.  Hence my question to the group about limits I should apply to the USB file structure (in case that was an issue for the Keyboard O/S).  The comment ref file names over 50 characters, is something that I will now check when I get home, I don't think there are any files with overly long file names, but I have a Windows utility called 'Lupas Rename' which can quickly identify files whose filename exceeds 'X' characters (minus the file extension).

Cheers

Goody2shoes

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 06:06:19 PM »
Ok....so it seems (after much experimentation) that folder nesting depth is just 3, and maximum files that can be seen on the USB by the PSR-S650 seems to be 400 files MAX...(unless anyone can say otherwise!!!).

Thanks to everyone

Offline Armand

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 08:19:33 PM »
Hi! PSR-S650 don't accept computer format.
You must use keyboard's format utility and should
appear "USER FILES" folder. In another way, didn't work.
Regards, Armand.