Author Topic: Genosys software  (Read 4388 times)

Offline jugge

Genosys software
« on: August 07, 2019, 11:05:21 AM »
Anyone tested this software for Genos availible for MacOS?
I dont use MacOS and there is not a windows version available - at least not now -  so I haven't been able to tested it myself.
Curious to know if any MAC users tested it and can comment on it's features. The price seems a little steep though, but there is a demo version available.
http://www.sonicimmersion.com/

/Jorgen
Welcome to Yamaha Beats. Genos and MODX covers on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9yKCzqlOhkulwHFF6P-_Vw

Offline valimaties

Re: Genosys software
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 10:02:20 PM »
These kind of software is for those which don't know how to sing on a keyboard, because I don't understand the purpose of such a software!  ???

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline markstyles

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 04:24:55 PM »
I downloaded demo, couldn't get it to run on my 2015 Mac Pro..  OSX 10.14.4 

I got a message

An exception of class NiObjectException was not handled. The application must shut down.

I contacted the company, hopefully they can fix the problem..   It looks to me, somewhat similar to a program that was out some years back for Tyros. 

I perused the manual briefly, he doesn't give an overview.  I suspect it gives you more control over how you use your Genos.  He mentions 'recording into his app.  which might allow you to use different styles for different instruments, more easily than editing in Genos.  If it is a small company (one guy) hard to predict how things will go..  I've bought several 'cutting edge' pieces of software, you have to be patient, while they re-code.  Sometimes it's OK, you develop a rapport with the owner. other times, you just want the product to work, and don't want to waste time.  I have no knowledge of this software, or company. So how they respond is speculation..  He obviously is a 'Genos' fan, to have taken the time to write this software.  I'm willing to go along for a while.

You can do quite a bit, by using your computer and a good DAW to get styles and music Genos isn't capable of.  You might create songs with 12 or more style generated tracks.  cut/paste/hand edit parts. etc. 

However this is speculation, without being able to use the app.   It does seem pricey.  but until one knows what it can do.  If you're adept with your computer DAW. you can sync Genos up and do a huge amount.

If/when I get a demo working, I will post results.   I assume it's a small company.  Often they stick to one platform only.. (Mac) because of work it converting code to work with a different platform, but you never know.  You could write and ask if a PC version might be available.

This is a screenshot of main window. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 04:29:30 PM by markstyles »

Bachus

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 06:28:47 PM »
These kind of software is for those which don't know how to sing on a keyboard, because I don't understand the purpose of such a software!  ???

Its a chord sequencer...

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 12:01:01 AM »
You could write and ask if a PC version might be available.

I did that already. The answer is "no." Frankly, I think recording MIDI on the Genos, and then importing it to a decent DAW is far better - assuming you can get by all the mumbo-jumbo SysEx messages from the Genos.

We have waited for decades to get Yamaha to offer up a decent DAW just for recording the Genos, Tyros, and PSR keyboards. So far, nothing.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Roy_T

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 01:00:05 AM »
Lee

Does there appear to be any advantage to using one, or more, of the Yamaha specific utilities from Michael Bedesem, or Jorgen Sorenson, or Heiko Plate (eg. PSRUTI), or Etienne Volbragt (eg. MixMaster), or Peter Wierzba (eg. Producer), or even the old XGWorks, over a generic (ie. non-Yamaha specific) DAW?

Roy
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 01:42:36 AM by Roy_T »

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 03:57:09 AM »
Hi Roy --

The PSR-related tools that you mentioned have the advantage of supporting PSR-specific features like DSP effect types. You need to craft your own SysEx messages, etc. when using a generic DAW. The PSR-related tools also support the special Yamaha proprietary chunks in MIDI files (e.g. CASM, OTS, etc.) Generic DAWs usually throw these chunks away and ignore them.

Hope this helps -- pj

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 12:49:56 PM »
Lee
Does there appear to be any advantage to using one, or more, of the Yamaha specific utilities from Michael Bedesem, or Jorgen Sorenson, or Heiko Plate (eg. PSRUTI), or Etienne Volbragt (eg. MixMaster), or Peter Wierzba (eg. Producer), or even the old XGWorks, over a generic (ie. non-Yamaha specific) DAW?
Roy
Hi Roy,

I've only used a few of the software packages you mentioned and they are all excellent. When choosing the tool, you still need to ask yourself, "What am I trying to achieve?" These software packages may just do the trick. Of course, Cubase has extensive editing capabilities, if that's what you need. As PJ mentioned, Cubase is not the be-all and end-all of software for recording the Genos. After you get your MIDI recording loaded in and all the little quirks satisfied, you can work wonders. In the end, you may not be any further ahead using Cubase.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 12:51:31 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.