Author Topic: WiFi/bluetooth  (Read 7564 times)

Offline supersteve

WiFi/bluetooth
« on: August 07, 2019, 09:52:45 PM »
Hi fellow Genos’ers

I am having trouble with my WiFi , what I don’t understand is that the wireless/lan option has disappeared from the menu 2 screen, I noticed this when I updated my laptop to windows 10 and tried setting up YEM , cannot connect to instrument, instrument I’d is loaded and Genos appears in the left hand column. Tried to connect via iPhone and iPad to Genos still no good. Considered buying the Yamaha WiFi dongle £60.00 But bought the MD BT instead (Bluetooth dongle ) I will be honest I have not a clue as to why 3 iPads and an iPhone can’t detect it , I have downloaded the ap for it and updated the version to the latest, is there something I need to set in the Midi menu to operate it ? Instructions are poor but a flashing red and green light shows powered up should be constant red when connected but not for me any ideas anyone. All other WiFi items are working brilliantly in the house have good WiFi connections all round bar the Genos.
Thanks in advance Steve

Offline supersteve

Re: WiFi/bluetooth
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 11:48:53 AM »
Update
              Now have the Bluetooth working, no idea why The WiFi option in the menu has disappeared . But at least I am able to connect to the Genos again.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 02:53:01 PM »
Update
              Now have the Bluetooth working, no idea why The WiFi option in the menu has disappeared . But at least I am able to connect to the Genos again.

I once unleashed Genos to repaint the surface. And I found out that Genos's wifi is not an integrated board. It is a removable USB module, it can be removed. So, can you see if your USB Wifi has slipped out of the plug? Hope it useful for you.

Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

The following users thanked this post: supersteve

Offline supersteve

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 06:40:51 PM »
Hi snicker

Many thanks for photo most useful, it is a thought to consider but the Genos
Has not ventured from its stand more than once to decorate the room. I might have a nose inside one day and take a look. It’s one of them type problems Is it hardware or software  ? A peak inside might solve the Mystery.
Thanks again Steve

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 09:03:20 AM »
I once unleashed Genos to repaint the surface. And I found out that Genos's wifi is not an integrated board. It is a removable USB module, it can be removed. So, can you see if your USB Wifi has slipped out of the plug? Hope it useful for you.

Hi,

I am from India and was probably the first one to buy Genos in my Country. I was shipped a unit without the wifi module.  When I see the picture, i assume that this module can simply be added by a simple USB port within the system. I guess I should ask Yamaha firstly why did they ship my unit without wifi and secondly, they should send me one now if they missed it by design. There is no reason why my unit should not have a wifi

Regards

Anand
India

Offline Misu

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 11:09:11 AM »
Hi,

Looking on this photo seems to be indeed Chinese work, that circuit plate sanding on the not vertical position, and on the down zone left end right side, left is fixed on the rib and right is far away, and the quality of cable (aesthetically speaking)..... what can I say, <there are not differences>

Regards
Mihai
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 01:50:38 PM by Misu »
PSR SX-900; PA 1000; AKX 10

Cheshire Chris

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 01:47:33 PM »
Anand, it says in the Genos manual that WiFi is not available in all countries, so perhaps India is one of the countries where the Genos doesn't have WiFi? It's probably some regulatory issue.

Best wishes,

Chris

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 08:17:09 PM »
The wireless board appears to be the UD-WL01 without its plastic case. I suppose one could buy a UD-WL01 and fit it into a Genos.

All wireless devices must be approved by an official authority for the region/country. Yamaha needs to obtain acceptance in order to ship a product with wireless LAN installed qnd operational.

Hope this info helps -- pj

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 12:11:50 AM »
... I am having trouble with my WiFi , what I don’t understand is that the wireless/lan option has disappeared from the menu 2 screen, ...

Hi Steve,

you can check the internal Wi-Fi adapter by using the internal TEST PROGRAM:

Starting Up Test mode
There are two methods to start up the Test mode on GENOS.

Method 1
1) While pressing keys [C#2], [F2], [G#2] (C#2 major chord, keys near the DIRECT ACCESS button) simultaneously, turn on the power [Standby/On] switch.
2) When Test mode started successfully, “TEST” is shown on the LCD.

Method 2
1) While pressing the buttons REGISTRATION MEMORY [1], REGISTRATION MEMORY [3] and REGISTRATION MEMORY [5] simultaneously, turn on the [ ] (Standby/On) switch.
2) When Test mode started successfully, “TEST” is shown on the LCD.

Selection/execution of Test item "048 Wi-Fi Adaptor Check"
1) Select item "048 Wi-Fi Adaptor Check" with the TEMPO [ - ] / [ + ] buttons OR Data dial.
2) Press the [START/STOP] button to execute the test item. For details, refer to the following explanation:

048 Wi-Fi Adaptor Check
Checks the built-in USB wireless LAN adaptor for connection, destination (U/Other), version and MAC address.
1) Press the [START/STOP] button to have the result shown on the LCD. (It will take about 15 seconds.)

If no problem is found :
    Destination : U
    Version : *.*.*
    MAC Address : **:**:**:**:**:**

If the adaptor is not connected: Not Connected
If the USB wireless LAN adaptor fails to operate properly, “NG” is shown on the LCD.
   If the version is not obtained: Version Failed
   If the destination is not obtained: Destination Failed
   If the MAC address is not obtained: MAC Address Failed
   If the PING check fails: PING Check Failed

2) Press the [START/STOP] button to exit the TEST item.

Finally select item "061 Test Exit" and press [START / STOP] button to exit the Test mode and return to the normal mode. (Genos will be restarted automatically.)

NOTE: Never turn off the power until the Home display appears. Doing so may cause a malfunction.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 12:20:33 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: supersteve, pjd

Offline supersteve

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 06:41:41 PM »
Hi Chris

Many thanks for the assistance

That was a very interesting test procedure, followed it to the tee and the result came back “not connected”

Next move to have a look inside , looking at the above picture I assume it is in the base of the Genos, not sure if all the slider knobs and dials have to be removed to gain access after removing the screws from the base.
Thanks again for your time
Regards Steve

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 11:52:07 PM »
Hi Chris

Many thanks for the assistance

That was a very interesting test procedure, followed it to the tee and the result came back “not connected”

Next move to have a look inside , looking at the above picture I assume it is in the base of the Genos, not sure if all the slider knobs and dials have to be removed to gain access after removing the screws from the base.
Thanks again for your time
Regards Steve

Hi Steve,

thanks for your detailed feedback!

The knobs and dials do NOT need to be removed, but you have to remove 28 screws (and many other screws MUST NOT be removed!)

Then the Upper Case can be lifted up. (The red mark in the picture is the Wi-Fi adaptor.)

You can PM me, then I will send you detailed information about disassambling/reassembling the Genos Upper/Lower Case. (It is not quite as easy as it may look in the picture ... ;))

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:59:08 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline supersteve

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 04:31:34 PM »
Hello Chris
Don’t know how to thank you enough, everything went to plan via your precise instructions, I was surprised to find the cable was still attached to pcb and not even loose, I then traced the cable back and found it was loose under the cover after removing the cover found the connector was not even plugged in see photo. Reconnected and made sure it clicked and locked in, all is now working see (2nd photo). Amazing enough though when I touched the WiFi option on the menu it had kept all my setting and stated connected. Absolutely brilliant if you were round the corner I would buy you a beer 🍺

Thanks again Steve

[attachment deleted by admin]

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Offline pjd

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 09:45:46 PM »
Great picture of the digital logic board, BTW. The TI chip in the lower left is the main CPU -- an ARM Sitara processor. The two integrated circuits on the right, YMC-832, are the two SWP70 tone generator components. The Winbond parts are the memory for the SWP70s.

This is where all the heavy computation takes place, folks!

-- pj

Offline voodoo

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 03:21:24 PM »
Great picture of the digital logic board, BTW. The TI chip in the lower left is the main CPU -- an ARM Sitara processor. The two integrated circuits on the right, YMC-832, are the two SWP70 tone generator components. The Winbond parts are the memory for the SWP70s.

This is where all the heavy computation takes place, folks!

-- pj

Wow, thanks for these explanations.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D