Author Topic: Buying a pre-owned Tyros 5  (Read 8449 times)

O2breather

Buying a pre-owned Tyros 5
« on: August 06, 2019, 07:50:48 AM »
I want to buy a pre-owned Tyros 5. What are the specific signs/problems/flaws to look for indicating that the instrument has been heavily/professionally used/abused and should be a definite No-No to buy it?

Offline Robert van Weersch

Re: Buying a pre-owned Tyros 5
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 09:13:45 AM »
The way an instrument looks, is not necessarily an indication for its state. My T5 has quite some scratches on the body, due to frequent transportation and stage usage. And very bad paint by Yamaha... But the connectors, keybed, display, buttons etc. are all in perfect working order.

So you could look for external damaging like scratches, but I think that is not important. I'd test the machine on the following aspects:
  • Do all connectors work (line-out, pedal switches, mic, USB etc.)
  • Do all keys work, touch responsive and after-touch
  • Do all buttons, controllers and lights work
  • Is the display error-free
  • Does the internal harddrive work
  • And finally: is the sound correct
By the way, I've been using my T5 semi-professional for 4 years (twice a week transported, rehearsels, stage gigs etc) but technically speaking, it is still in 100% great shape.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 10:02:53 AM »
I purchased a used T5 8 months ago. No issues with it. If you like to use expansion packs you need the flash module, so you must ask if this is installed. Or you can just buy it afterwards. I had the chance to try my Tyros before buying, and I bought it from my music store. That made me feel safer.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 09:56:08 AM »
I'm sorry, but I don't understand how your reply relates to the question of the topic starter?
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76

whataguy

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 08:19:50 PM »
If the person you're buying from talks really fast and jumps around in topics watch out, look for dents or deep gashes in cabinet as the T5 is not a basketball and won't bounce. If it was used professionally there should be wear marks is about 3-4 areas that are mostly used and some areas should show hardly any wear. Write down the questions you want to ask so you don't forget something. Also, GREAT question, the answers you receive will help a lot of members who are contemplating a similar used purchase and please publish what you asked and answers you received.  Bona Fortuna . . . Don in MI

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 08:50:47 PM »
Buy if you can from a reputable and experienced dealer.  Call one and tell him what you are looking for. You may pay a little more, maybe not, but it reduces risk.
Mike

Offline Ingar

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 02:17:32 PM »
I want to buy a pre-owned Tyros 5. What are the specific signs/problems/flaws to look for indicating that the instrument has been heavily/professionally used/abused and should be a definite No-No to buy it?

My Tyros5 had an error on screen from time to time saying that Vocal Harmony and mic is not working. And it does not. The mic was dead.  Yamaha responded that it was common for Tyros 5. Just turn off, and on again and everything will work fine was the Message. I brought this up in here as well, and several responded that their Tyros were like that too. Now after three years of use, the message is very rare. Maybe a few times a year only.
Regards Ingar

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 02:42:10 PM »
That's a common issue. My T5 does that once a month or so.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76