Author Topic: Wish List -- PSR-E473 / PSR-EX400 / PSR-E560...  (Read 16470 times)

Offline SciNote

Wish List -- PSR-E473 / PSR-EX400 / PSR-E560...
« on: August 10, 2019, 09:23:22 AM »
... Or whatever the heck it may be called!

I would expect this model to come out sometime next year, so maybe Yamaha could use a nudge while they're designing it!

So, Yamaha, can we please get...

1. Portamento, at least on some of the synth sounds (Casio now offers this for $180).

2. Upgrade the sequencer a little bit.  I realize too much of an upgrade would compete with the S670, so it's fine to keep it at six tracks.  Just PLEASE add the ability to do some basic editing on a track so the entire track does not have to be rerecorded if you make a mistake.  Simply adding the ability to select a measure of a particular track and start new recording from that measure without erasing the previous measures would be fine.  The ability to adjust the volume of each track would be nice, as well.

3. Improve the key feel.  Come on, Yamaha, you nailed it with the E433, so you have the capability to put a superior keyboard in a lower cost instrument.  Let's see you do it again.

4. More registrations?  Again, not so much as to compete with the S670, but either two more buttons per bank, or at least two more banks (we have Banks 1-8, so add Bank 9 and Bank 0) would be nice.

5. The E463 (or maybe this was also in the E453) introduced the ability to add reverb and chorus to the rhythm/style section, as well as filtering.  But as soon as you change the rhythm/style or turn the keyboard off, those settings are cleared.  Consider having the keyboard remember those settings, even if the style is changed or if the keyboard is turned off and back on, so that you can change the rhythm for different songs and still have your custom rhythm/style reverb, chorus, and filtering without having to reset those parameters with each change of the rhythm/style.  Or maybe a memory button to store your favorite rhythm/style custom parameters.  Yes, this can all be saved to a registration, but then that also saves the tempo and keyboard sounds.  Being able to save these custom rhythm/style parameters while using the registrations primarily for saving keyboard sounds would be beneficial.

6. Speaking of the styles, instead of having one button that toggles between sections A and B, how about having a separate button for each section, with an LED indicating which section is playing?  This way, if you just want a drum fill without changing the A/B section, you just hit the button for the section that is currently playing.  But if you want to change the A/B section, you just hit the button for the section that is not playing.  Alternately, keep the current A/B toggle button, but add a dedicated drum fill button that does not change which A/B section is playing.  Again, no need to add a C and D section and compete with the S670.  Just give us a little more control -- especially since this layout hasn't been changed in, what, at least a decade?

7. Improve the display screen.  No, there's no need to make a complex high-resolution color screen.  But adding one or two more lines of text would allow for conveniences such as seeing the name of the parameter you're changing, as well as its value, all at once, or the ability to see the names of the sounds for the current main, dual, and split voices all at once.

8. Add a setting that allows the sustain pedal to affect both sides of a split keyboard.

9. Having the ability to have a dual voice on the left side of a split keyboard would be nice, but I won't hold my breath, as even a PSR-S975 doesn't do that.  Yet, the old PSR-500 and PSR-510 models from the 1990's did have this feature.

10. Provide a setting that allows you to change the main voice without also changing the dual voice.  With the current model, changing the main voice automatically clears your previous dual voice settings and fills them with settings that Yamaha deems as most appropriate to complement the main voice.  But if you're trying to get a particular sound and going back and forth changing parameters between the main and dual voices, it would be nice to keep the dual voice settings intact if you change the main voice.

These are my suggestions, so far!  Feel free to add others!
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

The following users thanked this post: vbdx66, Keyboard Master

3dc

Re: Wish List -- PSR-E473 / PSR-EX400 / PSR-E560...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 10:55:53 AM »
With CASIO CTX5000 seriously biting into Yamaha PSR-S670 class I hope Yamaha will respond soon with all guns available....preferably as soon as possible or while we can still resist CASIO offer. Do you hear Yamaha? Help! Help now! :)

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 07:55:14 PM »
Hi guys, great topic  8)

Here is my wishlist:

-Portamento button.
-Dedicated Main A and Main B buttons (I have this on the CT-X800!!!)
-Please give us back the keybed of the PSR E433... please...
-Freeze button (@Bob: this will take care of point 5 in your list).
-Mixer.
-A few more Sweet! and Cool! sounds. Man, the PSR E line is dying for a palatable acoustic and electric guitar, a decent clarinet (of the same quality as the Sweet! Tenor Sax) and a usable Solo Violin, as well as a Cello.
-Please, move the headphone jack socket and the USB to Device port to the front of the keyboard! Today’s layout is cumbersome to say the least.
-And: the possibility to read styles directly from the USB stick would simply be great. It is already possible to red MIDI files from a stick, so why not styles? I am sure it is really easy to implement in th OS, my DGX650 can do it.

Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline SciNote

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 02:06:29 PM »
Yeah, a freeze feature would be good for memorizing the detail parameters of a rhythm or style as you change from one style to another.  I would just also ask that these parameters also be memorized when the keyboard is turned off, just as settings like the equalizer are memorized, so that you don't have to set up these parameters every time you turn on the keyboard.  With the fine-tuning that can be done with reverb, chorusing, and filtering on the styles, it would be a hassle to have to keep dialing in all those parameters each time you turn on the keyboard.

And yes, I know these settings can be saved to a registration, but then the registration also saves the keyboard's sounds and the style's tempo, making that particular registration more or less dedicated to a limited number of songs.  And with only 32 registrations, you can't have too many song-specific registrations on board at once (though you can load more as you need them through a USB flash drive).

Then again, I guess with a freeze function, you could have a registration with a style and your favorite style reverb, chorus, and filter settings.  You could call up that registration, hit the freeze button, and then change styles and registrations while still keeping those reverb, chorus, and filter settings.

I suppose with the current keyboard, you can come close to that by having some registrations dedicated to that purpose -- saved with styles that have your favorite style reverb, chorus, and filter settings.  Then the rest of your registrations would be saved without a style, so you could first choose the registration that selects your style and parameters, and then use the other registrations to change the sound without changing the style or its parameters.  This is fine if you use maybe 3 or 4 styles frequently, and therefore would dedicate 3 or 4 registrations to this purpose.  But much more than that really eats into the limited number of registrations available.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 02:08:42 PM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)

zaid alyassi

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 10:54:33 PM »
any news about Yamaha psr-e473

Offline casiokid

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 04:54:27 PM »
L/R & R  1/4" speaker jacks, like on the E410 to attach  KS-SW100 sub woofer

zaid alyassi

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 09:29:17 PM »
When will Yamaha PSR-E473 be released  in the market?

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 10:06:19 PM »
Hi, my wishlist is very short:

1. Color Screen (like the PSR SX600)
2. MegaVoices

Offline HiHoSilver

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 10:29:36 PM »
My PSR-E473 wishlist, based on my PSR-E463 and comparing it to my old PSR-220 from the mid-to-late 1990s, would include (in no particular order):

• Being able to disable vibrato on voices - for instance, if I want to play a chord with each note on a different instrument (either two voices using dual or any number of voices recorded one at a time), the way a real human ensemble would play it, vibrato is usually unwanted, but there's no control over this.  For instrumental chords, I'm pretty much stuck with having to use the pre-packaged ensemble voices, where every "instrument" in the ensemble plays all notes simultaneously.
  • More shortcuts to specific "functions" - I can go directly to the functions for dual or split voice, for instance, by pressing and holding the button, but there's no way to go directly to the main voice settings (not to pick the voice itself, but to adjust things like pan or attack), touch sensitivity, reverb type, etc.  The layout of my 220's limited options for this sort of thing was much better.
  • Better quality on some voices - many of the voices sound much more like the real instrument than my 20+ year old 220, and some, uh, still sound like a cheap keyboard.  I'm not asking for professional quality here, just not blatantly fake.
  • Better documentation - the manual's pages are half the size of my 220's manual, many things are missing (e.g. the voice list, which you have to download), it needs to be proofread, and it leaves lots of questions unanswered so you have to use your favourite search engine to try to find out what they mean by cool, sweet, KSP, velocity crossfade, etc.

Offline SciNote

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 12:24:43 PM »
The more that time goes by, the more that I think that the PSR-E473 is going to be little more than a PSR-E463 with S.Art Lite and * maybe * portamento.  And if portamento is offered, there's a good chance that it will be like it is in the PSR-I500 which -- based on the manual -- does not allow the portamento setting to be saved in a registration and requires menu-diving to switch it on and off, making it virtually unusable in a live performance situation.  Again, I'm going by the manual, as I have no direct experience with this keyboard -- If I am wrong, please let me know.

I wonder when Yamaha will even release the E473.  A Google search for "Yamaha PSR-E473" turns up little more than my own posts on this forum!  It's funny that companies like Apple and Samsung can make sure the latest version of their smartphones are released annually, like clockwork, but keyboards like this are now released at a glacial pace.
Bob

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 07:26:12 AM »
Hi Bob,

I am sure that the E473 will eventually be released as it will fit neatly the gap between the E373 and the SX600.

The fact that it takes so long is probably due to the pandemic.

And the fact that it takes so long is not overtly negative. It might mean that Yamaha has some innovations in stock for the E473.

Maybe audio and MIDI Bluetooth connectivity?

I am sure more data will come out in the forthcoming months and you'll read something else than your own posts LoL  ;D

Regards,

Vinciane

Mysteriouslog6

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 12:28:28 PM »
I would like for the E463/EW410/i500 successor to have these few features (I am a beginner so these are really just small User-Experience changes):

1. The slots for the stand should be magnetic (Sounds stupid I know) so that the stand can just click in , I have had the stand fall of twice in a row , the magnet will slow down the fall and hold it a bit better.

2. The keybed can be improved , I came from a Casio CTK-2400 and the E463 was awesome except the keybed felt a bit bad for the price , better than the 2400 but not as good as my friends Yamaha (Forgot the model , played it once and was surprised by its keybed).

3. Would love to have an assignable "do it all" button that can be customized to our liking similar to a macro , we could perform an action and get it written to that button.

4. The occasional stuttering when a few effects from Live Control and DSP settings are added should be reduced , experienced it once or twice while I was tinkering around and kind of destroyed the experience.

5. Prevent corrupted .USR files from wiping internal memory and then proceeding with the backup only to give an error. This can be done by loading currently used user data to ram while it tries to do the restore if it fails then load back the original from ram. (Again this can be probably added to the E463 as it has an update ability, instead of ram usb storage can also be used)

6. Add a few more registration's (never thought that I would say this) I never use to really need a whole lot of registration's before I started to have my classes and my own random song covers (They require a few slots as I try to find the best tone /Voice) , would be better to add two more buttons and also an indicator on the screen to show what bank we are using. Example: "Registration 2:4" Meaning: 2 -The slot 4-the button or add an led on each button.

7.Make portamento more accessible (For i500 users only the first part) it is deep inside the function menu and hard to find making it an almost never use , it also needs improvement as right now you can easily hear the weird noise from the portamento effect when it is enabled.

8. (For E463/EW410 users) ADD THE PORTAMENTO FUNCTION , and also maybe do the same things as request number 7.
(Again this can be added to the E463 as it has an update ability)

9. Make the screen larger not similar to the S670orS650 but at the least a bit wider so that tones aren't written as "GrandPno" instead as "GrandPiano" or "GrndPiano".
Maybe a colour screen (It is at the bottom as it is not a necessity)

8. Add one more "USB TO HOST" connection port on the keyboard (Doesn't have to be at the front but would be better if at the front of the keybaord , the back is fine) , also fix the random "Err" messages , not a problem with my usb.

9. Add support for phones to be used as "USB" devices , my phone doesn't seem to be detected as an USB device while the phone can detect that it is plugged to a USB supported device????
Probably due to the SDcard also existing but this bugs me a WHOLE LOT.
(Again this can be added to the E463 as it has an update ability)

10. Improve melody suppressor , I have touched it once and never again it does do it's job but not always some songs that have Autotune in the singers voice seems to confuse the Keybaord a little causing it to supress the BGM the same happens when there is little to no vocals.

11. STOP CHANGING MY DUAL VOICE WHEN I CHANGE MY MAIN VOICE!!!!!!!!
Title.

12. Improve audio quality (I regret buying the E463 , I was going for the CTX9000IN , bought it due to my sir only having ever used Yamaha's).
Even Casio is catching up , while there are still people who think Casio suck compared to Yamaha (My sir is one of them , no offense) their opinion can change any moment especially with the new AiX sound chip.

13.Different buttons for A/B fill , I didn't really understand what people meant by this but now I do and I want one (Kind of but not an emergency)

14. Ability to change the Pitch wheel to a modulation wheel (A setting in the functions menu / a physical button) again possible on the E463 with an update.

15. Ability to read styles from usb instead of importing them. (similar to MiDi songs)

16. The new smart chord feature

17. More DSP effects.

18. More internal storage.

19. A slightly more rigid chassis , I have taken up the keyboard more than once and I can feel it flexing a bit when I keep it down , A grab handle would also be appreciated.

20. Support XG instead of XGLite. (Not really something I am bothered with but would like to see getting added)

21. The new "Smart Chord" feature.

22. Maybe? the chord looper (Pretty please?!)

23. Slightly better Touch-Sensitivity , this might be hardware but on the E463 sometimes hard presses appear to be super "soft" according to the keyboard. I know that the keyboard is a Velocity-Touch but would be better to have more granular Sensitivity detection.

24. The ability to recharge rechargeable batteries from the keyboard itself. Seems and hears pretty hard to do but will be impressed if Yamaha does this.

25. (Maybe i500 only) reduce the blue tint of the screen , the screen has a blue tint (A clear blue I will add) but this gets disturbing at night , would be better to have a pure white screen.

26. when fill->B or fill->A is done please also make the bass , Chord1 , Chord 2 and phrases also change instead of just changing the Drums.

27. Make internal storage faster , currently the internal storage is super slow so please increase its speed.

28. Add a 8-Track sequencer also improve the sequencer , the PSR-51 (Not the F51 just 51) has a 8 track sequncer...... (Dont really remember the PSR E463 but I think it has a 6-Track Sequencer)

29. Polyphony amount (This is just raw number here again) there are Roland Keybaords in this price range (With less features I agree) with 256 note polyphony!! , its ok if the PSR E463successor becomes 50-100 dollars more but I would like to see an upgraded polyphony.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 05:00:12 AM by Mysteriouslog6 »

Offline SciNote

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2021, 05:30:07 AM »
At this point, I'd just like to see the thing released -- or at least some sort of press release giving a basic description.  It's been 3 years since the E463 was released, and still just the same stuff on Yamaha's website.

But I do agree with some of these suggestions.  Certainly, better control of the fills for the styles -- either separate buttons for A and B style sections, or a dedicated fill button that will do a drum break/fill but then still return to the A/B style section you were currently on.

Some more registrations?  Certainly.  Either a couple extra registration buttons, like you said, or use buttons 0 and 9 to provide two extra registration banks, for a total of 10 banks (40 registrations) instead of 8 banks.

Portamento is almost a must, now, since Casio is now including it in their higher-end portable keyboards.  At least program the portamento into some of the synth sounds.

I think we will see more DSP effects, because I believe they have added multiple DSP effects to the E373.

I doubt we'll see things like chord looper or full XG implementation -- might make it too similar to the more expensive SX600.

The ability to freeze the dual voice (and related settings) so that it doesn't all change when changing the main voice would also be very welcome -- I believe the E373 has certain freeze features, so I'm guessing a 50% chance on this being implemented.

I've been hoping for an improved sequencer for years.  I doubt we'll see it now.

But regarding that portamento on the PSR-I500...
It sounds like you have the PSR-I500, and I've known that it has portamento, but as I have checked the manual for that keyboard online, I did see how the only way to switch it on and off is through a cumbersome menu-diving process.  But not only that, the manual does not list portamento as one of the functions saved in a registration.  Is that true?  The portamento CANNOT be saved in a registration?  If so, then I agree -- this all makes the portamento feature of very limited use for live playing.  I was hoping that it was just an oversight that portamento was not listed in the functions saved in a registration, but I doubt it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 05:31:17 AM by SciNote »
Bob

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2021, 06:55:50 PM »
Hi Bob,

Here is a video of an Indian guy demonstrating the portamento function of the i500 on YouTube. I asked him and he told me that the portamento can definitely be stored in a registration memory slot.

Moreover, apparently, you can adjust portamento time, whatever that means.

Hope this helps,

Vinciane

https://youtu.be/xBcYVb9Wjrc

Offline SciNote

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2021, 03:58:11 AM »
Well, if the portamento settings CAN be saved in a registration, then that makes it much more useful.  You could easily apply it to a lead synth sound and store it in a registration, but then have a piano/orchestral sound in another registration with the portamento settings switched off.

The portamento time is simply how long it takes the pitch to slide from one note to another.  With portamento on, if you hit one note, then hit another note, say an octave higher, with a fast portamento time, the pitch will quickly zip from the low note to the high note.  With a slower/longer-time setting, the pitch will more gradually slide from the low note to the high note.

In that video, it does appear that there is maybe a legato function programmed in to the portamento, so that even if it is switched on, if you play a succession of notes discretely, with at least a little dead air between notes, then you don't get the portamento effect.  But if you play the notes smoothly, with no dead air between them, then you do get it.  Or, it could be the other way around -- but either way, I could tell that when he had the portamento on, he was not always getting the effect, and it appears to be based on how he was playing the notes.  This is a good thing -- It allows you to select, on the fly while you are playing, when you get the portamento effect and when you do not get it.
Bob

Offline casiokid

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2021, 04:32:57 AM »
After-touch surely comes in here?

Offline mikf

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2021, 05:18:36 AM »
This is quite a wish list for a $300 keyboard. Could it maybe be just a bit unrealistic :)
Mike

Mysteriouslog6

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2021, 01:10:38 PM »
Hi Bob,

Here is a video of an Indian guy demonstrating the portamento function of the i500 on YouTube. I asked him and he told me that the portamento can definitely be stored in a registration memory slot.

Hope this helps,

Vinciane

Hi here , an indian dude and Yes it is true
You can save the portamento settings to registration , to enable the setting it is deep inside the functions menu which shows that Yamaha isnt very confident with it , but yes it is true.

Mysteriouslog6

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2021, 01:13:26 PM »
At this point, I'd just like to see the thing released -- or at least some sort of press release giving a basic description.  It's been 3 years since the E463 was released, and still just the same stuff on Yamaha's website.

But I do agree with some of these suggestions.  Certainly, better control of the fills for the styles -- either separate buttons for A and B style sections, or a dedicated fill button that will do a drum break/fill but then still return to the A/B style section you were currently on.

Some more registrations?  Certainly.  Either a couple extra registration buttons, like you said, or use buttons 0 and 9 to provide two extra registration banks, for a total of 10 banks (40 registrations) instead of 8 banks.

Portamento is almost a must, now, since Casio is now including it in their higher-end portable keyboards.  At least program the portamento into some of the synth sounds.

I think we will see more DSP effects, because I believe they have added multiple DSP effects to the E373.

I doubt we'll see things like chord looper or full XG implementation -- might make it too similar to the more expensive SX600.

The ability to freeze the dual voice (and related settings) so that it doesn't all change when changing the main voice would also be very welcome -- I believe the E373 has certain freeze features, so I'm guessing a 50% chance on this being implemented.

I've been hoping for an improved sequencer for years.  I doubt we'll see it now.

But regarding that portamento on the PSR-I500...
It sounds like you have the PSR-I500, and I've known that it has portamento, but as I have checked the manual for that keyboard online, I did see how the only way to switch it on and off is through a cumbersome menu-diving process.  But not only that, the manual does not list portamento as one of the functions saved in a registration.  Is that true?  The portamento CANNOT be saved in a registration?  If so, then I agree -- this all makes the portamento feature of very limited use for live playing.  I was hoping that it was just an oversight that portamento was not listed in the functions saved in a registration, but I doubt it.

Me too I would love for the thing to get released too but if they are taking time to improve it I am very happy!

I agree with everything you have to say , Yamaha is forgetting about the E-Series due to the Genos and other higher end devices (My speculation , might be wrong!)

The PSR-I500 can save it to the registration memory (Portamento settings) , sorry for the late reply!

Edit: Yes it is a deep dive through the functions menu , which is disappointing to me as I never knew about the i500 having portamento until I started going through the ENTIRE manual.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 01:18:11 PM by Mysteriouslog6 »

Mysteriouslog6

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2021, 01:09:30 PM »
Hi Bob,

Hope this helps,

Vinciane

Hi Vinciane!

The "Portamento Time" is the amount of time the Portamento effect is played (Maybe in milliseconds) the lesser it is the lesser noticable it is I have kept it as half of my tempo +5 seems to be a nice balance for me.

- Mysteriouslog6

The following users thanked this post: vbdx66

Offline pjd

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2021, 05:51:58 PM »
Hi --

In case anyone missed it, we posted a picture of what could be the PSR-EW425 on this thread:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,60019.msg464789.html#msg464789

Yep, the 76 key model is named "PSR-EW425". There are a few messages on that thread analyzing the picture.

All the best -- pj

Offline bysa77

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2022, 01:46:45 AM »
PSR E-473 Arrived!!!