Author Topic: Vocal harmony settings  (Read 5122 times)

Offline OmbDave

Vocal harmony settings
« on: August 07, 2019, 07:45:15 PM »
Hi Everyone, after recording a multi track midi, I use a spare track to record say strings which I will use for the vocal harmoniser to use and I then use the mixer to set the volume to zero so I won,t hear the strings. This enables me to have V Harmony always switched on but I only get the vocal harmonies on the parts I have recorded the strings on. I choose the VH I want (eg Male Choir), the balance between lead vocal and harmonies,  the track number I've used for the VH track and then save them to the midi.
This works great for live playing except that when you pick the next midi to play and you have still got the TALK button on then the chosen midi does not have its VH settings correct, instead I get the VH settings from the previous midi played. This only happens when the TALK button is on.
BTW this is on my current keyboard a Tyros3 but I am about to buy a Genos and am wondering if it will behave the same as the T3.
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Dave
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
Pearl Drums, Paiste & Avedis Zildjian Cymbals
HK Audio Polar10

Offline OmbDave

Re: Vocal harmony settings
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 09:17:31 PM »
Help please, if anyone is able to answer this question then please do as I am about to purchase a Genos soon
Thanks in hope
Dave
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
HK Audio Polar10

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 12:36:03 PM »
Hi Dave,

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to accomplish. Are you recording MIDI internally on your T3 or a DAW? (A DAW is an external program loaded on a Mac or PC - you probably knew that ;).)

Are you recording backing tracks for yourself or are you recording in MIDI so you can edit your vocals as MIDI tracks? Perhaps you can clarify this and give us more information about your workflow. One thing is highly likely - whatever you're trying to do on your T3, you will be able to do the same on the Genos, only better :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline OmbDave

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 01:52:19 PM »
Hi Lee, thank you for replying. I make my own multi track midi files on the Tyros3 either using internal styles or by recording each track one at a time. After quantising and remixing I ujse any vacant track which is left to record chords (say with a string sound) just for where I want my vocal harmonies to come in and then I set that track volume to zero as I don't need it in the arrangement but only as the track for the vocal harmony to use. Then still in recording mode I choose the vocal harmony type (eg Male Choir), set the balance of the harmonies to a bit lower than my lead vocal and tell the harmoniser which track to use for the harmonies ( ie the track I've recorded the zero volume strings on). I then save those settings to the midi file and all is well. I can then choose the midi file at a gig and leave the vocal harmony switch on and I get the harmoniser just where I want it.
The problem I get is that when I'm talking to the audience I have the talk button on and if while I'm talking i select the next midi file to play it does not load the vocal harmony settings but instead I get the harmony settings from the previous midi file played. This does not happen if the talk button is off so it's not a major problem but in trying to make my show slick I sometimes forget to turn the talk button off before selecting the next song.
Lee, I hope this drivel is understandable and perhaps not many people use the vocal harmoniser but it just bugs me and I'm hoping the Genos that I'll soon be getting won't have this fault.
Cheers
Dave
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 01:58:15 PM by OmbDave »
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
HK Audio Polar10

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 04:22:21 PM »
I get you now, Dave. Wow, I never knew you could set the vocal harmonizer to another track! That's brilliant!

As far as I know, the Genos is set up the same way. You would have to disengage the Talk button before loading the next MIDI file. Perhaps someone has a way of embedding a SysEx command at the beginning of the next MIDI song that disengages the Talk button. That's the only thing I can think of, other than to just get in the habit of turning it off :(.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline OmbDave

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 07:28:05 PM »
Ok Lee thank you for that, I'll just have to get the old brain to try and remember to turn it off. I really appreciate your help Fred and yes it's a great help to be able to program the V Harmony to a track so that you can just play the chords where you need the harmony and when playing  a live sound over the top I don't have to make sure that my left hand is playing the right chord for the 3 or 4 part harmony.
Cheers Lee
Dave
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
HK Audio Polar10

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 08:11:18 PM »
Glad to help, Dave. Let's leave this topic live. Someone may know what the SysEx code is for the Talk button to be toggled off. If you insert it at the beginning of every song, you'd have it made in the shade :).

Offline OmbDave

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 10:04:20 PM »
Great idea Lee let's do that and thanks again
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
HK Audio Polar10

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 10:40:12 PM »
Hi Dave

Are you using a Registration along with the midi file?

If you are, are you using all 8 (or 10) of the registration Slots?

Offline OmbDave

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 11:26:48 AM »
Hi Lee, I'm sorry I mistakenly called you Fred earlier, yet another of my senior moments. In answer to the above, I don't use any registrations as I only play live one selected sound over the midi track to give me something to play LIVE over the midi. I record the midi tracks at a slower tempo because I'm still learning to play properly. Perhaps I should use registrations to save my most used choices it's just that I'm self-taught and never really understood what registrations were for.
Once again thanks for your help Lee they have been most useful
Cheers
Dave
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
HK Audio Polar10

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 11:55:28 AM »
I always say that registrations are the heart of any keyboard as you can prepare anything you want to use in advance and also set various applications such as Pedals Transpose Midi Song Audio Song Style Tempo. Well worth learning how to do this.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 12:37:27 PM »
Hi Dave

You could use a registration as I do to control your mic’s setting.

I have saved at position #1 of my registration set up with the MIC’s volume set a Zero. I use this when I need to cough or speak to someone or take a drink of water.

I have saved at position #2 of the registration set up with the MIC’s volume set at 105 (up from 100) this is so when I speak to the audience I will be clearly heard. Also I have this position set with NO reverb on the mic (or any thing else).

I don't use the Actual Talk tab but the I am just removing the REVERB to create a TALK effect using the VOCAL tab. This might get you what you are wanting.

Regards
Drake

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:44:15 PM by DrakeM »

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 06:56:30 PM »
Hi Lee, I'm sorry I mistakenly called you Fred earlier, yet another of my senior moments.
No worries, OmbDave. We have a "Fred" on this forum and he too is very wise ;D. You're not alone either. I too have had a lot of birthdays that make me seem a bit off at times.

On a serious note, try to learn about the Registration functions. They're pretty straight forward and using them opens up a huge new horizon on the Genos that you never dreamed possible. Their architecture dates back to the early MC organs (and maybe earlier). In 1982, I bought an MC-600. It had a single registration button on which you could store an entire voice set. Since then Yamaha has added a million things you can achieve with them.

Offline OmbDave

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 08:35:34 PM »
Hi Drake, that's a brilliant idea and well worth me doing to avoid using the talk button, well worked out Drake. As Eileen suggested also ( thank you Eileen) I really need to get into registrations so I might as well start on the Tyros so that I'm already getting used to them for when the Genos arrives in a few weeks (when the money comes through)
I want to say to all of you a very big thanks for making this newbie feel welcome and for such great advice already as this is my first time on a forum
As I've said before, I'm not a great keyboard player but I'm really trying to improve and I will soon post a self made midi with vocals of my favourite song ever (The Eagles - Desperado) it has some minor mistakes but it was the best I could do as the chords are quite tough for me.
Thanks everyone
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
HK Audio Polar10

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2019, 01:42:40 AM »
Good choice with Desperado, OmbDave. Let me know when your Genos arrives. I can show you how to play the third of the scale in the bass line just the way the Eagles do. Playing the third of the scale in the bass line adds interest and variety to some songs.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 01:43:53 AM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline OmbDave

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 03:18:40 PM »
Many thanks Lee, I will be very grateful to take up your kind offer when the Genos finally arrives.
Cheers
Dave
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
HK Audio Polar10