Author Topic: Genos vs. 1.41 will be the last update  (Read 14643 times)

Offline ton37

Genos vs. 1.41 will be the last update
« on: August 07, 2019, 07:27:21 AM »
Short brain wave: based on the past, Yamaha will launch the Genos 2 in the fall of 2020. Version 1.41 is the last update (maybe another 1.45 to correct minor errors, if any). Yamaha is no longer offering exceptional updates, that would harm the sale of the Genos 2. The Genos 1 was already a new and exceptional step. Creating a need, that is a recognizable policy of Yamaha. As they did with Chord Looper and Style Reset in the SX900. It was surprising that a PSR S975 was added after the Genos1. That is a confirmation that Yamaha is happy to make a profit from the sale of keyboards with new things, step by step. Nothing to complain about from a marketing point of view. Don't slaughter the chicken with the golden eggs  ;). With the arrival of the SX900, the Genos / SX is back on schedule. To put a new product on the market alternately for around 1.5 years and thereby safeguard the continued existence of the Yamaha Keyboard Division is simply good entrepreneurship. Us, being keyboard enthusiasts are happy to help Yamaha with that .... ;-)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 08:10:02 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Genos vs. 1.41 will be the last update
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 02:01:14 PM »
I disagree. My bet is there will be OS 1.5 and 2.0. Even when Genos 2 is launched (in 2021j, there will be updates to the original.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline ton37

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 07:48:08 AM »
If so (but I stand my former statement  ;) ), than the OS versions 1.xx will be free. If, and only if, there comes a OS version 2.xx /1.5 the customers have to pay for it. Something like Yamaha does with Cubase (which he owns). Or maybe Yamaha offers commercial (not free) updates for some software features (Like Chord Looper for Genos) throught Musicsoft.  ::)

Just skip when you find this post is too 'scifi' ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline robinez

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 08:12:48 AM »
If so (but I stand my former statement  ;) ), than the OS versions 1.xx will be free. If, and only if, there comes a OS version 2.xx /1.5 the customers have to pay for it. Something like Yamaha does with Cubase (which he owns). Or maybe Yamaha offers commercial (not free) updates for some software features (Like Chord Looper for Genos) throught Musicsoft.  ::)

i doubt that they will charge for such an upgrade, it will devide te genos user base in half functionality wise, if they charge for updates. It's more likely that they won't release such features and reserve it for a future model if they want to make money out of it.

But the competition (korg) gives everything away for free, updates, new features and even style packs, the latest style pack vol. 37 which was released this week is insane, it's on a programming level that i never heard on any keyboard. And people do compare brands with eachother (luckely for us users, that there is competition)).

Personally i think that in october with the release of the new psr models  we will get a version 2.0 for the genos. And it will be free of charge, it's highly unlikely that the yamaha flagship model genos will have less features than their mid range keyboards.

beykock

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 10:09:31 AM »
But the competition (korg) gives everything away for free, updates, new features and even style packs, the latest style pack vol. 37 which was released this week is insane, it's on a programming level that i never heard on any keyboard. And people do compare brands with eachother (luckely for us users, that there is competition)).

Would be very grateful if you could tell more about pack vol. 37. ;)

It looks like this competitor came out with a complete new styles sound ... or am I wrong ?

Thank you in adavance, Qui !

Best wishes, Babette

Offline voodoo

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 10:29:14 AM »
Short brain wave: based on the past, Yamaha will launch the Genos 2 in the fall of 2020. Version 1.41 is the last update (maybe another 1.45 to correct minor errors, if any).

There is no sign that this is true. Yamaha has announced more updates for Genos ("journey continues"). Internal information supports this. But we never know. 

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline robinez

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 12:35:43 PM »

Would be very grateful if you could tell more about pack vol. 37. ;)

It looks like this competitor came out with a complete new styles sound ... or am I wrong ?

Thank you in adavance, Qui !

Best wishes, Babette
Yes, it uses sounds in the styles i never heared in the pa4x before, also the programming is top notch, for instance the drum programming from the R&B and Funk styles are really good, lot's of ghost notes, it's like it's played by a live high quality session drummer. The ballad styles sounds like you are playing live with a band like Incognito, the Funk styles are like playing live with bands like Earth Wind and Fire or Parliament. The pop styles are song styles from songs like CNCO - Pretend (55 million views on youtube) or CamelPhat - Breathe (which is more a dance song).

The previous packs were also really good, but this pack with 11 new styles is even better then the last ones. I can't wait to see what styles we will get in about 6 till 8 weeks (which is more or less the release time frame for each style set package).

Personally i think this is the way Korg has decided to go. If you look at the last 100 styles from the bonusware style packs then they are mostly ranged on recent songs (with millions of views) with the sound that happens nowadays. Also there is a strong focus on RNB ballad style and Funk type of songs. There are only a few old skool styles in those packs (like styles from the years 50 till 2000). My guess is that with the pa5x they will focus on the young generation of keyboard players. All the signs are there when you listen at the current style packs.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 02:53:50 PM »
The thing is that a lot of younger people are not taking up playing music any more.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 02:59:07 PM »
Yes, it uses sounds in the styles i never heared in the pa4x before, also the programming is top notch, for instance the drum programming from the R&B and Funk styles are really good, lot's of ghost notes, it's like it's played by a live high quality session drummer. The ballad styles sounds like you are playing live with a band like Incognito, the Funk styles are like playing live with bands like Earth Wind and Fire or Parliament. The pop styles are song styles from songs like CNCO - Pretend (55 million views on youtube) or CamelPhat - Breathe (which is more a dance song).

The previous packs were also really good, but this pack with 11 new styles is even better then the last ones. I can't wait to see what styles we will get in about 6 till 8 weeks (which is more or less the release time frame for each style set package).

Personally i think this is the way Korg has decided to go. If you look at the last 100 styles from the bonusware style packs then they are mostly ranged on recent songs (with millions of views) with the sound that happens nowadays. Also there is a strong focus on RNB ballad style and Funk type of songs. There are only a few old skool styles in those packs (like styles from the years 50 till 2000). My guess is that with the pa5x they will focus on the young generation of keyboard players. All the signs are there when you listen at the current style packs.

Congratulations for the explanation. I agree with everything and I think this is the future of keyboards.

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

CindyG

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 03:22:30 PM »
Judging from what I've seen on YouTube and music forums, younger people are more interested in synthesizers, particularly analog synths. Also, money is an issue, and there are more cheap synths available these days.

Offline elad770

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 03:27:41 PM »

You talk and write with such confidence that it seems you are Yamaha's CEO.  ;)

beykock

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 03:43:00 PM »
Thank you Qui for your great feedback !
👍👍👍

I wonder when the new PA5X will be available.
Any idea ?

IT IS ALMOST UNBELIEVABLE KORG ARE OFFERING APPROX. 100 NEW STYLES FREE OF CHARGE TO THEIR CUSTOMERS ...🔆🔆🔆

It will be hard to convert these new Korg styles, right ?

Best wishes, Babette

« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 04:20:47 PM by beykock »

Offline panos

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 03:59:47 PM »
If you like new dance music styles with modern drum kits and sounds you could check Jan's styles and synthgrooves cover's with hose styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQoPj8ks3BM

The orchestration of the song that Qui referred to, is not new at all.
It is used for many years now in dance music.
If you want to sound "modern" just use as drum sound in main A the sound that is produced when you hit your middle finger with your thumb and add some effects.I don't know how it is called though  :)
it's like all songs have the same producer.
Never before I saw such a bad use of synthi sounds (from the point of view that they use similar sounds) and luck of imagination in pop music.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 04:04:00 PM by panos »

Offline robinez

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 04:58:28 PM »
Thank you Qui for your great feedback !
👍👍👍

I wonder when the new PA5X will be available.
Any idea ?

IT IS ALMOST UNBELIEVABLE KORG ARE OFFERING APPROX. 100 NEW STYLES FREE OF CHARGE TO THEIR CUSTOMERS ...🔆🔆🔆

It will be hard to convert these new Korg styles, right ?

Best wishes, Babette

No idea when the pa5x will be released, it could be one year or maybe 10 years from now, nobody knows.

By the way there are actually more than 600 free styles in the korg bonusware section, much more then 100.

beykock

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 05:23:34 PM »
600 free Korg styles ?? WOW ! 🎩

A lot of work if these styles need to be converted. 😏

Babette

Offline Henni

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 05:53:39 PM »
Everything apart from the Pa4x styles can be successfully converted with EMC Styleworks. To the best of my knowledge there are no successful Pa4x conversions as yet. Korg saw to that when they created those. They use a special style structure.

In any case, MOST if not all of those converted Korg styles are already available as free downloads over here.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 07:47:04 PM by Henni »
...Fly Forever!

Wouter1972

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 07:07:47 PM »
Just glancing through this thread like most other recent ones: requesting more upgrades, more features from Genos, PSR and SX, more (free) styles, more sounds...even from a Korg that isn’t around yet and how and if these could be made to play on the Genos......and all of these requests preferably right now!!

Is it me or are some people already bored with their keyboard or is there simply nothing else to talk about?

Offline pjd

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 03:13:48 AM »
The reasoned requests come from musicians with goals/needs for live performance and production. They are not bored.

Guitarists write about their search for "tone" through pick-ups, pedal effects, etc. We have electronic computer-based instruments, so we discuss software features. Seems pretty natural...

All the best -- pj

Offline Joe H

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2019, 05:17:41 AM »
The reasoned requests come from musicians with goals/needs for live performance and production. They are not bored.

Guitarists write about their search for "tone" through pick-ups, pedal effects, etc. We have electronic computer-based instruments, so we discuss software features. Seems pretty natural...

All the best -- pj

And we now have expansion packs to enhance our sound libraries in the arranger... it's only going to get better with time.

;)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

beykock

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2019, 05:56:01 AM »
I fully agree with Paul !

If musicians are not allowed to discuss/share interesting technical issues and/or interesting competition information here, I am seriously wondering what I am doing here.

Plse do not call it " boring " ever again.

I am very happy and grateful ( pro ) musicians are " teaching " me a lot and I am learning more and more every day. 

I am respecting everybody's input and support here and hope there is room and space for everybody's constructive opinion, questions and contribution.

Babette
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 06:44:26 AM by beykock »

Wouter1972

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2019, 04:29:26 PM »

Plse do not call it " boring " ever again.

Babette

Easy does it Babette, just as you can make your statements, give me the respect as you claim to give members to make mine. No need to make my assumption any less than yours and certainly not muzzling me by telling what I can or can’t write.

Thanx!

beykock

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2019, 04:36:34 PM »
I agree. I am respecting your opinion too.
It does not matter who is right or wrong.

Take care, Babette

Offline EileenL

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2019, 11:47:34 AM »
I think you will find that most people are more than pleased with there Genos keyboards or they would not be selling so well. I suppose it is human nature to want different styles although if we are honest most of us don't use a fraction of what we have. Voices can be tweaked to our own liking and there are many sample packs to be had. Vocals can be added to multi pads and backings can be made using the multi track facility to play along with. All of these prepared before your gigs. Plenty to keep it interesting.

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2019, 02:20:27 PM »
Genos  vs. 1.41 will not be the last update

I just got mail from Yamaha BNL support.
There sure will be a update.
Only the date is not known yet.

The problem with access to user styles in Song Record > Multi Record > Step Edit > Target > Chord is still not possable in update 1.41
Best Regards,
Wim

Bachus

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2019, 07:33:37 PM »
Genos 1.41 is certainly not the last update..
I think we will see a 1.5 later this year..

Also the Genos 2 will probably not be around till late 2022 but more likely 2023..