Author Topic: Official Press Release: "new drum kits derived from Revo!"  (Read 8123 times)

Offline voodoo

Official Press Release: "new drum kits derived from Revo!"
« on: August 02, 2019, 01:50:11 PM »
I found the following official announcement text from Yamaha:

https://de.yamaha.com/de/news_events/2019/yamaha-debuts-its-new-psr-sx-series-the-psr-sx700-and-psr-sx900.html

It gives one clarification:

as well as new drum kits (derived from the Revo! Drums of Genos)

This explains that the new drum kits have the same names as the Revo! drum kits, but they don't use wave cycling.

Uli
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 02:01:04 PM by voodoo »
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

The following users thanked this post: Eric, B

Offline voodoo

Re: Official Press Release: "derived from Revo!"
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 01:57:34 PM »
YAMAHA DEBUTS ITS NEW PSR-SX SERIES – THE PSR-SX700 AND PSR-SX900

RELLINGEN (August, 1st 2019) — True to its pioneering status in digital workstation technology, Yamaha released the first two flagships within its brand new PSR-SX series: The PSR-SX700 and PSR-SX900. Based on the PSR-S series, both models have been completely redesigned and come with a wide array of exciting new features for even more playing, composition and songwriting possibilities.

Visually, the stylish and intriguing PSR-SX700 stands out with its clear lines and dynamic form. Designed to offer a maximum of playing enjoyment, the PSR-SX700 comes equipped with a broad palette of features and functions for more musical inspiration and creative exploration. The new FSB keyboard, complete with 61 keys offers players remarkable comfort and nuanced expression, thanks to its heavier initial key resistance and greater key travel. The new joystick provides players with greater intuitive pitch and modulation control for more sound variability.

At the technological heart of the PSR-SX700 is the newly designed graphic user interface complete with an integrated 7.0-inch touch screen display which offers the maximum of user-friendly functionality. As for sound, the PSR-SX700 possesses a comprehensive and sonically stunning set of 1,507 high-quality authentic voices and 400 styles for unlimited musical combinations. All functions can now be activated even faster using the new assignable buttons, making each function instantly recallable with a single touch.

In terms of memory, the PSR-SX comes equipped with 1 GB user memory and further 400 MB expansion memory for Voice & Style Expansion. In addition to WAV recording, MP3 recording is also available, as well and audio files which can be both played via USB-to-device and user memory.

Created with the same dynamic style, the PSR-SX900 offers even more features for professional composition and performances. This includes a total of 1,873 voices, 525 styles for greater musical choice, as well as new drum kits (derived from the Revo! Drums of Genos) that add greater authenticity to every composition and performance. An additional Chord Looper function allows to record and playback chord sequences, freeing your left hand from playing, while the new expansive sound field Speaker, Bluetooth® audio and high-resolution sound for line out, sub-outs enhance every performance. Moreover, the PSR-SX comes with 4 GB user memory and further 1 GB expansion memory for Voice & Style Expansion.

AVAILABILITY
The Yamaha PSR-SX700 and PSR-SX900 will be available starting September at all selected Yamaha PSR-SX dealers. For more information, please go to europe.yamaha.com or contact your local Yamaha PRS-SX dealer.
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Robert van Weersch

Re: Official Press Release: "new drum kits derived from Revo!"
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 02:09:35 PM »
"derived from" is such a versitale word in the marketing business  8)   
  • Actually based on the same technology, but somewhat simplified
  • Based on the old tech, but someone decided to "consolidate" tech names
  • Created by the same Revo team
  • Created by a team that was located in an office next to the Revo team
  • Created by someone who read the Revo white papers
  • New tech by an intern and labeled "Revo" by some marketing genius
It can mean almost anything. Comparing the Genos and SX by listening, will clarify this.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

Offline voodoo

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 02:23:50 PM »
"derived from" is such a versitale word in the marketing business  8)   

;D

I understood, that the same samples are used, at least one sample from each cycling group.

But you are right. I was thinking too easy.  :D
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 02:32:09 PM »
Well, I think your assumption, in your first post, is correct. Same sample sets, the same styles (minus the non-MIDI Revo part) and no wave-cycling.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

Offline marcodg

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 02:50:30 PM »
I wrote this yesterday after reading the Data list. In Genos in Datalist the revo drums are clearly named. In DataList from PX they are named live Drums!
Yamaha Genos, Korg pa4x,  Korg EC5, Yamaha FC7, Yamaha FC4A,, Yamaha L-515 B, Sennheiser E845, Behringer Eurolive B208, JBL EON ONE, Yamaha GNS-01

Offline panos

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 04:47:58 PM »
I 'm not sure how Revo drums sound on Genos so I searched on youtube.
I can't find something useful to understand the difference between them and the other drumkits.
Sorry but if they are not on Youtube, then I assume they are not something impressive.
Are Genos users prefer to change the normal drumkits with Revo drums in Style creator?
If you could also point some videos with someone playing a cover on Genos by using a style with revo drums I would appreciated it.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 05:18:02 PM »
I 'm not sure how Revo drums sound on Genos so I searched on youtube.
I can't find something useful to understand the difference between them and the other drumkits.
Sorry but if they are not on Youtube, then I assume they are not something impressive.
Are Genos users prefer to change the normal drumkits with Revo drums in Style creator?
If you could also point some videos with someone playing a cover on Genos by using a style with revo drums I would appreciated it.

I agree with you. Of course revo technology has its importance, but I see no difference in Genos audiences on that. Maybe after a while listening, you can tell the difference, but I doubt it's something that surprising.

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline Enildo

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 09:51:03 PM »
Hello

Explain one thing to me: Is this drum that is playing It's a drum by Revo technology?

https://youtu.be/sIWjlYMf49M?t=654

Enildo

Offline Eric, B

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 11:41:55 PM »
Hello

Explain one thing to me: Is this drum that is playing It's a drum by Revo technology?

https://youtu.be/sIWjlYMf49M?t=654

Enildo

Yes it is. ;)
You have two things here
1. Very high quality sampled drum kits that sound as realistic as the audio drums
2. Wave cycling, which means that no drummer can hit the drum with the exact same force each time .
There are slight variations with each hit. Wave Cycling emulates that.
What I can hear in my Genos is, that it even hits different parts (sections) of the snare drum which will have a slight different sound.
Just like a real drummer.
The SX900 seems to have the same high quality samples minus the wave cycling. ...
Hope this helps.
Eric
Genos, PSR-S970

Offline Enildo

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 12:09:05 AM »
Yes it is. ;)
You have two things here
1. Very high quality sampled drum kits that sound as realistic as the audio drums
2. Wave cycling, which means that no drummer can hit the drum with the exact same force each time .
There are slight variations with each hit. Wave Cycling emulates that.
What I can hear in my Genos is, that it even hits different parts (sections) of the snare drum which will have a slight different sound.
Just like a real drummer.
The SX900 seems to have the same high quality samples minus the wave cycling. ...
Hope this helps.
Eric

I do not see any difference.
I think I would have to have a lot of experience with this thing, to realize the real difference.
If anyone has audio with the differences between a normal drum and a revo, please post here.

Enildo

Offline Enildo

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2019, 12:36:38 AM »
From what I see, these are small differences that I can make by changing the level (of the parts of each drum),
in the touch function when recording style in Style Creator.
Maybe I'm talking about something I don't understand.

Enildo

Offline hans1966

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2019, 04:14:42 AM »
Hi Enildo, I totally agree with you. Martin Harris uses the OrchRockBallad2 style in the Genos, I was looking at my S975, and I found the same style but with the name ContempRockBld. It has the same variations and breaks as the Genos. The Drums sound the same to me. the only difference I found is that in my S975, it is heard with Reverb, while in Genos the knock is dry,  otherwise it is the same style but with a different name. Greetings. Hans
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 04:26:32 AM by hans1966 »
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline panos

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2019, 07:05:22 AM »
Thank you very much guys for the explanation about how Revo drums work on Genos.  :)

If a difference in volume is important then we can set a style part to 16 length and edit the preset drum parts with small changes in volumes for some notes.
It is not hard to do it if someone likes it and gives such attention to drum sounds.
I just use more patterns for fill ins sometimes if I find different styles with a similar drum kit.
The more usual procedure I do is just to change the volumes of some drum sounds in the preset pattern.

So, for all organs that play notes we try to make the.... "musician" to sound as perfect as possible 
and the drum player who doesn't play "do re mi" notes we try to make him sound not perfect.
Got it!  ;)

Offline Enildo

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2019, 12:34:24 PM »
Hi Enildo, I totally agree with you. Martin Harris uses the OrchRockBallad2 style in the Genos, I was looking at my S975, and I found the same style but with the name ContempRockBld. It has the same variations and breaks as the Genos. The Drums sound the same to me. the only difference I found is that in my S975, it is heard with Reverb, while in Genos the knock is dry,  otherwise it is the same style but with a different name. Greetings. Hans

That's right Hans!
I checked the style and left it a little drier and if it didn't look the same, it looked very similar.
Of course the sounds will sound better in Genos.

Enildo

Offline Enildo

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2019, 12:42:44 PM »
Thank you very much guys for the explanation about how Revo drums work on Genos.  :)

If a difference in volume is important then we can set a style part to 16 length and edit the preset drum parts with small changes in volumes for some notes.
It is not hard to do it if someone likes it and gives such attention to drum sounds.
I just use more patterns for fill ins sometimes if I find different styles with a similar drum kit.
The more usual procedure I do is just to change the volumes of some drum sounds in the preset pattern.

So, for all organs that play notes we try to make the.... "musician" to sound as perfect as possible 
and the drum player who doesn't play "do re mi" notes we try to make him sound not perfect.
Got it!  ;)

I also think like you, Panos!
We can use a length of 16 to 32 allowed, to get a good job if that's important.
If they have 26 layers, this is not too difficult to do. I don't think you need to do all this to get a good result.
Thank you

Enildo
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 12:46:50 PM by Enildo »

Offline Eric, B

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2019, 06:54:30 PM »
One thing I learned a long time ago, is to take YouTube videos with a grain of salt.
They never do the real thing justice. To much gets lost.
I have the S-970 and the Genos.
Online they sound very similar. Yes.  However there is a big difference hearing them live through my PA system.
Eric
Genos, PSR-S970

Offline panos

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2019, 04:49:32 PM »
Thank you Eric for the answer :)
I can understand that if you play your music on your Genos and I  hear it on my TV's speakers the sound won't be the same and not so analytic.
So it seems to be a small but yet noticeable difference for a trained ear.