Author Topic: Demonstration of Chord Looper and section reset  (Read 5375 times)

Offline voodoo

Demonstration of Chord Looper and section reset
« on: August 01, 2019, 08:55:22 AM »
Here are official videos from Yamaha showing the chord looper

* https://youtu.be/kfIHzKzyZok
* https://youtu.be/7t8UATMMIbE
* https://youtu.be/psob26HZEVM
* https://youtu.be/7pvmPSSgXDo

And here the demonstration of the style section reset

* https://youtu.be/cxlKY9dNeZM

Uli

Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

The following users thanked this post: Joe H, hans1966

Offline voodoo

Re: Demonstration of Chord Looper and section reset
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 09:10:31 AM »
So what is cool about chord looper:

* chord looper has a full touch screen UI. So I hope that it will be brought to Genos. Perhaps with assignable buttons.
* We have chord looper banks that can memorize up to 8 chord sequences and we can play back them easily.
* With iPad Chord Tracker we can send chord sequences from songs to the keyboard and save it to a chord looper bank.

So Yamaha has needed a long time to come up to the corresponding Korg function called chord sequencer. But now, that have made it even better.
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

The following users thanked this post: Joe H

Offline voodoo

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 09:15:56 AM »
What is cool about section reset:

* It does not only resets to beat 1, but to measure 1 beat 1. So you can control longer style sections more easily.
* It can be triggered using a foot switch.

This also a very cool new feature. Hope it will find its way to Genos.
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

The following users thanked this post: Joe H, hans1966

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 09:41:29 PM »
Thanks for the info Uli! Most of our time is spent on house hunting, but I am interested in the new developments. I hope the chord sequencer will come to Genos. Great observation.

-- pj

The following users thanked this post: vaazoo350

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 07:47:36 PM »
The Chord Looper is a good thing.

But: Only Yamaha's marketing strategists know why such a simple basic feature is reserved for the flagship.

Offline valio7771

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 07:30:31 PM »
Chord looper is not a revolutionary discovery as we all know, it's been out for quite a while now in number of midrange Korg arrangers. Roland BK series had it too, and even had audio looper on top of that, which could also be synced with the style tempo. Too bad that keyboard never appealed to me even though it's packed with very neat features.
There are number of real questions here in regard to how extensive or basic the Yamaha marketing strategists has allowed this function will to be? I would be extremely surprised if it allows you to store those chord progressions inside the Registration memories so they can be stored and recalled with the rest of the settings for the particular song. For example, if I need the chord looper to play the left hand for me during solos when I need to use the pitchbend more often, will I be able to store that inside the Registration and just hit ONE button, and it's there or I have to record it every time while playing?
Also, will there be any length limit in how many bars you can record a single loop?
Will you be able to change style while looper is on without cutting of the loop?

Post edit:
Just read the reference manual, and it looks like you can record/edit/import/export chord loops inside .cbl files which each one contains 8 bank loop memories, but it wasn't clear if that is related in any way with Registration memories.
Valentin
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 07:49:28 PM by valio7771 »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 07:41:42 PM »
What is cool about section reset:

* It does not only resets to beat 1, but to measure 1 beat 1. So you can control longer style sections more easily.
* It can be triggered using a foot switch.

This also a very cool new feature. Hope it will find its way to Genos.

I've done this for one style with a short Intro A... I repeat it 3 times then go to Intro B then finally to Intro C before the styles goes to Main A.  Then I do the same thing for the ending... 3x Intro A, then Intro B and finally Ending C.

So it would be nice to do this with a foot switch instead of my Left hand.

Joe H
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 11:33:49 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline ckobu

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 08:40:15 PM »
Chord looper is not a revolutionary discovery as we all know, it's been out for quite a while now in number of midrange Korg arrangers. Roland BK series had it too, and even had audio looper on top of that, which could also be synced with the style tempo. Too bad that keyboard never appealed to me even though it's packed with very neat features.
There are number of real questions here in regard to how extensive or basic the Yamaha marketing strategists has allowed this function will to be? I would be extremely surprised if it allows you to store those chord progressions inside the Registration memories so they can be stored and recalled with the rest of the settings for the particular song. For example, if I need the chord looper to play the left hand for me during solos when I need to use the pitchbend more often, will I be able to store that inside the Registration and just hit ONE button, and it's there or I have to record it every time while playing?
Also, will there be any length limit in how many bars you can record a single loop?
Will you be able to change style while looper is on without cutting of the loop?

Post edit:
Just read the reference manual, and it looks like you can record/edit/import/export chord loops inside .cbl files which each one contains 8 bank loop memories, but it wasn't clear if that is related in any way with Registration memories.
Valentin

Chord Looper exists as part of the registration memory. This means that they will be able to memorize the registration and call with any Style.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Watch my video channel

Offline valio7771

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 11:34:09 PM »
Chord Looper exists as part of the registration memory. This means that they will be able to memorize the registration and call with any Style.

Splendid!
It's always good to see a fully implemented feature that isn't just a gimmick, ant it actually help you focus on your performance.