Author Topic: CVP vs Tyros/Genos  (Read 371 times)

Offline Nocturne64

CVP vs Tyros/Genos
« on: July 30, 2019, 07:09:56 PM »
Hello, I'm evaluating to replace my old piano with a new Clavinova CVP series, because I need internal arranger section. I do not know which piano yet, probably I will wait when new 800 series will be released. But I would like heard your opinion about arranger sections compared with top Yamaha arrangers like Tyros5 or Genos. I believe voices are similar (they are so good in CVPs I tried), but what about additional features? Is there something you can do with arrangers keyboard and not with Clavinovas? All possible advices are greatly appreciated. Thank you

Offline Gill

Re: CVP vs Tyros/Genos
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 10:01:06 PM »
Looks like you donít have any responses yet, so I will offer one.

I have had a Tyros5-76 since they came out.  Really enjoyed it.  Lusted after the Genos when it came out, but held off.  Was waiting to see what the new Clavinova would look like.   Recently bought a used CVP-709 at what I think was a good price.  Really enjoy it as well.  I am selling the Tyros5.  So thatís my vote.  Here are the main reasons why.

Love the touch screen on Clavinova (though the interface is not perfect, of course).  Love the sound system.  (Just never could get the audio from the Tyros to sound right.  I have the Tyros speakers and have tried larger/different speakers to no avail.  Just have not been able to get the full sound I wanted in my relatively small music room.)  And I do like playing on something that feels more like a real piano, though I have played an organ or keyboard with plastic keys most of my life, rather than a piano.  I thought I would miss the big hard drive, but a USB stick works just fine, even with thousands of style files.

Miss the Multi-pads, but really never used them much.  Miss the third right voice, but not all that much.  Miss the awesome style packs and voices that are available for Tyros and not so much for Clavinova.  Hate that I canít transfer my purchases to the Clavinova.  Fortunately, there are enough free styles available that I will never be able to play them all in my lifetime.

Iím not a professional musician.  I play only for my own entertainment. Iím a ďmelody and chordsĒ player.  I almost never do any multi-track recording or editing.  I love these instruments because they can make a mediocre player like me sound like I know how to play.

Canít say which is better for your needs.  I enjoy them both, but since the Clavinova came in the house, I have only played the Tyros a few times.

From what I have read so far (not much), it does not look like the new Clavinova is much of an upgrade, so I will stay with the 709 for a while.

Oh, and I briefly owned a CVP-307, which I also enjoyed.  Even an older Clavinova like this plays and sounds great.  Playing it motivated me to go ahead and spend the extra bucks on the 709.

Hope this was helpful to you.  I imagine this will prompt some others to chime in with other opinions, too.

The following users thanked this post: Nocturne64, joner77778899

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 07:04:40 AM »
Nocturne,
Did you look back on your previous thread? There may be extra later info that you did not see.

John

The following users thanked this post: Kenneve, pmahl

Offline Nocturne64

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 03:11:37 PM »
Thank you for your reply. Yes I got other replies in a similar thread I opened in Keyboard section, as I got no reply here last week. I'm convincing you (and other users) are right, Clavinova is better than any arranger keyboard, and surely the best choice for me, better than Genos. I'm a pianist, so I want to play always on a good keyboard, also during "light" playing with arranger features. No matter if some features are lost compared to Genos. Also, I watched demo videos about new CVP809, and main voices look amazing. I will take my final decision after this summer. Thank you again.

Offline Gill

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 05:00:34 PM »
Consider carefully the differences in a CVP-709 vs 809.  Given the large apparent price increase, you can probably buy a lightly used 709 for half the price of a new 809.  Watch and listen to some of the 709 videos.  Based on the information on the 809 released so far, I'm just not seeing the difference between the two.  That is subject to change, of course, as we find out more information on the 809.

If you are in the US, you might try Facebook Marketplace.  I have had good luck buying and selling Clavinovas and other items there.  No fees, and I have not had any problems (yet) with weird buyers/sellers.  Even if you have to drive a few hundred miles, it is worth it to save thousands of dollars.

Good luck in your quest.  Would be interested to hear what you decide and why.

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 05:38:34 PM »
I had look at several of the videos on the new CVP 800 series, and I had the impression there are feature and sound upgrades from the 700 series, including the main piano voice. That is not to say though that they will or will not be important to an individual player. there was not a lot between the 600 series and 700 series. I have a 605 and a 705 and there are only two differences which matter to me - the addition of the Bosendorfer voice sample, and the fancy piano room feature with instant accompaniment. 
I think what is important before finalizing anything is to try the -05 and the -09 models side by side. Doesn't matter if it is the 705 and 709, 605 and 609 or 805 and 809, because the only difference is the same in all - the key action. When I bought the 705 I tried the 709 right alongside it, and I thought the difference minimal, but the price hike was huge.
I think nocturne is in the UK going by his local time, which is the same as mine.
Nearly all the decent piano shops in the UK have CVPs in the showroom, and every major town has at least one piano store.   
Mike