Author Topic: Is it still worth spending money on arranger keyboard anymore?- Personal opinion  (Read 393302 times)

Offline Toril S

Beautiful music Valentin.
But I prefer my keyboards :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline markstyles

I LOVE the Genos, and Tyros line before them..   The first arranger I used was Band-in-a-box, almost 30 years ago.   I quit playing in bands, and working in studios when I was 30.  I enjoy playing all the parts.   Before arrangers it was a much more laborious process.  You had to 'build' the song to a certain stage, to really feel 'where it was going to go.    I never used any arranger, as the whole entity of the song.    (Granted the Tyros and Genos are great playing live, in one take)..

What I loved about Band-in-a-box was that it would give you a quick sound picture of what the song was going to sound like.  Previous to that, it would take me a few hours to build the song, then realize I wanted to change the chords, the key, change tempo, etc.   Then have to start from scratch again.  With Genos you can very quickly create a song.  Listen, and redo to make any changes you want. 

I sometimes use the style created parts as is.  Quite often I use it as the starting idea and build from there.   

I think each persons approach is individual.  If I was a brilliant piano player (which I am not)..  I would likely be more inclined to play solo piano.  The beauty of an arranger kbd is, you can use it to varying degrees.  If you joy and fun, playing live.  it's perfect for that.  If you want to create the 'bed' of the song, and play your own melody, or overdub additional line onto the song.

It is extremely satisfying to play a keyboard and have it create a rich full sound.  It's up to each person's technique and use, how effective an arranger kbd is to them.

30SWG

Hi Valio, I think we should all look at what fantastic improvements have been made in such a short time to keyboards. Go back a few years and you had to be content with a few electronic sounds, nothing like authentic, selected by buttons or numbers. However with better quality sound, digital processing and incredible mixing and all manner of manipulation, even built in synthesized original sounds can be manufactured.  We can create or even replicate sounds of how we remember them from original bands or singers. Even the fatar keyboard bed has a variable touch which is just superb.
In my instance I started with one of the first arranger keyboards the Casio MZX-500  which was no slouch either but graduating from the Yamaha PSR 410, then PSR 970, then the Genos came with quantum leaps both in the number of quality sounds, styles, midi capabilities and pedal board support for its fabulous Cathedral sounds. However, the greatest improvement has to be the 9" colour touch screen with such quick setup and retrieval or viewing of sub screens and more direct access to vital, quick program changes through many selectable registrations is a fantastic improvement. How the instrument can produce authentic sounding 32 foot organ pipes with thunderous power through its superb sub woofer still amazes me. Add John Beesley's V-Console for 8 extra ranks, couplers and many other enhancements and you have the ultimate keyboard. The version 2 upgrade by Yamaha is another leap forward. Perhaps approaching 80 years of age I've been fortunate to witness all these remarkable advancements and live to enjoy them.

Offline Toril S

I agree! KeYboards have become fantastic instruments!!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page