Author Topic: Experience and Watch Peter Baartmans perform Demo Yamaha PSR-SX900.  (Read 14669 times)

Today I was there very early and I had about 60 minutes to experience the Yamaha SX900 alone and I have the following assessments

- DESIGN: New, sturdy design, glossy aluminum surface with striped stripes, convenient 4-way Bend, various singing, recording and music functions. Two USB ports, can output images to the external monitor with a USB port

- MONITOR: 7inch touch, beautiful colors, display lots of information. (This is far away from Korg 2000km .. ha ha) It is possible to customize the displayed content. * DISADVANTAGES: The design screen is flat, dazzling and difficult to see when playing outdoors.

- BUTTON BUTTON: still using rubber, dust-free blemishes. Bright LED lights, can adjust 4 light levels like Genos.

- KEYBOARD: Newly improved, giving you a better sense of beating, deeper key stroke and heavier finger impact. When I play it makes me think of Tyros 2's keyboard, it's quite similar in feel.
At the product display area, Yamaha staff has both Genos and S975 available for comparison, and I find the SX900 keys much better than S975, which reaches 80% of Genos keyboards.

- VOICES. There are not many new voices (see Datalist) Some new voices like New Guitar Solo, Megavoice, Strings

- DRUMS: There are many more Drums to take the same sample created with REVO DRUM on Genos. Listening to the feeling is REVO on Genos, but on the SX900 it is not REVO, just Voice Drums, With new Drums, the style sounds better and stronger.

- STYLE: More than 80% Style is calibrated and renewed, most inherited from Genos. Style groups are categorized into new styles, ways to classify style groups are not scientific. Those who have upgraded from the old PSR to search for style just said ... stupid

- OUTPUT: Improving the price, the DAC is improved, so the sound emits stronger, thicker and fuller. The writer tried to play voice piano, strings, flute ... at the high notes. And notice a clear difference from the old PSR. When Peter Baartmans demonstrated the SX900 and CVP805 with his comparison, the sound was not much different from the output quality. Of course, the CVP 805 is still better, the bass is stronger and fuller.

- MEMORY: Yamaha provides 1Gb to install samples from outside or buy from Yamaha store. And the memory for Audio Style is 2Gb (will verify again later). Total capacity of CPI PPI file can be installed on the SX900 is 4Gb (Equivalent to Genos)

- Styles are edited with DRUMS SETUP, and REGIST MEMORY banks created from Genos can work normally on the SX900 (of course there will be missing the voices just only in Genos)

Summary:
The SX900 is Yamaha's spectacular change to the PSR line. It does not have many new Voice but in return is an excellent change in sound quality, keyboard and functions ... It shortens the sound quality gap between the Genos premium line and the PSR universal line.

Who will buy the SX900?
SX900 with a price of 36tr VND (About $ 1650 USD) The quality is totally worth replacing Tyros 3, Tyros 4, S975 and earlier. Ranking in quality, the SX900 is second only to Genos. And Tyros 5 vs SX900, this is a difficult decision to make.

UPDATE:
Some people are wondering if they want to compare with Tyros 5 (Because I used Tyros 5 so I will update more)
- Tyros 5: Keyboard, Sound, Body better than Made In Japan ... of course
- The SX900 has new technologies, lots of features, four-way joystick, Touch screen with beautiful colors.
- Tyros 5, Ram can upgrade to max 2Gb vs SX900 only 1Gb
- Technology Sample Voices both are the same, It is possible to use one source CPF and PPF from YEM (Rather, the SX900 inherits this technology from Tyros 5)
- Tyros 5 with S.Art2 is more advanced than the SX900
- The SX900 has a great DrumSetup feature, but Tyros 5 has a great ability to create Custom Drum Voice from YEM.

* So so if:
- Priority on sound quality, Features voices, high-key typing feeling, buy Tyros 5.
- Want to experience new technology, new features and less money to buy SX900

Some Pictures:

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 02:06:44 PM by Snicker740 »
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52, Dave Shively, vaazoo350, dtah80, thomas750, ton37

beykock

Re: Experience and Watch Peter Baartmans perform Demo Yamaha PSR-SX900.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 04:17:49 PM »

Hi Guys :

Peter Baartmans presented in Vietnam a song with a human voice ( lyrics etc. ) during his SX900 presentation, right ?

Would like to know what he did to perform this song ...

I would very grateful if one of you could explain how to proceed.

Thank you in advance. Babette

The following users thanked this post: Snicker740

3dc

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 04:26:27 PM »
Today I was there very early and I had about 60 minutes to experience the Yamaha SX900 alone and I have the following assessments

Any news about probably speculated SX600 and SX300? Is PSR-S670 replacement on horizon?

Offline panos

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 04:47:03 PM »
Great review snicker!
So in your personal opinion the new SX probably sounds better than the previous psr S and not  far away from the Tyros 5 that you own and you know how it sounds.

Thumbs up for the picture of you with mr Peter :)
Too bad he had to present other instruments too and the video was short.

Offline ton37

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 04:53:43 PM »
Thank you @Snicker740 for taking time to inform us with your review. Much appreciated and apparently you had a nice time, including a selfy with PB.
My best regards,
Ton

beykock

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 05:10:31 PM »
Hi Snicker 740 :

Great review and super photos.👍👍👍

Many thanks for your great job !💐

Did you do the local translation for Peter Baartmans ?

Maybe you can explain how Peter presented the song with the human voice ( singer ) ? THANK YOU !😁

Best wishes, Babette
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 05:11:48 PM by beykock »

Offline Telmo

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 05:30:34 PM »
Improved KEYBOARD, better feel, deeper, stronger keys.
Could you please elaborate more on the keybed feel comparing to the S970 or S975?? I personaly found the S670 key-feel  was much more solid. The S670 keybed is even better than the S975. Does the SX900 has a better key-feel??
Yamaha PSR-SX-900, JBL EON ONE Linear-Array PA System.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Telmo3190
"We are Old Too quick... and Wise too late."

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 06:18:17 PM »

- DESIGN: New, sturdy design, glossy aluminum surface with striped stripes, convenient 4-way Bend, various singing, recording and music functions. Two USB ports, can output images to the external monitor with a USB port

- MONITOR: 7inch touch, beautiful colors, display lots of information. (This is far away from Korg 2000km .. ha ha) It is possible to customize the displayed content. * DISADVANTAGES: The design screen is flat, dazzling and difficult to see when playing outdoors.

- BUTTON BUTTON: still using rubber, dust-free blemishes. Bright LED lights, can adjust 4 light levels like Genos.
- Improved KEYBOARD, better feel, deeper, stronger keys. The feeling is similar to Tyros 2. There are Genos and S975 available for comparison. More than 975 a heaven and a region. 8/10 ratio compared to Genos. (This is a worthwhile upgrade)

- VOICES. There are not many new voices (see Datalist) Some new voices like New Guitar Solo, Megavoice, Strings

- DRUMS: There are many more Drums to take the same sample created with REVO DRUM on Genos. Listening to the feeling is REVO on Genos, but on the SX900 it is not REVO, just Voice Drums, With new Drums, the style sounds better and stronger.

- STYLE: More than 80% Style is calibrated and renewed, most inherited from Genos. Style groups are categorized into new styles, ways to classify style groups are not scientific. Those who have upgraded from the old PSR to search for style just said ... stupid

- OUTPUT: Improving the price, the DAC is improved, so the sound emits stronger, thicker and fuller. The writer tried to play voice piano, strings, flute ... at the high notes. And notice a clear difference from the old PSR. When Peter Baartmans demonstrated the SX900 and CVP805 with his comparison, the sound was not much different from the output quality. Of course, the CVP 805 is still better, the bass is stronger and fuller.

- MEMORY: Yamaha provides 1Gb to install samples from outside or buy from Yamaha store. And the memory for Audio Style is 2Gb (will verify again later). Total capacity of CPI PPI file can be installed on the SX900 is 4Gb (Equivalent to Genos)

Summary:
The SX900 is Yamaha's spectacular change to the PSR line. It does not have many new Voice but in return is an excellent change in sound quality, keyboard and functions ... It shortens the sound quality gap between the Genos premium line and the PSR universal line.

Who will buy the SX900?
SX900 with a price of 36tr VND (About $ 1650 USD) The quality is totally worth replacing Tyros 3, Tyros 4, S975 and earlier. Ranking in quality, the SX900 is second only to Genos. And Tyros 5 vs SX900, this is a difficult decision to make.

UPDATE:
Some people are wondering if they want to compare with Tyros 5 (Because I used Tyros 5 so I will update more)
- Tyros 5: Keyboard, Sound, Body better than Made In Japan ... of course
- The SX900 has new technologies, lots of features, four-way joystick, Touch screen with beautiful colors.
- Tyros 5, Ram can upgrade to max 2Gb vs SX900 only 1Gb
- Technology Sample Voices both are the same, It is possible to use one source CPF and PPF from YEM (Rather, the SX900 inherits this technology from Tyros 5)
- Tyros 5 with S.Art2 is more advanced than the SX900
- The SX900 has a great DrumSetup feature, but Tyros 5 has a great ability to create Custom Drum Voice from YEM.

* So so if:
- Priority on sound quality, Features voices, high-key typing feeling, buy Tyros 5.

Some Pictures:

Amazing! I hope he visit my country some day  :'(

Offline ton37

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 06:31:20 PM »
You could ask @Snicker740 if he has plans to do that  ;D ;D ;D
My best regards,
Ton

Offline ton37

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 06:41:25 PM »
…...
- Improved KEYBOARD, better feel, deeper, stronger keys. The feeling is similar to Tyros 2. There are Genos and S975 available for comparison. More than 975 a heaven and a region. 8/10 ratio compared to Genos. (This is a worthwhile upgrade)

……...
Hi @Snicker740, please could you tell more of your experience on the keybed. Or could someone explain what this sentence means. (Problem with understanding the language).

I have noticed @Telmo ask similar ...
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Telmo

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 08:02:55 PM »
Hi @Snicker740, please could you tell more of your experience on the keybed. Or could someone explain what this sentence means. (Problem with understanding the language).
That's right Ton. I'm very excited to know if the keys feel a little bit cheap as the S975. When I tested the entry level Psr-S670 the keys felt much more solid and pleasant to play comparing to the S975.

Offline ton37

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 08:20:20 PM »
Precisely @Telmo: in addition to your/my question. When I play the keys and the loudness of my 'PA' is almost turn down (i.e. evening/night) one can hear the keys banging somewhat to loudly on the plastic base case (too less damping). Would love to hear also if that has been reduced with a better damping??
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 08:21:43 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline mikf

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 09:07:13 PM »
Did you really have to copy and paste all the pictures, texts  and images just to say that!!

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 10:28:59 PM »
Snicker, thanks for the review, great job with it and nice photos.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline ikmusic

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2019, 11:17:46 PM »
Maybe you can explain how Peter presented the song with the human voice ( singer ) ? THANK YOU !😁

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ZgMKBzMEs

The Yamaha Genos Audio Link MultiPad feature used to trigger audio files from the MultiPads
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 11:53:15 PM by ikmusic »
Obecnie PSR-SX900 + Roland Ra95. Wcześniej były:
Yamaha: Tyros 5/4/3/2 S970 S770 S750 S710 S670 PSR1500 E413 W7v2 V50
Roland: BK9 BK7m BK5 G800 E35 E70 E50 U20 Ra90 JV50 Mc500
Korg: Pa4x Pa1000 01Wfd
Ketron: SD5

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2019, 11:22:37 PM »

Who will buy the SX900?

Thank you for your very detailed and fantastic overview. That is quite a bold statement you say there about being a worthy replacement to a Tyros 4 since it's something I've really been wanting, a portable T4, but never has materialised. So if this is true, then I am going to be in for a treat so it seems and can't wait to receive mine :)

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2019, 11:57:07 PM »
You could ask @Snicker740 if he has plans to do that  ;D ;D ;D

Hahahahaha I meant Peter Baartmans but @Snicker740 you are welcome to Perú too, of course :)

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2019, 01:10:24 AM »
Great review snicker!
So in your personal opinion the new SX probably sounds better than the previous psr S and not  far away from the Tyros 5 that you own and you know how it sounds.

Thumbs up for the picture of you with mr Peter :)
Too bad he had to present other instruments too and the video was short.

I have fully used Yamaha PSR 910-950-970- Tyros3 and Tyros4 ... Actually, the SX900 fully convinced me at the present time.
If you have to choose, the SX900 is fully capable of replacing PSR 910-950-970- Tyros3 and Tyros4

And Tyros5 ... Uhm ..... we'll have to wonder about this choice. Because of the fact that Voices on the SX900 are completely on Tyros5. And Tyros5 has more than that.
But the Style section, features like Chord Looper, Style Reset, Fill half bar or touch screen ... of the SX900 will make you difficult to choose.
* So, if:
- Priority on sound quality, Voice feature, high keystroke feeling, Tyros 5 purchase.

Could you please elaborate more on the keybed feel comparing to the S970 or S975?? I personaly found the S670 key-feel  was much more solid. The S670 keybed is even better than the S975. Does the SX900 has a better key-feel??

You've got a good question. The S670's key feeling is completely better than S970 / 975. Because the S670 uses a completely different keyboard structure than the S970 / 975.
And to be exact: the SX900 has a similar key feel to the S670, with a completely new keybel and a more premium feel to the S670.

I have noticed @Telmo ask similar ...

KEYBOARD: Newly improved, giving you a better sense of beating, deeper key stroke and heavier finger impact.
At the display area, including Genos, S975 for the player to compare, and I found that the SX900 keys are much better than S975, it reaches 80% of the Genos keyboard.
Genos + Motif XS7

The following users thanked this post: panos, ton37

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2019, 01:38:45 AM »
I have fully used Yamaha PSR 910-950-970- Tyros3 and Tyros4 ... Actually, the SX900 fully convinced me at the present time.
If you have to choose, the SX900 is fully capable of replacing PSR 910-950-970- Tyros3 and Tyros4

And Tyros5 ... Uhm ..... we'll have to wonder about this choice. Because of the fact that Voices on the SX900 are completely on Tyros5. And Tyros5 has more than that.
But the Style section, features like Chord Looper, Style Reset, Fill half bar or touch screen ... of the SX900 will make you difficult to choose.
* So, if:
- Priority on sound quality, Voice feature, high keystroke feeling, Tyros 5 purchase.

Hi Snicker740,

I am very interested and curious to understand why you'd think SX900 could replace a Tyros 4 but not so much a Tyros 5. I know that the SX series is different from S but the problem I had with all previous S series keyboards were the lack of Vocal voices, and thus when trying to play Tyros 4 styles on a PSR S975 that have these vocals in their styles, they are not there and you can't even map them because there aren't any vocals to map them to. But.. if SX900 has these so called vocals and would play T4 styles fine, then I will be so pleased.

Also, did you say that the buttons are rubber as I thought they were plastic?

Thank you very much indeed.

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2019, 06:33:37 AM »
Thanks for this great review!
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2019, 07:26:23 AM »
Hi,
Thank you for the very informative review. As a prospective purchaser , really helpful.

Best wishes
Rikki
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline EileenL

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2019, 12:29:21 PM »
It seems that most of the vocal voices including scats are on the SX900.

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2019, 02:12:19 PM »
Hi Snicker740,

I am very interested and curious to understand why you'd think SX900 could replace a Tyros 4 but not so much a Tyros 5. I know that the SX series is different from S but the problem I had with all previous S series keyboards were the lack of Vocal voices, and thus when trying to play Tyros 4 styles on a PSR S975 that have these vocals in their styles, they are not there and you can't even map them because there aren't any vocals to map them to. But.. if SX900 has these so called vocals and would play T4 styles fine, then I will be so pleased.

Also, did you say that the buttons are rubber as I thought they were plastic?

Thank you very much indeed.

If you only compare voices, sound quality, keyboard quality. Tyros4 is still much more valuable.
But the SX900 has many new Drums, has many new features, and it is important that it can share with Genos, Tyros 5 most of the user-generated audio (Voice, Drums and Audio Style) packages on YEM.
Genos + Motif XS7

Offline ton37

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2019, 02:59:21 PM »
Thanks again @Snicker740. An interesting point, when it comes to make a choice,  iin your 'summary' you wrote that the sx is 'cheaper ' than the T5. Sure, but when one accept a second hand T5 then ithe T5 is almost equal or even less than a new SX900.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 03:01:40 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Enildo

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2019, 03:01:54 PM »
Thank you Snicker for taking some of your time and sharing all this information with us.
I'm getting happier with the SX900, and a well-crafted comment like that certainly influences our decisions a lot.

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline rgw

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2019, 12:01:32 PM »
And of course the SX900 has high quality onboard Speakers (which the Tyros does not) and has a much smaller Footprint and weighs 2.5kg less than the Tyros5.

Just my thoughts.

Richard.

beykock

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2019, 12:47:34 PM »
Wishful thinking ? 😸

It might be much too early to give your opinion about the quality of the new SX900 speakers and compare them ( yet ) with the Tyros5 speaker system unless you have heard them already. Keep in mind the SX900 woofer is an option !
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 12:50:43 PM by beykock »

Offline Telmo

« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 01:31:50 PM by Telmo »

Offline rgw

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2019, 06:56:45 PM »
Hi Beycock,

My point was that the Tyros5 does not have internal speakers. You have to purchase a sound system.

Offline dtah80

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2019, 04:46:41 AM »
Hi Snicker,

Thank you so much for sharing, this is so..cool, being there with Peter Baartmans.
I think it's time to trade-in my beloved S950, thanks to your review.

Take care,

David
David
Genos, PSR-740, MOXF6

Offline EileenL

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2019, 12:20:34 PM »
The vocals Peter used are Audio Multi Pads. You can do this on your Tyro 5.