Author Topic: moving karaoke file to genos  (Read 771 times)

Offline raywil77

moving karaoke file to genos
« on: November 22, 2023, 10:54:40 AM »
hi everyone, trying gg too move a karaoke file  from usb dongle to genos folder. doesent happen,?
 it will pllay the file dirrectly from th dongle no problem,but it wont save it into a folder anybody got any ideas thankyou

Offline Des O

Re: moving karaoke file to genos
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 11:06:22 AM »
It all depends on what type of file it is. Some Karaoke files are midi some are just audio CD+G. Genos will only save audio wav and Midi.

Offline raywil77

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2023, 06:42:53 PM »
thanks des i think cdg filess a audio file and a separate text file

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2023, 07:52:31 PM »
hi everyone, trying gg too move a karaoke file  from usb dongle to genos folder. doesent happen,?
 it will pllay the file dirrectly from th dongle no problem,but it wont save it into a folder anybody got any ideas thankyou

How do you know it won’t save to a folder. What message did you get?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Des O

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2023, 09:50:09 PM »
How do you know it won’t save to a folder. What message did you get?

Cheers,
Fred

It could be that the karaoke file is mp3 as most if not all are. The only way is to separate the txt file in the karaoke folder but you just get the audio, Genos saves mp3s
You could try renaming it to .mid as it also contains a txt file.
I've had issues trying to create a midi from a karaoke file.

Offline Des O

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2023, 09:51:43 PM »
Try also to rename txt file to .mid

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2023, 01:15:00 AM »

thanks des i think cdg filess a audio file and a separate text file

Hi raywil77,

I found the following description in the Genos(1) Reference Manual, page 69:

Priority of Lyrics data of an Audio Song (MP3 file)

When Showing the Lyrics data of an Audio Song (MP3 file), Only one type of data (according to the priority order below) is shown:

1) CDG File (*.cdg) with the same name of the mp3 file in the same folder.
    2) Lyrics in the MP3 file with the LYRICSBEGIN tag.
    3) Lyrics in the MP3 file with the SLT/SYLT tag.
    4) Lyrics in the MP3 file with the ULT/USLT tag.
    5) Text File (*.txt) with the same name of the MP3 file in the same folder.

Since you mentioned the term "CDG", I suspect that you have an MP3 (without embedded lyrics) and an associated CDG file (which contains the lyrics) for each song. MP3 and CDG files must have the same name (except for the file extension) and must be stored in the same folder, then the text should be displayed when playing the MP3 (which obviously works in your case from USB stick).

As is well known, the main folder specified by the system (e.g. REGIST, STYLE, SONG, TEXT and some others) in the internal User drive. If you copy an MP3 file to the User drive in the Song Selection display, it always ends up in the main folder "SONG" (or in a subfolder there).

You may also be able to select CDG files in the Song Selection display and thus copy to the User drive. If this does not work, you could use the USB Storage Mode to copy a few MP3s and the associated CDG files into the SONG folder of the Genos User drive. Then check whether the lyrics are displayed as desired when playing these MP3s from the User drive. (The USB Storage Mode must be left to do so, i.e. the Genos must be started normally.)

To use the USB Storage Mode, you connect the Genos' USB-to-host terminal via a USB type "AB" cable with the computer and then start the Genos with the Playlist button pressed. The Genos User drive is then displayed on the computer as an external drive after a short time.

If it shouldn't work as described, playing MP3s with the associated CDG files from the User drive is probably not possible.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 03:47:56 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)