Yamaha Keyboards (4 Boards) > Yamaha Keyboards - General

Entry level learning and production pipeline

(1/3) > >>

3dc:
As you know I am trying to setup a simple, affordable and long term music learning and production pipeline but without MIDI keyboards. The initial idea is to buy Yamaha PSR-S670 for my first keyboard and once learned solid basics I would then use it as master keyboard for music production on my PC (really simple games and animation music).

Now I wonder....

Yamaha PSR-S670 is filled with 416 Voice + 34 Drum/SFX Kits + 480 XG Voices. Can I use them in my completely empty DAW (Cockos Reaper) or I have to buy virtual instruments plugins for Reaper?

Can Reaper edit both audio and midi from my PSR keyboard voices in the same way as its able to edit vst plugins?

Thanks for help guys!

SeaGtGruff:
You can play the PSR-S670, send its MIDI output to the computer, and record the data to MIDI tracks in REAPER.

You can play the PSR-S670, send its audio output to the computer, and record the sounds to audio tracks in REAPER.

You can play MIDI tracks in REAPER, send the data to the PSR-S670, and have the PSR-S670 generate sounds using the indicated voices and notes. If you are also sending the PSR-S670's audio output to the computer, you can record the resulting sounds to audio tracks in REAPER.

So yes, you can use the PSR-S670 (or other MIDI keyboard instrument) as though it were a VST plug-in, as long as the PSR-S670 is connected to the computer and turned on so it can receive MIDI instructions from REAPER and then send the resulting audio back to REAPER.

3dc:

--- Quote from: SeaGtGruff on July 31, 2019, 06:16:36 PM ---So yes, you can use the PSR-S670 (or other MIDI keyboard instrument) as though it were a VST plug-in.

--- End quote ---

I was worried no one would see my post due to PSR-SX buzz on this forum. I can't thank you enough for this information. I read the PSR-S670 "computer related information" but the info is very confusing or like in theory this should work.   

Thanks again for clarification.

SeaGtGruff:
You're welcome! I don't have a PSR-S670, but I do this sort of thing with my PSR-E keyboards. :)

3dc:
I now understand a little bit more about music production using only PC and master MIDI keyboard ( no sound - only data ) but the one with arranger keyboard ( MIDI and sound ) is still a bit unclear to me. Its clear to me that in all digital music production basically there are no limits when working with VST, plugins and DAW.

What would be a simple workflow in empty Reaper DAW ( no virtual instruments or sounds ) with Yamaha arranger keyboard ( in function as VST instrument ) and its sounds on ultra simple example:

Sounds: Drums + Bass + Piano + Guitar

Since Reaper has no sounds and I want to use arranger sounds anyway how do I assemble these sounds into one song with Yamaha workstation-arranger?  So things that are not clear to me are:

Is step edit and sequencer in Reaper DAW using Yamaha sounds possible?
How do you then render a complete song ( Yamaha or Reaper )?

Sorry for bothering you guys... :-[

P.S. I am armed with literature for music theory, home studio music production and all sorts of books and video tutorials for keyboard and piano. I just have to chew them somehow.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version