Author Topic: The compact version of Genos has appeared  (Read 23651 times)

The compact version of Genos has appeared
« on: July 27, 2019, 04:12:16 PM »
The shortened version of Genos has appeared.
Yamaha PSR-SX900 (It is a compact version of Genos but possesses more advanced features than Genos such as Bluetooth, Loop Chord ...)

- Touch screen, interface like genos. (smaller size)
- Two front USB ports
- 3 voices for the right hand
- Loop chord mode (Same as previous korg)
- No after touch
- Keyboard type is still light and shallow like S975 with 61 keys
- There is DEC - INC button under the data wheel
- 1400 Voices, 500 Styles.
- 1Gb memory Sample
- Bluetooth Audio
- 15W + 10W x2 Amps
- Sub Woofer Output
- 4Gb memory User
- Weight 11.5Kg (25 lbs)
- Price about $2100 USD

« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 04:57:04 PM by Snicker740 »
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

The following users thanked this post: tomtomsf, dragon, hans1966, dtah80, cliffordleo1965

beykock

Re: The compact version of Genos has appeared
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 05:10:44 PM »
Looks to be a nice, pro kb.

Same Genos multipads ?
When available ?

Plse advise. Thanks, Babette

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 05:23:05 PM »
Am I right in that the rubber buttons are gone, and that there is smooth plastic buttons instead? Hope so!
And I hope it can be fittet with VoiceGuide! Interesting, but I am not jumping out of my chair in joy. If it had choir and scat voices I would consider giving it a chance though.....
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 05:54:58 PM »
There are two style categories missing, Country and Ballad,both of which I use a lot. I'm sure they are still in the keyboard, but buried in other categories.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

beykock

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 06:10:52 PM »
Hi Toril :

Apparently there are no built-in vocal mps like in your T5.😰
S970/S975 owners were asking for that feature,
right ?

I wonder what the BT connection will bring.
BT headphones, speakers, smartphone etc ?

Babette

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 06:55:34 PM »
$2000 for it seems a bit too much.

Also why would they make a Genos Mini.
Genos demand would drop

Edit ( I saw the assignable button ) 😌

I'm quite happy with my PSR 770.
I believe if you're good at playing you can make a cheap Keyboard sound good. 

The only disappointed with my keyboard is
Extreme low Memory for Packs :(
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 07:02:05 PM by Normanfernandez »
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 08:47:55 PM »
THe KORG PA700 & PA1000 have been taking a lot of this below £2000 sales so this is no doubt Yamaha response.
DGX670

Offline panos

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 08:57:46 PM »
Those who would buy a Tyros or a Genos, they will still continue to buy the best keyboard out there Norman (better keybed+aftertouch=better voices and better stuff in everything else).

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 11:03:03 PM »
The SX series will not be a threat to Genos any more than the S Series was a threat to Tyros Norman.
  Some people just require a smaller keyboard and don't particularly want all the vocal voices and extra's you get with the flagship.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 11:24:59 PM »
I would love to have the vocal voices in a smaller package. But that will unfortunately not happen.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 12:05:10 AM »
There are two style categories missing, Country and Ballad,both of which I use a lot. I'm sure they are still in the keyboard, but buried in other categories.

Gary 8)

Well those styles are available on the main PSR Tutorial website for download.

:)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 02:38:33 AM »
Plus, I have thousands of 3rd party Country Styles on my USB drive. Surely will not miss anything with the lack of those categories under buttons, but I would love to see the style list when it becomes available for the SX900 - should be interesting.

All the best,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Pino

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 03:04:11 AM »
Guys, nothing is missing, it’s all there in different boxes, this started with the S975 when the Latin & Ballroom where put together

Why the need for all these buttons when we have a touch screen, my Ketron SD40 works flawlessly with just the on-screen style and voice categories and I think the Genos also.

Pino

Offline Patrick

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2019, 04:05:09 AM »
Hi all, it's a big yes for me! i'll change for this new KB; i just hope the migration from my S970 will be easy! have a nice Sunday; all the best Patrick

Offline Joe H

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2019, 04:34:55 AM »
Those photos don't show the Multi Pad buttons or OTS buttons.  Should I assume they are there?

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2019, 07:31:52 AM »
Those photos don't show the Multi Pad buttons or OTS buttons.  Should I assume they are there?

Yes. OTS buttons are placed to the right of the registration buttons (you can see that for a short time in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8HZh0MfTZI where the pics above have obviously been copied). You don't see the multipad buttons but they should be found right to the OTS buttons.
Regards, Michael

Offline panos

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2019, 07:45:08 AM »
From what I see I expect the price to be higher than previous psrs.
As for the style category buttons,I am mostly used to hit just the expansion pack category and then move to usb stick where the "saved" styles are.
I wouldn't expect also the OTS and pad buttons to be anywhere else Joe,as long as their position with the Genos the s950-970-975 is the same.

Offline soryt

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2019, 11:00:57 AM »
The 7"display, flimsy 975 keys, no aftertouch , 1gb sample memory and a lot more features missing, it is stil no comparison with the Genos .
Nice upgrade fore the 975 owners .

Soryt  8)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline EileenL

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2019, 12:20:34 PM »
Well at half the price you would not expect it to be a Genos would you. As is always said "You gets what you pays for"  ;)

Offline metcam

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2019, 01:54:15 PM »
So far looks very good to me...

I hope there will be also A-3000 successor with all new "TERCA" in it...   :)

I hope...

Anyway Since GENOS produced I like directions that YAMAHA goes....

I think is time again to say : THANK YOU YAMAHA

Best regards
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Offline dtah80

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2019, 03:28:34 PM »
Thanks Snicker 740 for sharing with us on the Yamaha PSR - SX900.

Here is the 12 min. youtube video clip, thanks to Jeremy See, with additional info.

https://youtu.be/O8HZh0MfTZI

Have a great day every one!

David
David
Genos, PSR-740, MOXF6

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2019, 03:36:24 PM »
Well I see only 8 registrations and not 10 as on the Genos keyboard. That's a looser for me to jump. Gotta have 10 if we lose the MF and have to use Registrations only for setting up a custom song style.  :P

My S950 listed for $2499 and this is priced at $2100. That is a winner, the computer parts must be getting cheaper these days.  ;D

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2019, 03:47:25 PM »
I watched    dtah80 video link and the USD price is said to be $2700+. That makes more sense.

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2019, 08:02:52 PM »
In David's YouTube link (thanks for that David!), I take exception to this guy calling me a fool for buying a Genos because he thinks this new PSR-SX900 will do the same thing. Listen from 30 secs to 43 secs and tell me you don't feel insulted. Who the h*** does he think he is? He knows what he can do with that comment!!

Plus, we are being told about the PSR-SX900 through some "friend" whose source material comes from a USB stick??? Where did this friend get the info? If I were Yamaha, I'd be dancing on somebody's head!!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2019, 09:16:53 PM »
I don't think anyone can reasonably expect that the PSR-SX900 and 700 will be equal to the Genos. They're more likely to be like the PSR-S975 and PSR-S775 were in comparison to the Tyros5, or like the MODX is in comparison to the Montage.

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2019, 09:24:33 PM »
In David's YouTube link (thanks for that David!)

You're welcome, but my name is Michael  :)
Regards, Michael

Offline panos

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2019, 09:51:25 PM »
He is not calling you a fool,Lee.
He just emphasize a bit to sound more "dramatic" like the journalists do.
In other videos he asked why to spend so much money to buy an expensive keyboard while the psr E 463 sounds nice and is cheap or that the s670 is much cheaper than the s975,the Tyros and the Genos and has got a great sound and many functions.

Either we like it or not,new potential buyers prefer to watch reviews of any product from youtubers and not just watch a company's advertisement where everything is..."fantastic" about their product.

A keyboardist who have spent time with arranger keyboards can understand better the differences between each series.If he cannot, that's a problem.  :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 09:56:03 PM by panos »

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2019, 10:15:26 PM »
Sorry about that, Michael. Here is what I saw on my side of the forum. All I saw was the name David :).

Thanks Snicker 740 for sharing with us on the Yamaha PSR - SX900.

Here is the 12 min. youtube video clip, thanks to Jeremy See, with additional info.

https://youtu.be/O8HZh0MfTZI

Have a great day every one!

David
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2019, 10:16:54 PM »
Hi,

Also, it should be emphasised that Jeremy See is a keyboard teacher and he has been trying for a long time to find the best “value for money” keyboard for his students, so in this perspective the PSR SX900/700, or even a PSR S670 or PSR E463 might be better value for money for his students than a Genos. A music teacher certainly is bound to have another opinion on that matter than a professional entertainer or than a retiree playing the keyboard for her/his personal enjoyment.

Just my 2 cents,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2019, 10:25:55 PM »
Panos, there is no excuse for his comment, even if it's meant in a journalisitc tone. He is very condescending. How about this:

"For those who have always wanted to own a Genos but have a different budget in mind, there is a very good alternative, the PSR-SX900."

No sir, I spent the better part of 30 years in business and know when I've been insulted for making a buying decision. If I had spoken to my customers like this dude, I would have been told to get lost.

Of course, virtually everyone on this forum knew on the day they walked out of the store with there new Genos, there would be a stripped-down version released someday. This guy makes it sound like we were all fools for not waiting for the SX-900.

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2019, 10:28:18 PM »
Agreed, Vinciane but being a teacher or so-called "professional," he should know better how to express himself. If he would like a lesson on the topic, I'd be glad to coach him - for a fee of course! My opinion stands.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 10:29:23 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2019, 10:50:23 PM »
Panos, there is no excuse for his comment, even if it's meant in a journalisitc tone. He is very condescending. How about this:

"For those who have always wanted to own a Genos but have a different budget in mind, there is a very good alternative, the PSR-SX900."

No sir, I spent the better part of 30 years in business and know when I've been insulted for making a buying decision. If I had spoken to my customers like this dude, I would have been told to get lost.

Of course, virtually everyone on this forum knew on the day they walked out of the store with there new Genos, there would be a stripped-down version released someday. This guy makes it sound like we were all fools for not waiting for the SX-900.

You need to let it go before you give yourself a heart attack (or at least hyper tension).  He's just expressing his opinion... same as you are expressing your opinion. It's not worth loosing your health over.

I agree with the notion it's not really a baby Genos after all... it's just a supped-up PSR S975 with more of everything and some new features which is very typical of what Yamaha does with the release of the next generation keyboard.  This is true for both Yamaha synths and arrangers.

::)

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 10:54:25 PM by Joe H »

Offline panos

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2019, 11:02:44 PM »
C'mon Lee don't take it so personal.Cheer up my friend.You still got the best arranger in your hands.  ;)

There is a difference between the Genos and the "alternative".I would like myself a Tyros 5 but I bought the.... "alternative" s750.
I don't think that anybody expects the new psr to sound as good as the Genos or a Tyros 4 & 5 anyway (different keybed,no aftertouch,probably not all the effects,not choir voices,half polyphony of Genos,lesser keys etc.And  those are just the differences in sound)
But maybe it will sound a little(or more) better than the s975 or maybe for some the s950 will still sound better.

Joe is making jokes.You are a spammer Joe!  ;D

beykock

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2019, 11:48:14 PM »
IMHO :

If someone is buying a new SX arranger keyboard, he
( or she ) wants a comparable sound quality of the high end model but does not need/want 76 keys and the weight nor all the extra features of the high end arranger.

Of course a budget is a very serious issue.

The ( new ) owner can also buy a perfect second hand high end arranger at the same price of a new SX900 e.g.

All depends on the personal needs and wishes of the owner.

Babette

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2019, 11:52:04 PM »
My opinion about his comments stand - and my health is fine. Thanks for asking :). At least I can honestly say I never insulted anyone about their buying decision the way this very rude man has. I'll let it rest now.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2019, 12:28:06 AM »
We now have two threads going on this keyboard can they not be merged.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,50909.msg398501.html#new

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2019, 12:49:51 AM »
Thanks for the post, Eileen.

I would like to see the official Yamaha release video instead of some anecdotal interpretation based on questionable thumb drive information. I somehow doubt Yamaha wants another flagship PSR keyboard introduced in this fashion :)!

Offline EileenL

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2019, 11:30:10 AM »
Yes Lee,
  It is far to early to start guessing what may or not be on this model. All will be known in time and lets us hope it is not pulled to pieces like Genos was before people realised what a good keyboard they had.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2019, 12:29:02 PM »
I vote to keep both threads, it gives us more to read in the morning. ;)

All these keyboards sound the same since the S950 to the average listeners it came out with the new guitar sounds.

The DJ knobs and sounds are the only advance added and older more mature folks don't use them anyway. ;D

Pino

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2019, 01:12:23 PM »
🔺
I totally agree with Drake
I do keyboard lessons and have the 3000, 910, 950 & 975 side by side in my studio.

If I had to go for Big Band/orchestra songs, I’d probably pick the 910 or 950
For EDM then sure the S975,

I do like everything I’ve seen about the new keyboard, but this time, I will not listen to any Yamaha demos, I will go to the music shop, I will play and record 5 songs on the USB recorder and I will take to my studio and I will compare the songs to my other recordings from my other keyboards, if there is a noticeable difference then I may go for it.

If the samples are the same as S975 and not much difference in the recordings then I will stick to what I already have and spend more time on making my own WAV voices.

Pino
🔺

Offline Henni

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2019, 02:01:41 PM »
I could not disagree more! If I convert my new styles to the 950, it does not sound even close to the original anymore. The new model WILL have many of the new Genos voices. Did any of you listen to the "My life" mp3 from Francesco?  I am awestruck by those guitars and I bet the new model will have those too.
...Fly Forever!

Offline voodoo

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2019, 03:27:36 PM »
All these keyboards sound the same since the S950 to the average listeners it came out with the new guitar sounds.

Drake,

my personal opinion is, you are totally right.

I used S950, S970 and now Genos. I think they share the same sample base and the same sound engine. The main differences are feature wise (better keybed, touch display, SA2, Ensemble, more voices, more DSP). But when I use the same voices on different keyboards, they sound identical.

But this is based on judging the quality of voices. It may be the case, that the quality of of styles may differ, when they make use of the new voices and the many DSPs.

Uli
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 03:28:46 PM by voodoo »
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Joe H

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2019, 03:34:30 PM »
I'm what is called a "Power User".  I take advantage of most of the features. Probably more than others do. One of the gripes for those who don't use many of the features is why should they pay for features they don't use.  But as I have said before, from a marketing standpoint, manufacturers have to make "one-size-fits-all" keyboards to make any money.

Joe H

beykock

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2019, 04:10:01 PM »
IMHO there might be much more " Power Users " here than we might think.

Step be step this group is growing every day.
Everybody in his own way.

The features of the modern arranger keyboards are inviting players to do a lot more than just playing a " simple " song.

Thanks to the software and the technique of today many members are using the features of their keyboard to do much more with their kbs than ever before.

Babette

Offline EileenL

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2019, 05:03:13 PM »
As always with these arranger keyboards the choice is yours. You may choose just to sit and select a style and voices then play or you may want to set up and use some of the effects and re-voice certain parts or even build new styles using Style Assembly. What ever you do the important part is that you enjoy it.

Offline reya

« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2019, 05:38:07 PM »
I am a bit surprised to see physical buttons for the voice and style categories combined with the new touch screen.
In Genos the introduction of the touch screen did away with those physical category buttons and I have not missed them one second

Physical buttons do cost money to the manufacturer so I would have expected them to dissapear in the PSR SXxxx models with touch screen as well.
Makes me wonder if the PSR SX screen shots are real .....
Unless of course there is another reason for Yamaha to keep them ???

I guess time will tell ....

Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

Offline EileenL

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2019, 05:54:12 PM »
Maybe they think the screen will be to small to have the lists down the side as we do. Time will tell.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2019, 06:12:29 PM »
I am thankful for every button!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2019, 07:11:58 PM »
Guys, please do not forget that visually impaired musicians would be lost without physical buttons. An arranger which relies too much on a touchscreen is wasted for visually impaired musicians. Besides, many of these persons are musicians because this is the one activity where they can shine and where their handicap won’t hinder them too much.  :o
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2019, 07:14:45 PM »
I'm sure Yamaha engineers put a lot of thought into designing their keyboards.  There is a conscious "intent" with every element of the final design and functionality.

Joe H