Author Topic: Real/Seattle Strings VS Kino Strings (Audio demonstration)  (Read 583 times)

Offline Francesco Massa

Real/Seattle Strings VS Kino Strings (Audio demonstration)
« on: August 10, 2019, 10:12:01 PM »
Hi,
I have prepared some audio demo to help users to understand the difference between these two great strings orchestras, and what is the better "field" to use them.
Seattle strings are not better then Kino strings, but just different and great for different music styles.
On attachments you have 6 demos: 3 voice demo and 3 style demo with these strings. In every demo, Seattle strings play for first.

Francesco

EDIT: reuploaded Style_1 demo because old file had a problem.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 07:31:39 AM by Francesco Massa »
Genos

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Pino, Jacob, XeeniX, soundphase, pjd, rezaazadi1361, Oxford1035, ton37

Offline Eric, B

Re: Real/Seattle Strings VS Kino Strings (Audio demonstration)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 11:52:06 PM »
Thank you for your work and this great comparison.
I enjoyed listening to it.
Very cool.
Eric
Genos, PSR-S970

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 12:45:37 AM »
Thank you, Francesco. Very helpful.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Online EileenL

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 03:24:38 PM »
Thank you for the nice Demo. I found in some cases the Kino strings sound a lot brighter.

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 06:23:14 PM »
Thanks for the demo. I agree with Eileen. I think that the Seattle strings would be more suitable than the Kino for classical music. The Kino are probably better for film music.

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline soundphase

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 06:19:46 PM »
More very good strings with these free ones .... from CMS

http://www.cms-sounddesign.de/page105.html

Soundphase

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 01:22:42 AM »
Great comparison! Thank you for sharing that with us.
GENOS, Clavinova CVP 307, PSR s970, Korg Pa4x-76

Steve's Genos Recordings

Steve's Gig Disks

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 02:16:51 AM »
Yes, many thanks for the demos.  The Seattle strings sound a little darker and fuller to my hearing.  But, both types are very good.  And, by the way, wonder how the city fathers of Seattle feel about their fair city being identified in a Yamaha product?  Wonder if other cities and locales want to jump on board and get a “voice” named in their honor?  Just imagine in the future many of the voices bearing names of places or well-known musicians.  I’d like some James Burton guitar.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 12:18:49 PM »
As I understand it, the point of Kino strings is that they use multiple elements to map different string instruments across the stereo field, mimicking the way a real orchestra is laid out.

So I wonder, does the Kino strings use any new samples, or it is just the existing samples skilfully blended in a way that could also be done on YEM with the T5?
Tyros5

Offline Francesco Massa

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 12:23:12 PM »
As I understand it, the point of Kino strings is that they use multiple elements to map different string instruments across the stereo field, mimicking the way a real orchestra is laid out.

So I wonder, does the Kino strings use any new samples, or it is just the existing samples skilfully blended in a way that could also be done on YEM with the T5?

Hi Derek,
no they are totally new samples, different from Seattle ones. All Kino strings are S.Art voices, so they are not available in YEM, except for Spiccato parts.
But also Seattle strings use multiple elements at the same way of Kino, but I think microphone setting (and orchestra, obviously) is different between the two orchestras.

Francesco
Genos

The following users thanked this post: DerekA

Offline pjd

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 04:08:33 AM »
Yes, many thanks for the demos.  The Seattle strings sound a little darker and fuller to my hearing.  But, both types are very good.  And, by the way, wonder how the city fathers of Seattle feel about their fair city being identified in a Yamaha product?  Wonder if other cities and locales want to jump on board and get a “voice” named in their honor?  Just imagine in the future many of the voices bearing names of places or well-known musicians.  I’d like some James Burton guitar.

The Seattle Strings also appear as the Montage/MODX Seattle Sections and aolo instruments. "Seattle" doesn't honor the city so much as it recognizes the Seattle Symphony, whose members contributed their musicianship and skills.

BTW, I wonder how these samples relate to the orchestral samples record and sold by Digital Sound Factory (Timothy Swartz)? See "Symphony Strings" for Motif on the Yamaha Musicsoft site.

All the best -- pj

P.S. I now live just north of Seattle.  :)