Author Topic: Who is thinking about purchasing the SX and why? ('I do not': pls.don't respond)  (Read 121267 times)

Offline ton37

I am curious if and why any forummer is thinking about purchasing the new SX900/700 keyboard.
I certainly think about it!
A few important considerations for me:
  • - a larger expansion memory
    - the touch screen
    - the chord looper
    - wave and mp3
    - the joystick
    - 2 pedal connections
    - 3 R voices

2 question marks:
  • - I surely will visit the shop how it sounds. I am satisfied if it sounds the same or slightly better than my S975
    - The final price (possibly with trade-in)?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 04:32:35 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Ryszard Bieszczad, ppkeyboard

Offline J. Larry

Count me in to trade-up from the S975.  Already talking with my dealer about a trade for the SX 900.  Why?  I’m a sucker for the latest technology, styles, and voices.  I want it; I need it; got to have it; can’t wait.

Offline ton37

LOL, I like your honesty @Larry ;-))
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Enildo

I am curious if and why any forummer is thinking about purchasing the new SX900/700 keyboard.
    - the touch screen
    - the chord looper
    - wave and mp3
    - the joystick
    - 2 pedal connections
    - 3 R voices

2 question marks:
  • - I surely will visit the shop how it sounds. I am satisfied if it sounds the same or slightly better than my S975
    - The final price (possibly with trade-in)?

*Bluetooth
*Playlist
*Assignable buttons
*Sub Outs
*Half bar fill
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline metcam

Yes: As a Backup for Genos (I will keep Genos). I like chord looper ,style reset ,touch screen, Tuning separate....(TERCA)...

NO only : If Custom voices not possible to mix with internal/external samples. In this case I can't load sets from Genos I use right now.This options was not possible in S775/975 and I hope Yamaha changed that.

Regards
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 05:39:23 PM by metcam »
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Offline Ingar

Yes, if I the internal speakers are powerful enough for use on small gigs without PA system.  I don`t want to drag that around. I think the internal sound maybee should be more rear facing. The bassport vil give more respons, but I`m not shure about the high end without a PA.

Anyone have some thoughts about it?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 09:23:42 PM by Ingar »

Offline andyg

I'm tempted. The big things for me are the 3 right hand voices, style reset, 1/2 bar fill, touch screen interface and increased expansion memory. None of the stuff like Bluetooth, Playlists etc interest me at all. What I want is something that's nearer to Genos for playing live, and playing live with my own backing tracks. So it looks like the SX900 would fit the bill very nicely.

However, this would be a teaching instrument and sadly, it would spend much of its time in use in music schools etc, on temporary loan for an exam student, or tucked up in its bag. My S970 does that task just fine, so it's hard to justify the expense for something that I'm not going to get to play at home that much.... :(

But once I've seen it and played it, it may become irresistible!  ;)
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline Patrick

Yes for me, i've ordered one yesterday; i've to wait now for 4 or 5 months; i'm always buying a new keyboard every 5 years as i don't want to have problems wih my keyboard when i'm playing; but this year i've had to change the mother board of my S970 (it was my first problem with a KB); Now it's great again, the S970 is a magic KB and i can play lots of songs and have the sounds i want! I just also want to buy the SX 900 for the touch screen, the chords looper, joystick,  and much more on board memory; I'wish all a nice weekend, all the best Patrick
 ;)

Offline stephenm52

I will more than likely move from the s970 to the SX900, I’ll keep the Genos.   

Why the SX900?
Touch Screen
Programmable buttons
Playlist
Ability to control lead sheets with Songbook Plus via registrations  and vice versa
I too am a sucker for the latest in technology
Wave and MP3
3 right hand voices

We have a 2nd home and I need an arranger there for when I play gigs in that location.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 11:54:59 PM by stephenm52 »
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Yes, but only if the keybed is a big improvement over the current PSR.

Offline LaHawk

Yes Definitely! But then again, my current arranger keyboard is a PSR-3000. That would be a major upgrade.
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Currently have the PSR-S950 which I really haven’t played much over the last few years. I mainly play my Korg Pa4x.  Had to put my Korg in for a repair, so was without it for a few weeks, so started to play around with my psr. Really enjoyed the ease of finding styles that suited songs I like to play.
There’s obviously been some great upgrade functions  and features added in the last few models, so I’ll probably be selling my 950 and buying the sx900.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

ekurburski

I'm a lot like Larry.  I love my 3000 but have been waiting for the latest upgrade b4 moving up.  I think I can wait for Christmas though. But will diffently move up then.

Offline larrygreen1

Two of the main reasons that I would buy is the 3 right hand sounds which we have waited for for an awful long time on a smaller Yamaha keyboard,but the main reason for me (which nobody has seemed to have mentioned) is the weight!!!.I haven't bothered trading up from my T5 to the Genos as I do not require a 76 note keyboard just one that is lighter for carrying around.I really hope the keybed feels better though!!!.

The following users thanked this post: cliffordleo1965

Offline ton37

I see some similarities with the previous posters. I was quite satisfied with the S770, a very nice keyboard. Unfortunately, it had too little expansion memory. Hence the switch to a nicely priced used S975. Also a fantastic keyboard! Now that the SX900 appears to have even more expansion and user memory, it makes it very attractive. When I had the Genos, I really enjoyed working with a touchscreen. Glad that is also on the SX900. The Tyros 5 and the Genos both had 76 keys and took up a lot of space in my (small) home studio. It turns out that 61 keys are enough for me. I already have trouble finding the right key, so less is better ;-)) I rarely use the +/- octave key. If necessary, I save it in a Reg.mem. The weight is no problem for me as it always stays in the studio. As I already mentioned, the 3-R Voices, Joystick and 2 pedal connections are very welcome. I don't know the Chord Looper and Style Reset, but it is a nice bonus. I have no problem with the keybed, allthought it is a bit loud. The SX900-keybed seems to be slightly better. All fine. I hope once aftertouch is coming to the SX-line?
Just like @Ekurburski said: nice gift to find a SX900 under the X-mas tree! Fingers crossed ;-))
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 03:52:56 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Toril S

Santa Claus will have a hard time getting it down the chimney though!😀😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline EileenL

I think it is a bit more weighty than the 970. I read some where that it is a couple of kilo's lighter than Genos.

DonM

Currently have the PSR-S950 which I really haven’t played much over the last few years. I mainly play my Korg Pa4x.  Had to put my Korg in for a repair, so was without it for a few weeks, so started to play around with my psr. Really enjoyed the ease of finding styles that suited songs I like to play.
There’s obviously been some great upgrade functions  and features added in the last few models, so I’ll probably be selling my 950 and buying the sx900.
Hi Rikki,
Great to see you here after all these years!  Welcome.  I will most likely get the sx900 because I can.  :)

Offline ton37

Santa Claus will have a hard time getting it down the chimney though!😀😀
Mmm..Toril that's a good point to pay attention to: I have to hurry to enlarge the chimney to 432 x 131 mm  ;D ;D
My best regards,
Ton

Offline gogo

I think it is a bit more weighty than the 970. I read some where that it is a couple of kilo's lighter than Genos.
Genos - 13kg
PSR SX900 - 11.5kg

Numbers taken from the official website of Yamaha

Offline vbdx66

Not a big difference really.

As far as weight is concerned, the main interest of the PSR SX900 vs. Genos is that for a small audience, you would not need external speakers so the whole set would be more portable.

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline motekmusic

Hello,

Yes, am 90 to 10 split on going for trading in the s975 for the new sx. 
As a genos owner, am completely sold on those strings and drums .
The addition of a 3rd layer and possible more powerful speakers is frosting on the cake.
The one thing that have trouble with on the Genos is the playlist function and organizing my midi files.   Will have to have a
complete detailed tutorial on that so it will work for me on the sx900.   
Having a chord looper, the style reset, the joystick, assignables and the 2 knobs would not have been enough to make a change.
The genos is too cumbersome to take out of the house, so use the s975.   With the new sx can have cake and eat it too.
Perhaps will not see it here till after next January.     Called my dealer last week to tell him of the new product,, 1st he has heard.
Hope can get a good trade in price.

cheers
elaine

\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

beykock

Hi Elaine :

Very interesting to hear you have the intention to order an SX900.
I would be very grateful if you let me know how much your dealer is willing to pay you back for your S975.

Thank you very much, Babette

Offline pedro_pedroc

Hello.

I don't like the joystick!!!

I have a Genos now, but I miss the two modulation wheels of my old Tyros 4.

For organ/synth sounds playing, pressing the hold button while moving the joystick is a hard task to do in a simple (and very quick) moviment... I don't like.

Pedro

Offline vaazoo350

YES, I will buy 900sx,  and keep my 910 . I will have to train myself for computer work to load yem etc

Offline gogo

To answer the question of the topic - Because Yamaha has recently announced quite a lot of new instruments, I am 99% sure I’ll plan a visit to 2020 Frankfurter Musikmesse, where I’ll gather personal impression of the PSR sx, the new CVPs and the new CLPs that are to be released next year.

My gripe is that both psr sx lack a S.Art yodelling voice and the one available from the expansions is nothing special. I am tempted by the vast number of voices found on sx900. However, I need to hear it in person.

Offline Joe H

I did a search for an SF2 yodelling voice sample but couldn't find one.  I suspect it's not in big demand.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline luiscarlos2000

I, as a visually impaired user of the PSR keyboards (I have a psr-a2000, a psr-a3000 and a psr-s710), Don't know if I have to buy the newest keyboard, cause despite I know that theres tuch screen based UI, for me is kinda complicated when E.G. trying to install an expansion pack or see the files in the USB. Well not kinda complicated when you memorize the possitions of the actions on the screen, but I Don't Know if the next oriental keyboard has the same features as the new PSR-SX900 keyboard which at the time of the announcement is not in my country yet.
Past Yamaha keyboards that I now don't use: PSR-S710, PSR-A2000
Current Yamaha keyboard I use: PSR-A3000
Next, or future, Yamaha keyboard I will use: PSR-A5000

Offline Keyboardist

I'm considering the SX after some of the listed specs by Yamaha; Touch screen; better weighty key bed vs light like previous models but not too heavy. increased voices 1337 Voices, including 252 Super Articulation Voices, 24 Organ Flutes! Voices. 56 Drum/SFX kits and some new styles 525 Styles, including 463 Pro Styles, 46 Session Styles, 10 DJ Styles and 6 Freeplay Styles to have some fun with.
Three right hand voices options now ,larger memory,higher quality audio dacs 32 bit now which should equal a little better sound quality.Sub output to now.
Sounds good and an upgrade from some older models.
Its like a little baby geno's but at a lower decent price.

Craig "Keyboardist"
Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page

Offline manuel

I already order mine, great to have a back up for my Genos, and also for small gigs, or rehearsals with the speakers built in....in addition of couple features that even Genos do not have...

Will be a great addition to my gear. !!!

Manuel
My 2 Cents

Manuel

Offline hans1966

I think that the SX900 will arrive in my country in 2020 between the months of March and April, which gives me time to save from now, however I plan to keep the S975 as a backup keyboard. Greetings. Hans
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 04:12:49 AM by hans1966 »
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline steakikan

I'm interested in replacing my S910 (especially now having Yamaha Montage) and jumping on Genos is just too expensive. The chord looper is one of the feature I'm really interested when playing combo with Montage.

edit: Just realise they have the reset accompaniment feature, that will be very useful especially when you accompany the older member of church congregation.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 07:26:57 AM by steakikan »

Offline Danny1972

- the touch screen
    - the chord looper
    - wave and mp3
    - the joystick
    - 2 pedal connections
    - 3 R voices

I've got one on pre order. A couple of things on your list I would consider important especially larger memory & 3 voices, but for me the main thing is the ability & compatibility to more styles especially from my T4 as I want to eventually down size because I don't have much room. I like the idea of touch screen (finally) although I hope that access to everything isn't restricted or exclusive to it and would still want some button functionality left.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 03:26:19 PM by Danster72 »

Offline ton37

Now that more is known about the SX900, I have listed for myself what I think is important / less important (1-10) for the SX900. Because I am convinced that I am going to purchase the SX900, I have sold my S975 privately to have my hands free when negotiating with the dealer when purchasing the SX900. Of course I want to feel and hear it first, but I don't expect any problems there. The sound recordings on (mainly Indonesian) videos sound promising!

1- the touch screen
2- the chord looper
3- the joystick
4- 2 pedal connections
5- a larger expansion memory
6- 3 R voices
7- Playlist
8- Better Keybed
9- Assignable buttons
10- style reset

Bonus:
- wave and mp3
- Sub Outs
- Half Bar Fill
- Touchscreen brightness adjustable

Remarque:
- I'm curious what the soundquality will be. I think it will be slightly improved, thanks to the improved Audio Dacs 32 bits (Whatever that mean). That's a matter of going to listen in the shop with good headphones!

Just my own personal 2 cents..... (That is what is left when I have bought the SX) ;)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 07:47:28 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Enildo

Hello peoples
Who wants to watch this video, from this time he begins to show some details of sx900 compared to the s975.

https://youtu.be/gS2PsTFTlw8?t=3698

Enildo

sunster

Hi this is my first post here and I'm very much considering the sx900. Having owned quite a few arrangers over the years and I just sold my Korg PA1000 I guess the sx900 is a good upgrade and Yamaha has finally brought something fresh to the lineup and not a 970 975 upgrade. The Korg Pa1000 Issa great board and sounds awesome. But at the end I realise I'm totally a Yamaha person and just couldn't get to grips with the Korg OS. So yes I am waiting for the sx900 to arrive and interested to know how it will be priced in India. One of my main gripes with the s970 were the onboard speakers where the Korg Pa1000 was a definite upgrade. The sx900 looks fantastic on paper and sounds great on the YouTube demos but I will definitely try it out before I buy it. Excited and waiting.

Offline ton37

I've heard from my (NL)-dealer that the SX's are in his shop half september …. He will give me a mail when they arrived... For sure I will be there ASAP  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Enildo

Hello Everybody
Has anyone seen the latest official Yamaha video about the SX900?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu7oCEFVKDY

Enildo

Offline ton37

Hi Enildo: From Yamaha no new video's were presented, as far as I know. All those 'old' ones (2 aug. 2019) are from Martin Harris. The most new ones (reviews, demo's are from Indonesian/Vietnamese users) Thank you  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Enildo

Hi Enildo: From Yamaha no new video's were presented, as far as I know. All those 'old' ones (2 aug. 2019) are from Martin Harris. The most new ones (reviews, demo's are from I!ndonesian/Vietnamese users) Thank you  ;)

You are Welcome!

Enildo

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ton37

Mmm.. The World Wide Web .. I guess a employee of the Indonesian Yamaha Distributor had forgotten to add this one on their channel on YT and did it today  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 09:33:05 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline EileenL

It is on the official Yamaha site and uses an app called Chord Tracker. Danny boy is one of the demo songs.

The following users thanked this post: MIKEP