Author Topic: Experimenting with playing with less to create more  (Read 6535 times)

ekurburski

Experimenting with playing with less to create more
« on: July 31, 2019, 03:51:59 AM »
I was watching an old Peter B session at KeyboardAmerica  where Peter showed how he played the left hand chords over a bare, trimmed down style on the Tyros and realized I could do the same on my 3000.  Not only can I do it, I love the effect.  I have it set up with just drums, bass and piano or guitar in the style and an organ sound in left hand.  I can play my own rhythms, broken chord patterns or counter melody in left hand which gives me a lot more variation on the style.  Now the question is how can I use the different style parts and OTS keeping the setuio I'm using and keeping the left hand voice I'm using when I switch to the new variation of the style?

Offline RoyceM

Re: Experimenting with playing with less to create more
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 04:18:53 AM »
This sounds most interesting to me.

My comment might not address what you wish to accomplish (and I might not correctly understand).

Perhaps registrations could be used to transition among configuration changes of a style instead of using multiple modified-and-saved style variations.

If I'm missing the point, please clarify for me.

- Royce
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

Janus

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 06:02:30 AM »
I use midi setups to do the job
Mute the channels you don't need
Give the setup a name like only (drum-bas-guitar)
And save
most i only use the drums
gives my left hand free to play  the bass

Gr.Jan
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 06:06:06 AM by Janus »

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 10:44:53 AM »
I think the best way is to make the changes then save the style as a new style with a different name in a favorites folder. Over time you will build up a folder of styles the way you like them.
Mike

ekurburski

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 07:07:12 PM »
I really expected Fred Smith would chime in with the registration solution.  I kind of had already figured out the registration solution would be my answer.  Was just hoping that there was a way to do it with a couple of key strokes.  Imagine it will take me a couple years to set up and really learn my kb.  This might in fact keep me from upgrading.  Imagine the time it would take to learn a new kb!

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 07:15:13 PM »
Mike has the answer. Earl, I would like to hear a demonstration of this please? Very interesting!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

ekurburski

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 07:45:30 PM »
One of the advantages of Mikes solution is that the style one creates can be used on updated models with little to no modification.  Doesn't matter that its the old style format  or new, right?