Author Topic: Chord looper for Genos  (Read 12063 times)

Chord looper for Genos
« on: July 31, 2019, 01:18:55 PM »
Chord loop for Genos.
Yamaha PSR-SX900 is about to be released, everything is a shortened copy inherited from Genos, but there is a completely new feature called Chord Looper. It is a very useful feature when you play only 4 or 8 chords that are repeated.
I for example when you play cards Careless Whisper. It only consists of 4 chords that are used for looping until the end of the song.
Then you use the chord loop to free your left hand from the boredom of pressing those four chords repeatedly.
So is it possible to bring this feature to Genos? when it was produced and no physical buttons were available for this feature.
I think yamaha can absolutely bring this feature to the current Genos through an update. And we can assign it to any key of ABCDEF on available Genos.
But ..... Will Yamaha do that? It is a feature of great value in terms of business.
Perhaps, Yamaha will save it for Genos 2

Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

Offline elad770

Re: Chord looper for Genos
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 01:33:39 PM »
What about, taking the mp3 file of the original song, Load it and simply fake pressing on any keys you want?  ;) ;D

I'm joking of course but with a bit of seriousness. Look, at the end of the day if i don't feel that i'm contributing to the music being produced, what is the point of playing?

Even chord fingering (pressing on one key to producing a chord) i think should be used when there's a complexity that can not be overcome but not as a substitute to learning how to play the actual chord!

Chord Loop? I don't know.... I guess it depends on the user and its intentions. If you are doing it because you want to free both hands to play this crazy pattern of music momentarily, i would say there's a room for this feature. But if you embrace this feature because you are too lazy to learn how to play a chord and repeat it, so people will actually feel you are playing, I'm not in favor!

Nice post though!

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 01:54:48 PM »
Tyros and Genos already have the ability to add song markers on the fly and repeat between them. Aside from the dedicated chord loopers possibly being a little simpler to set up, you can do this today on Tyros / Genos if you want.
Genos

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 02:00:31 PM »
Tyros and Genos already have the ability to add song markers on the fly and repeat between them. Aside from the dedicated chord loopers possibly being a little simpler to set up, you can do this today on Tyros / Genos if you want.

Today's instruments are strongly complemented to playing electronic music, EDM.
You will see how valuable the chord looper button is when playing a 30-minute EDM song
Genos + Motif XS7

Offline elad770

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 02:01:22 PM »

That's good to know and thank you for sharing . However I don't see myself using this feature because I have to feel that I'm pressing on the keys and causing something to happen even though on the genos there are so many things that I'm not doing at least telling the keyboard what chords I want it to Play. I think that's the least I can do. Lol

Offline elad770

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 02:05:05 PM »
Today's instruments are strongly complemented to playing electronic music, EDM.
You will see how valuable the chord looper button is when playing a 30-minute EDM song

So you are saying that we are transitioning into instruments that can also be served as DJ station sort of speak. I guess with the addition of live controls and the ability to connect midi control instruments I guess this can be handy. This is not my turf but I see where you're coming from now

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 09:11:47 AM »
Look, at the end of the day if i don't feel that i'm contributing to the music being produced, what is the point of playing?

Well, hitting the SyncStart button and pressing a chord produces a wealth of musical content. What is the contribution of the player here? I'd say the real contribution starts after pressing the chord. If the song you're performing does have a looping chord progression (often to be found when soloing), a chord looper frees the left hand for musical contributions that wouldn't be possible otherwise. I'm sure people will come up with a lot of other creative uses for a chord looper. So let's use it and please Yamaha, do implement this in Genos.
Regards, Michael

Offline voodoo

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 09:25:03 AM »

Hi Derek,

yes you are right. The midi recorder of Tyros and Genos can be used as a chord sequencer.

Pro:

* We can record a style play with chord progression. When playing back, we can use it with another style. Then the recorded style tracks are muted and only the chord progression is used. This works on all PSR/Tyros/Genos keyboards and is something a Korg keyboard cannot do (because it can play style OR song only, no combination possible.)

* On Tyros/Genos we have song markers and loop function. This works also very well. On PSR the loop function was not usable because it added a short pause and a count in before every loop play.

Con:

* When entering and leaving the midi recorder, the loaded song is erased. But this bug is only on Genos, not on Tyros or PSR.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Bachus

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 10:27:16 AM »
currently i am using my ipad as a chord looper.

Never figured out how to set up the style engine to follow the chords on a track in an internal midi song.  So if someone wants to enlighten me?

Offline voodoo

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 02:49:08 PM »

Never figured out how to set up the style engine to follow the chords on a track in an internal midi song.  So if someone wants to enlighten me?

Bachus,

it seems to be very easy.

* Start Midi Quick recording
* Start Style play
* Play some chords with left hand
* Optionally play some melody with right hand

* Playback recorded song: You hear style play and melody play.
* Then during playback of song, start style play
* Now the tracks that have recorded the style play are getting muted
* Instead you can select any other style
* The chords from the original recording now are used for new style
* The tracks for panel voices are not muted, so your recorded melody keeps playing, if available.

* Use sync start to start song play and style play at the same time.

It is due to Yamahas mode less concept, that you can play song and style at the same time. You don't have to switch between modes for song, style or voice play.

How do you do it with your iPad? Can you explain shortly? Which app do you use?

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Joe H

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 03:38:07 PM »
Chord loop for Genos.
Yamaha PSR-SX900 is about to be released, everything is a shortened copy inherited from Genos, but there is a completely new feature called Chord Looper. It is a very useful feature when you play only 4 or 8 chords that are repeated.
I for example when you play cards Careless Whisper. It only consists of 4 chords that are used for looping until the end of the song.
Then you use the chord loop to free your left hand from the boredom of pressing those four chords repeatedly.
So is it possible to bring this feature to Genos? when it was produced and no physical buttons were available for this feature.
I think yamaha can absolutely bring this feature to the current Genos through an update. And we can assign it to any key of ABCDEF on available Genos.
But ..... Will Yamaha do that? It is a feature of great value in terms of business.
Perhaps, Yamaha will save it for Genos 2

From what I saw in the demo, there is at least 4 presets for chord looper... so you can select from 4 different chord progressions on the fly from the touch screen.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline voodoo

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 04:09:29 PM »
From what I saw in the demo, there is at least 4 presets for chord looper... so you can select from 4 different chord progressions on the fly from the touch screen.

Joe H

Joe,

you have 8 chord sequences in one chord looper bank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psob26HZEVM&feature=youtu.be

And this bank can be saved and assigned to a registration. So we have 8 chord sequences for each registration. And they can be selected from touch screen.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Joe H

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 04:16:36 PM »
Joe,

you have 8 chord sequences in one chord looper bank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psob26HZEVM&feature=youtu.be

And this bank can be saved and assigned to a registration. So we have 8 chord sequences for each registration. And they can be selected from touch screen.

Uli

That's even better.  They call them sequences but they are preset chord progressions. That will be a very useful feature.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

DonM

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 04:56:44 PM »
I think many are misunderstanding some of the uses of the "looper".  Here's a post I made today on SZ that may help some see how it can be useful.
"I hope Yamaha has included the ability to store the sequence in memory, and the ability to transpose it while playing. Korg has only recently made it so you can store it to Songbook. They have even INCLUDED chord sequences in some of their new styles.
Roland had this feature many years ago but somehow opted to not included it on the EA7. BK9, an earlier model, still has it, but you can't transpose. The transpose feature is not important to me, but it is to many people.
This feature allows you to play the chords to a song, or a segment of a song, then play back with it, freeing up both hands for use in using the joystick, changing settings, or playing both hands without worrying about chord changes.
I don't use it as much as I should, but it is extremely helpful when pitch bends are needed at the exact moment of chord changes. The songs Sleepwalk, Steel Guitar Rag, Tuff and others NEED this feature, unless you want to just play with full midi sequences, which I don't like to do much."

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2019, 06:04:44 PM »
hi
What is the point of chord loopers when you can play a keyboard.
It is just being lazy.
I personally think that the more things that you accomplish the better your playing gets.
I just like to tidy up loose ends on a recording.
Same with arppegiators, you can make pads .So easy to do.
I am self taught and the more you let sink in to your brain the better you get.Assuming your brain is ok!! :P ::)

All the best
John

Leave the repetitive stuff to little Johnny on his walking toy . diddly tink ,diddly tonk over and over.
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Joe H

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2019, 07:13:54 PM »
... "I hope Yamaha has included the ability to store the sequence in memory, and the ability to transpose it while playing...

...I don't use it as much as I should, but it is extremely helpful when pitch bends are needed at the exact moment of chord changes...

I suspect that the chord progressions will transpose like they normally do. I agree, using pitch bend or vibrato right when a chord changes is difficult to pull off. I welcome the joy-stick.  Much better than 2 wheels.

Joe H

Offline Joe H

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2019, 07:18:12 PM »
hi
It is just being lazy.
I personally think that the more things that you accomplish the better your playing gets.
I am self taught and the more you let sink in to your brain the better you get.Assuming your brain is ok!! :P ::)

All the best
John

Leave the repetitive stuff to little Johnny on his walking toy . diddly tink ,diddly tonk over and over.

John,

It depends on the music genre you are playing.  I use arpeggios that you could not play by hand. Multi Pads are simple recorded arps but the live arps can be varied by how you play notes with your right hand. It takes a while to develop techniques for playing a live arpeggiator. It has nothing to do with laziness or a brain problem.

Joe H

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2019, 07:35:47 PM »

Hi Bachus,

Could you please elaborate? I’d be very pleased to use my iPad as a chord looper with my DGX650. Which app are you using for that purpose?

Thanks,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2019, 08:13:49 PM »
Hi Joe
No offense intended, but if i needed  an arppegio i would construct one.
I suppose it a genre that i cannot understand.
I notice modern music is just themes on chord structures which i dislike. Also i dislike singers today with the Millenium Whoop, 3rd to 5th, 5th to 3rd.
Music from bands like Focus, Camel, Pink Floyd, Santana, Chris Rea  is where i am in 7th heaven.

All the best
john :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

DonM

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2019, 09:01:23 PM »
hi
It is just being lazy.

All the best
John

I just took the time to explain why it is important to me.  It is not repetitive any more than playing a style.  I've made a living doing this for 45 years, and don't need anyone to tell me I'm lazy.

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2019, 09:32:39 PM »
Hi Don,

I fully agree with you. Besides being convenient for gigging, a chord looper or chord sequencer is an incredibly creative tool since it enables you to experiment with various styles while improvising with both hands on a given chord progression (from a preexisting song) or on one you’ve devised yourself. Very useful indeed.

Regards,

Vinciane
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 09:44:20 PM by vbdx66 »
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline mikf

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2019, 08:05:09 AM »
Is the Genos chord sequencer actually storing your played sequence in memory - which I can see could be useful. Or is it only a set of pre programmed sequences they provide - which seems much less useful. Reading about it, I was not clear which it was. 
Mike

Offline elad770

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2019, 12:42:53 PM »
Hi Don,

I fully agree with you. Besides being convenient for gigging, a chord looper or chord sequencer is an incredibly creative tool since it enables you to experiment with various styles while improvising with both hands on a given chord progression (from a preexisting song) or on one you’ve devised yourself. Very useful indeed.

Regards,

Vinciane

Why wouldn't you hit the AI All keyboard function and improvise this way? I mean i get it but i don't get it at the same time

Offline mikf

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2019, 12:54:04 PM »
If you are playing piano for example with a small band and vocalist, you would improvise a break using both hands over the other players playing the accompaniment. Same thing with a chord looper. Without the looper you have you improvise the break while driving the chord sequence with your left hand, which while possible might be a bit more restrictive.
Mike

Bachus

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2019, 11:27:35 PM »
hi
It is just being lazy.

All the best
John

The function of the chord looper is to free up the 2nd hand..

There is many reasons you can not play chords on your left hand..

- playing piano style with arpegiated chords
- when emulating a guitar, which requires atleast 6 fingers..
- when using lots of modulation and pitch changes using the joystick
And many more thinsg

Its not a matter of being lazy, its a matter of being creative..
Like playing a contra mellody in the left hand.

The following users thanked this post: Snicker740, KeyboardByBiggs

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2019, 12:17:44 AM »

Hi Bachus!
Can you tell me more about how to do this? Which App do you use on the iPad?
Do you have a video that shows how to do it?
Thanks!
Genos + Motif XS7

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2019, 06:02:18 AM »
To free our left hand ,Chord looper... to complete with a full Keyboard AI mode with parameters (limited list of accepted chords, quantization...)

Offline BartW

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2019, 12:07:30 AM »
I saw the demo of the new PSR series and ****, there are some nice features.
As a Jazz player, you totally want the chord looper. You play over chords all the time, and when you play a solo, this would be especially useful so that you can play a full-range solo with both hands. I do hope that this will make it into the Genos with Rev. 1.5 of the firmware.